Hughes High School

Public | 7-12 | 194 students

Posted April 3, 2014

I sent my 6 year old to this school for MAYBE a month. The school is literally falling apart. They have no playground. The area they did have for the kids to play was right by the road and no fence around it. Those poor kids only had 2 teeter-toters and a marygo-round to play on.. My son had the rudest teacher...maybe its because he was one of the only white students. I felt my son was not getting the education he deserved.

Posted April 18, 2011

This is the worst place in the world full of racism and hate!! Dont send your children here. Every thing was going great untill racism took over. There are more law suits then teachers here. The worst place on the planet
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 14, 2009

I took over a program here at Hughes in November 2008. I must say this school honestly exceeded my expectations. The students who want to excel try hard and perform admirably. The ones who don't have programs they can attend to attempt and get them to complete their education. I am very proud of the students I teach. There is new administration in place which has a strong no tolerence policy for behavioral issues. If you are looking for a school, don't let looks deceive you. Give Hughes a try- I do not believe you will be disappointed
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 19, 2008

I went to hughes in 2008 and it was the funnest school i could have ever gone to.. The kids were alive and the teachers were helpful.. I would really like to go back but i just can't at this time so yeah.. But if anyone is look at this school for your kids you should totally send them there..

Posted October 13, 2008

I am a proud former student of Hughes, I started school there and I graduated from there. I think it is a great school that hit bottom, and is rising back to the top with increasing speed. The number one problem is teachers who do not care about the students, luckly there are only a few. We need more parents to get involved. I now attend college at PCCUA in Stuttgart but my younger brother plays football, and they have the potential to be State Champs one day, that is if the coaches would make practices mandatory. I do have to say that Coach James Wright was the best Football coach Hughes ever seen. Coach Swift and then Coach Jason Carmicheal are the best Basketball coaches Hughes ever seen. But Coach Carmicheal was the most inspring of the two. A proud Blue Devil Honor Graduate, Adrain Richards - Atkins

Posted October 13, 2005

I think Hughes High is a pretty decent school with a few exceptions. They have a few good teachers from which my son has learned alot. My only complaints are that the children get to do their Homework in class instead of at home. Therefore, the parents do not know if their child is doing their homework or not. Also, they should be allowed more time to go to lockers and the restroom. Overall, Hughes is a school full of friends and caring staff. Donna Rose

Posted August 2, 2005

I am not a parent at hhs, but i have a lot of nieces, nephews, and cousins attending there. I graduated from hughes high school with honors in 2002 and am a senior at the university of arkansas @ pine bluff majoring in biology/pre-med. Personally, i think that this school is very good when it comes to education. Because of their guidance and support, I know what I know about education and education quality. There is nothing wrong with this school. I think that some of the problems is with the parents. Some don't care or even check to see if their child is doing their work or even see if they are doing it right. If you don't care about your child getting an education, then take them out of school. It's that simple. If you do care, make them do their work right!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 20, 2005

I am not a parent at Hughes High School, but I am a current student. Our school is progressing each year and visibly getting better.

Posted July 13, 2004

I am not a parent, but an esteemed student of it. Hughes is a great school because of some of the privileges given to those who try their best. Also because of some of the teachers: Mr. Buis, Mrs. Hall, Mr. Braddock, Mr. Walker, Ms. Parr, and Mrs. Adcock and of course Mrs. Manning.

Posted June 17, 2004

I will admit that I was concerned about my daughters going to school here. We even put them in a private school for one year, but they were both unhappy and did awful in their academics. Since moving them back to Hughes, their grades have exceeded my expectations. The new principal is wonderful. She is exactly what Hughes needed. I believe that if more parents were to get involved in their childrens school work and back the principal, we would have a great school.

Posted April 22, 2004

Hughes HighSchool is horrible! I am not a parent, I am a concerned student. When kids need extra help in class they dont get it. The new principal (bless her heart)she tries hard but it doesnt work.

Posted February 24, 2004

The school is a safe and 'home-like' environment, there is no violence. The majority of the teachers are effective but you have to apply yourself and make the best of it.

Posted November 5, 2003

Hughes High School is a perfect example of getting out what you put in. The achieving students at Hughes High are the ones who do what they are assigned. If a kid wants to earn good grades, he must do the work. Hughes High has some of the best teachers I know! I am well pleased with the progress my child has made in the past 2 years. Hughes is small but there are some advanced placement classes available along with the standard core subjects. Getting a decent education is all about what you put in!

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 77% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 70% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 77% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the End of Course Exam to test high school students in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. The results for End of Course Exams administered in the spring of each school year are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The End of Course Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 44% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 98%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

310 College St