East Hills Middle School

Public | 6-7 | 577 students

Posted June 1, 2014

My school is the best school and the teachers are very helpfull so far my son is an A student because of the great school...

Posted October 12, 2010

best school and faculty in the state

Posted March 3, 2010

The principal and vice principal have an athoritarian attitude towards the students, which leaves the students wishing to rebel.

Posted May 21, 2009

Except for not having hardly any Gifted and Talented program in the 6th grade and shutting down the Gifted and Talented Program completely in the 7th grade this school is doing fine.

Posted May 7, 2009

I love this school all of the teachers are great and we learn a bunch! Mr.Whitson is doing a fine job that goes for mrs.garvey to.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 22, 2007

East Hills is a fantastic school. I have two children at EHMS and both have had a great experience. Academics are emphasized and teachers do a great job and have been available when I have questions or concerns. THey also do a good job keeping parents informed on grades. My son is disabled and EHMS has been very proactive about meeting his needs. I have not had to ask for anything from them - they are asking me what we need! From what I hear from other parents this is very unusual in the public school setting. I would highly recommend EHMS to anyone.

Posted January 16, 2007

This is our children's first year at East Hills and their first year in a public school setting. We are extremely pleased with the principal, his staff, faculty, etc. The lesson plan forum is very nice for parents. The Literacy Night, Math Night, Watch Dog program and other events have been great. Not very high attendance at some which leads me to believe some parents do not stay involved with their children's activities, therefore only see maybe the bad. The only negative I see is the Connected Math program that is being used. Parts of it are okay, but we must get our business leaders of the future back to learning basic math skills and to be quick thinkers. Many parents are struggling trying to help their children understand this connected math concept, and there is no where to turn for tutoring, examples of problems, etc. Overall A+

Posted January 10, 2007

My second child is currently going through this school. There have been so many changes that have been made in the last year. Fighting has been a big problam this year. They have added meadition as a form of punishment. The education my 2nd son is reciving is lacking. They have changed the curriculum and not fot the better. I do help out with different events and see a lot of disturbiting behavior from the children and teachers looking away or boys will be boys. I do like the idea of being able to go online and see the teachers lesson plans (when they want to fill them out) My son also loves the principal, he does card tricks.

Posted August 25, 2006

This will be my daughter 3rd year at East Hills. I have had nothing but trouble! I was very excited about moving to Greenwood due to hearing very good reviews about the schools. The school district needs to look into this more closely.

Posted April 19, 2006

This is my daughters first year at Greenwood. Fifth grade is challenging enough and being in a new school was really scary. The principal, teachers and students are excellent. This has been a wonderful year. If they are giving too many detentions, then the students must be needing them. My daughter has not gotten one. I would recommend this school to anyone. I agree, people don't realize how good they have it. Try going somewhere else, and see how great East Hills Middle School is. Thank you for making our transition easy.

Posted April 17, 2006

My daughter has had the worst year ever..She hates school, her self esteem is so low that she could care less weather she does the work or not. The teachers are not there for the children they are there for seeing who can give out the most detentions. I hope no one else feels this way but EHMS should not have won Middle School of the Year in 2005. They did not deserve it. It is very sad that the teachers that do care are leaving or retiring. I would like to hope that no more students would have to go through this but I have a feeling there is alot more of this to come.

Posted February 3, 2006

First, all you people griping about the school, please take your children out and move to Little Rock and have them go to school there. You'll quickly find out what a great school you have in Greenwood. We moved here last year from Little Rock and could not be more pleased. Our son is finally challenged in school and is actually learning something instead of coming home and complaining about being bored. It would appear the gripers here have their own personal issues with school in general having not done so well themselves (example, 'rampid' is not a word, something reasonably educated people should know). Again, we are very pleased with the school and its focus on positive re-inforcement in the learning process rather than the negativity we found in the Little Rock system. You've got it good here and just don't know it.

Posted October 20, 2005

I agree that this school gives out way too many detentions. I have had 2 children go thru this school, and have one there now. Both my older kids academics and self esteem went down hill from the moment they entered EHMS. This got better for them when they left and went to WellsJrHigh. That's a fact. Now my youngest, who is the best kid a parent could ask for is there and getting detentions!

Posted August 31, 2005

I have a nephew that goes here and hates it , the teachers are more concerned with detentions and the clothes the kids wear than teaching and caring , things sure have change since I went to Greenwood , and I certianly will not send my son there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 5, 2005

Obviously some of the people who have provided reviews have personal issues that they need to deal with. I have been involved with this school for several years, and I can tell you that this is a very caring and qualified staff. The academics taught are at a very high level, and the teachers care about their students. The teachers receive many hours of training yearly to ensure quality teaching. They have rules for a purpose, which is to ensure that all students are in a quality learning environment. The administrators are very supportive of both the students and staff. Many incentives are offered for all students. They just have to attend school and do their best to qualify. The PTO is outstanding. Perhaps if more parents were involved they would see just how great this school really is. My kids love it here and don't want to go anywhere else.

Posted May 17, 2005

Whoever evaluates this school has no clue what really goes on here. All of these awards about how wonderful this school is. It's terrible. What happen to the old school way. Talking to kids, helping them understand what they're doing is wrong or hurtful. The teachers don't care. It's just a pay check. Start caring so the kids might start caring.

Posted April 30, 2005

The academics of this school are lacking. There are rules that are pointless. They tell students they can't wear certain things eventhough the hand book says nothing against the wearing of the clothing/cosmetics. They give way to many detentions. Upon the arrival of the new Assistant Principal, students report that things have become much worse. My children and I hated this school. I was so glad when they moved on to Raymond E. Wells Jr. High School.

Posted February 17, 2005

I strongly agree that there is alot of bullying going on and for some reason the teachers are to busy to notice.I heard great things about this school before we started here, but I am very disappointed with what I have seen.I am considering taking my child out of this school.

Posted October 21, 2004

I have a child in this school and am very dissapointed with the lack of education he is recieving. This school loves to hand out dententions left and right. Also bullying seems to be rampid.

Posted May 11, 2004

East Hills is 20 years behind the rest of the world. A confidential conversation with a teacher, where the teacher told me not to tell my child, was relayed to my child by the teacher! A detention was given based on heresay. Calls to the PTA to volunteer aren't even returned. The Vice Principal is a very nice gentleman, however.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 73% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 77% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the End of Course Exam to test high school students in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. The results for End of Course Exams administered in the spring of each school year are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The End of Course Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1211 Wells Dr