Pulaski Heights Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 881 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 6, 2014

I am So disappointed in how the teachers treat the children at this school. The yelling and a list of other intimidation tactics the teachers use are of no benefit to these kids. I'm not sure if the other teachers are over worked with this crazy 45 minute class period 8 times a day with 30 plus kids in each class or they just are in the wrong field. Don't get me wrong there are a handful of teachers that do an amazing job and have made such an impact on my child's life but, we are losing more and more of these great teachers to private schools every year. These teachers are struggling with the toxic environment at PHMS. Don't get me started on Common Core!!! The stress my child and many others at this school face daily is overwhelming. Our hope for a good public school education is fading fast. I have two more coming up to middle in the next couple of years but we are looking elsewhere. By the way, we had that same English teacher that someone wrote about below. She was like a soap opera daily but she actually treated the children with respect and concern unlike the other 6th grade English teacher is just spews venom.

Posted July 15, 2013

Please, avoid this school. teacher one year who told stories and literally didn't teach, and went to school crying because her boyfriend broke up with her. A couple of my teachersin year 7 lost lots of my work and caused me to fail, but said it was my fault, when many kids had the same problem. They treated me like an animal, and they did nothing about the bullying. I was threatened every day, and what did they do? Nothing. They just told the girl to be nice, and nothing changed. For improvments, I'd say hire better teachers, ones who actually want to teach and are responsible....

Posted December 13, 2012

I am a student that goes to this school. To me this is one of the best public schools in Arkansas. This is not a joke either. It is literally the one of the best schools in Arkansas. The Arkansas government has actually voted on that. We have the best ACCTAP scores in Arkansas. We have the best faultily and staff and the best security. I persuade every parent to send their student to this school.

Posted August 2, 2011

Great school! All teachers my children have had are awesome. We loved the school secretary. She knows everybody!! My kids complain there are bullies and a lot of problems among students but they have learned to deal with it. We moved so this year they will be in the NLR district so we will miss this school. 6th grade English teacher that is young was my kids favorite teacher and helped them through the transition from elementary to middle school. Keep it up!!

Posted May 27, 2011

I love love love PHMS!!!!!! I also love my english teacher, too! I also think that you do have to be with the right people. I have seen many things that gives you "street smarts" but doesnt necassarily scare you! I am in Pre-Algebra and most things are challenging. ACTAAP was soo easy with help from the staff! If you are considering publis schools, Pulaski Heights all the way! I also want to do sports there and the coaches(and all teachers) are amazing in here field! Also this school ISNT a joke!! I am a real, current student, so take it from me!! i love my PH Panthers!!!!

Posted February 3, 2011

This school is a joke. They treat your child like cattle. They allow gang activity and bullying to happen right in front of them. My child has only been with this school for 3/4 of the school year and they allowed for my child to be attacked and gang threatened by another student and acted as if it was no big deal. The Principal and Vice principals were extremely defensive and acted as if this situation was my child's fault. If you don't want your child bullied do not send them to this school.

Posted November 16, 2009

I love it! The academic scores, hands-on learning it's great.

Posted April 24, 2009

My daughter is currently in 6th grade this year and has had a wonderful experience at PHMS. I feel the PTA is excellent and the principal and teachers are very qualified. The choice of classes is varied to suit different student interests and needs. I have a second daughter entering PHMS in the fall and she is very excited to go to this great school. Public schools are a wonderful way to get a great education and have your child get to know a diverse group of wonderful people.

Posted January 19, 2007

I have been at Pulaski Heights since 6th grade and I have no other siblings that go there or went there. It is an amazing school some of the best teachers ever. The teach what they have too and more. Never had one bad experince with the teachers. I will always recommend Pulaski Heights.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 18, 2006

Pulaski Heights has a great PTA and has some of the best and most experienced teachers. The band is the best, and the art program is in depth and serious.

Posted January 17, 2006

This is our first year at phms, it is january, and i can successfully say phms is a great school, i believe it is a great (pre)-transition to high school. Every teacher we have this year in 6th grade is exceptional. The ap math teacher is more than we could have ever expected. We are very, very pleased with this middle school. In our opinion it is #1. Hats off to the principal and his fine staff of teachers.

Posted August 19, 2005

I graduated from this school back in 1997, and it has been a tremendous part of my life. I enjoyed every year that I was there. And if I could do it all over again, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Posted June 27, 2005

I completed 8th grade in 2002, Pulaski Heights Middle School at the time was a well worn building that had seen close to a century. However on a positive note for current students, the building received a full face lift the summer that I was moving to high school. There was a 7th grade math teacher that was completely unqualified to supervise children and an inept teacher; she was also fired to go along with the face lift. But I received a solid education including a fill technical background though the EAST program which has gotten me a very good job and a wonderful resume.

Posted April 26, 2005

I am a current 8th grade student at PHMS. This school is great. I am on the Firecracker team and I have not been happier in all 9 years of public school (K-8). The American History teacher is extremely knowledgeable on the subject. The science is fun and will help students over the internet if they need it. The Algebra teacher (WINGS team) stays in every day except Monday at lunch just to help students who need extra practice. This school is great and if you get the chance go to PH you won't regret it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 8, 2004

I have a great concern about the teacher's respect to the students. I had a conference with my child's teachers, and the teachers were very disrespectful to my child with me present. They act as if my child did not have legitimate concerns about the classroom atmosphere or the teacher's presentation of the lesson. The principal prefers to let things get worked out in the classroom. Of course, the teachers see no problem. This has been our worse year! We will survive and catch up later with the next school year.

Posted November 15, 2004

This is my daughters first year at pulaski heights middle and she loves it. The teachers are great. I was alittle worried with the transition between elemetary and middle school but no longer.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 73% in 2013.

252 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

252 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 77% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 77% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the End of Course Exam to test high school students in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. The results for End of Course Exams administered in the spring of each school year are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The End of Course Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Asian 3% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A60%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Music
  • Band

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

401 North Pine St