North Pulaski High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 23, 2014

I am a former student of North Pulaski HS, thankfully, and I don't plan on returning, nor do I encourage anyone else to attend this school. The school has severe lack of class, to put it kindly. I'm a military brat, and I've seen ALL kinds of schools, this being one of the worst. This school is known by others as "Nasty Pulaski" and the extremely sarcastic "Classy Pulaski" they are both suiting nicknames. The school is nasty, and unclean, as well as the students. No school can improve when the students don't care about their future, or respect authority. What makes this problem worse is the lack of desire to change by the principals, and some staff members. Its a shame that the few good teachers at NP have basically given up on it, or been forced to transfer to half decent sister schools. If you have other options other than this school do what you can to save your education. The only thing that has kept this school from falling apart or being completely student ran is the military families that attend, and the few parents who have no other choice, but strive to make a difference. Basically, the school completely lacks discipline, and I severely underfunded, an awful combination.

Posted May 12, 2014

My school is, okay I guess. There's a lot of bulling that goes on and the teachers do nothing. Its pretty tragic. I wish that the students here cared more about their education. I think that it would make a difference in the school.

Posted May 30, 2013

Im not really fond of this school. I have to agree with the other ratings and comments before this one.

Posted June 15, 2011

I wish I never attended this school. It Is terrible, few good teachers. Half of the student do drugs and couldn't care less about their education. It's even worse having to have class with them and their constant disruptions of class. Standards are very low and to me, as a student extremely dissapointing. I feel like I have deserved MUCH more in terms of education. A Lot of the teachers are jokes and should be immediately fired because they are completely useless to anything in he field of education. I don't know what sort of parent these students have, but I can assure you that the majority of these student are future prison inmates. It's saddening and I'm glad that I'm leaving this school, changing states, and on my way to attending a WORTHY private school. Sincerely, a very disappointed former student of NP.

Posted October 1, 2010

The principal is not a fair person,and is dating the mom of one of his pupils and this i feel is wrong.

Posted August 30, 2010

Wonderful teaching staff. My daughter enjoys attending this school more than any other during her years in the PCSSD school system. The building is a disgrace because of the age and lack of proper attention from the PCSSD. Jacksonville wants it's own school district, and truly needs and deserves it. I have always been an active parent in my children's education and active at the schools they have attended. This school and it's students has been done a great disservice by the PCSSD school board. Regardless, they turn out well rounded young adults who have a chance at a college education if they desire it.

Posted March 24, 2010

Need to replace administration with ones who care. Most of the teachers I have experience with are good. A few lack communication skills. The band is excellent! The football program needs new coaching staff, ones who actually want to win. It's sad when a mom knows more of what is going wrong on the field than the coach, which is how I feel when I watch the game. All PCSSD schools need to be revamped, but out of the possible high schools my child can attend, this one is the best of the bunch.

Posted June 19, 2009

I love this school it totally rocks, Ive been here for 3 years and this year i will graduate from there! yay 2010

Posted May 22, 2009

N.P.H.S. is a Great School. The East Lab held a Prom for the students in (C.B.I.) and it was the BOOM! This event was started about 3-4 years ago by the East Lab teacher Mrs. Trish Whitaker. It gives the students with disabilities the opportunity to experience a Prom, where as they might not have the chance to do so. My foster daughter had the chance this year. It was Great, she has Downs Syndrome and she asked her date to the Prom. I cried as I watched the students interact whith the regular students on the dance floor. They showed no difference in the students. They were crowned as Kings, Queens Prince and Princess, where my daughter won the title as the Prom Princess. North Pulaski High school have issues, but what school does'nt? They have Great Leadership, teachers and Support Staff. Thanks to Chris Jones,the new East Lab Teacher.

Posted May 19, 2009

An older school which is in need of repair,a quality education is available for those who apply themselves,great band,underfunded athletic department,absolutely amazing wrestling team,top notch.

Posted July 25, 2007

This school has a wonderful band. The school could use some renevating though. But regardless I am honored to wear the Maroon Gold and White of the fighting Falcons.

Posted June 9, 2007

The staff and faculty are top notch. Students who want to learn can, since discipline is enforced. The band and drama programs are wonderful and produce the best in the state.

Posted March 27, 2007

I loved this school when I went there. It is the best High School in Pulaski County. The teachers are great and for the most part the students get along. You will not find a better school out here..
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 10, 2006

We are a military family that transfered in from Texas and this school was a shock to say the least. The curriculum is 2-3 years behind, the students have a four letter word vocabulary and require better supervision. Hallways are over-crowded and the school is in need of repair. Extra curricular activities are a plus but under funded.

Posted November 10, 2006

Recently retired military, my dau, Allison, in CBI class graduated May 06.Her Teacher, Mr Hugen, was amazing working w/her & all the other handicap teens.Great school, atmosphere, espirit de corps, and sports agendas.I recommend N Pulaski and Sylvan Hills High Schools to military students because of safety & learning benefits. I'm grateful to entire NPHS staff for making my daughter's HS an exciting learning experience!Elkins Rule!God Bless You & Your Family!

Posted October 29, 2006

I feel that North Pulaski has good intentions where academics are concerned. I think they are years behind on books, band instruments, athletic equipment, desks, etc.. I also feel very strongly about the lack of positive behavior from the boys athletic department. There has to be some changes if this school is ever going to come out of this slump. If something doesn't work, common sense says to do something else.

Posted November 9, 2005

NPHS is a quality educational instution, the academic circurilium is in line with most public and private schools in Arkansas. I feel that most students obtain their goals at NPHS and go on to further their education at excellent higher learning instutions.

Posted October 25, 2005

This is not a great school. Teachers do show favoritism. They also do not send out interim reports in a timely manner. The substitutes do not know the subjects they are trying to teach. The whole Pulaski Co. school district is messed up. They give kids a four day weekend prior to a Federal holiday, yet they have to go to school on the Federal holidays.

Posted August 20, 2005

This school is so far behind academically, the desks are older then I am, and their programs offered are sad!! This school is poor and completely outdated! I suggest knocking it down and starting all over.

Posted February 19, 2005

I don't think that the school it self is the best to send your children to. Some of the teachers don't treat all students fairly and they tend to favor black children over white children and football or basket ball players and cheerleaders over the other students.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 70% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 77% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 44% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the End of Course Exam to test high school students in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. The results for End of Course Exams administered in the spring of each school year are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The End of Course Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Source: Arkansas Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A61%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

718 Harris Rd