Bad
Good

I moved to Jacksonville from Tampa, FL in the middle of my sophomore year and graduated from JHS in 1995. I chose to take as many AP courses as possible, I chose to go to the band hall during lunch and practice, I chose to study, I chose to ask questions of my teachers, I chose to stay out of trouble, etc... As a result of these choices I graduated with honors from both high school and college. The faculty with whom I had an opportunity to work were rather exceptional! Don't get me wrong, the school had fights and gang problems almost daily. I remember when we had an assembly on the new dress code change and it had to be dismissed because it almost turned into a riot. The school was a disaster, but I refused to use that as an excuse as to why I couldn't get a good education. Remember, what you give is what you get! Some of my best teachers were Ms. Schulten, a new chemistry teacher whose name I have forgotten, Mrs. Catlett and Mr. Belotti to name a few. They had books, desks, teachers, a library, classes, etc... and I had curiosity. Simply put, if one desires a good education, then one needs to GO GET IT!!! Go Red Devils!!! Steven Moss- class of 1995

Agree with the school needing competent leadership. My son has been jumped twice now this school year and I was not called on either occasion. He has been caught skipping school by the police and I have checked his attendance record (which is awful) but I have not been contacted in over six months by the school about his attendance. The school must notify me if I am to enforce standards on the child. I've resorted to a FINS petition. This school should be shut down.

This school is in desperate need of competent instructional leadership. We have some good assistant principals, and they do what they can -- but until there is change at the top, improvement simply will not happen.

they don't keep you inform about grades and if your childs misses schools they don't let you know about. I wouldn't recomament this school to any one!!!!!!!

I graduated from Jacksonville High School in 2005 with honors. I enjoyed my time at this school and learned a lot from my AP teachers as, Mr. Thomasson and Ms. Shelton. Though, this school has lost a lot of it's great teachers it is not a bad school. We need to quit blaming former students and present students for behavior problems. You can find behavior problems anywhere. Pulaski County is to blame. This county does not care about Jacksonville High. There are still good, smart students that attend this school, and they deserve a new facility with more programs to offer. The city of Jacksonville needs to band together and fight the war for their own school district. Pulaski County is a horrible school district and doesn't deserve to keep receiving money from the taxpayers of Jacksonville.

I'm a junior at JHS, and I have to say that our school isn't half bad. When I take a look around me, 'gifted' schools like Mills are having gang riots and others are having shootings. Sure, we have our share of problems, with drugs and test scores, but a good education CAN be found if you actually TRY. I'm enrolled in all AP classes and I feel that I usually learn something in each of those classes. Everyone has that teacher that you just don't think that you can learn from, and of course I have my own, but I'm learning so much in my AP classes that I often overlook that fact. Jacksonville just needs more funding to be able to get to the next level! Our extracurricular activities are ESPECIALLY good for what we do have, however.

I graduated from JHS in 2003 as an honor graduate with a 4.0 and couldn't be more pleased with the education I received. I was very college ready and recently graduated with my Bachelors in Communication with an A average.

I have been a teacher at JHS for 15 years. I love being a teacher. I have seen some truely wonderful students pass through these walls and have had the privilege to work side by side with many gifted educators. The faculty work very hard to provide opportunity for each student to succeed if they choose to take up that challenge. I look forward to seeing many more students pass through my classroom and hopefully on to greater challenges in their future.

honestly i think the extra curricular activities offered by this school are good such as the sports teams, band, and theatrical arts groups. but the the teaching skills are poor (except for a select few teachers) the school's teachers dont do much to help students out who are behind nor do the counselors with advice.

Too much emphasis on sports, not enough on academics.

Last modified Jacksonville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.