Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 18, 2015
Every teacher that has had either one, and in some cases both, of my children. You are absolutely AMAZING and have helped our children more than you could ever possibly know. For that alone we are, and forever will be, grateful. We want to thank you for taking time out of your lives outside of school to support our children. They often brag to their teammates that their teachers came to watch them and have made more than one teammate a bit jealous. Other parents have noticed and have commented on how awesome that it is that y'all have taken time out of your lives to come and support them in all of their endeavors. For that reason alone, at least two of our teammates now attend APCS as well. We have been blessed beyond what we ever imagined by having y'all be a part of our lives.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted September 18, 2015
Sometimes my opinion on homework varies. As a parent who works (and during certain times of the year has to work a crazy amount of hours) I can't say that I look forward to helping out and checking with homework for hours when I get home. However, with one of my kids it takes them longer than most other kids to do certain kinds of homework. My other child doesn't seem to have any problem with getting it all done quickly and correctly. So there are nights when I feel like pulling my hair out while other nights I wonder if I should give them extra homework just to make sure they've got it. This is why I would never be able to be a teacher and I'm so glad that APCS has amazing teachers who are kindhearted and love teaching.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 18, 2015
My daughter has had trouble with reading since she started in Kindergarten. She is incredibly smart and excels in most other areas but reading is harder for her. Her teachers have tutored her (free of charge) and have helped her and every year she improves. They know it's hard for her but they also know that she can do it. They don't let her give up on herself and they NEVER give up on her. The fact that she continues to improve every year shows her that with persistence it is possible to overcome your problems. It also has shown her that you NEVER give up on yourself because even though it may be harder for her than others, she is AMAZING and can learn to do it just as well if not better than other students. She is in 5th grade now and her teachers from every grade she's been in ask her how she's doing and give her a huge hug every time they see her. Most of them also tell her that if she ever needs anything that she is to come and find them and they'll help her however they can. This means the world to her as well as us.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted September 18, 2015
There have been instances of where a student has lost a parent unexpectedly or of when a teacher has lost a spouse unexpectedly. In both of those cases the teachers at the school have pulled together to help out in any way they can. They have babysat, helped with homework, given students rides home when asked and have helped to make sure that not only the grieving students but also the parents have whatever support they needed during these difficult times. We try to instill a sense of caring, kindness and responsibility to help our when we can in our kids. This has been reinforced at APCS. They take notice if they think someone could use any type of help. The kids have asked if they could take school supplies for other students who they didn't think had certain items or have asked if they can take an extra snack just in case another student forgot theirs. I would like to think that they get their sense of compassion from me but I'm not sure that at their age that I ever thought about these things as much as they do. At APCS the kids learn that if they respect and have compassion for others then they will be respected and shown compassion in return.

Posted September 18, 2015
The teachers are outstanding at APCS. They take an interest in our kids both inside and outside of school. Every year both of our kids teachers have taken time out of their weekends or weeknights to come watch our children perform in dance or sports. This means the world to our kids and to us as well. It shows the kids that the teachers don't only care about them academically but also as individuals. Our kids feel safe and know that their well being matters to their teachers. The school strongly encourages parental involvement in numerous areas of the school. They have a Watch Dog program specifically for Dads, Uncles & Grandpas. My kids love this because typically its stay at home Moms who have the opportunity to volunteer to help out at the school and therefore, they love it when a Dad or Grandpa is there to help out with the car line, to help monitor the lunch room, to help move things around or to simply walk with a class to the gym or the lunch room. My son specifically thinks its cool to have a Dad who takes an interest in the well being of the kids and wants them to succeed. Some of the teachers have husbands who are in various areas of law enforcement or are emergency personnel or are radio personalities and they also take time out of their lives to come and talk to the classes about their jobs and teach them "cool" things. Even at the elementary level APCS students get a wide range of information about numerous topics. Our children have grown academically as well as socially while attending APCS. They love their school and as a parent that means a lot to my husband and I. Our kids are the two most important things in our life and we don't entrust their safety and emotional well being with just anyone. The teachers and administrators at APCS are amazing with our children and we feel safe leaving our kids in their care. We love our school and we are thankful that we have it. We highly recommend it for any student.

Posted April 07, 2015
We started in Kindergarten there this year and I will admit to being a little intimidated. The school structure is very strict and we got a little "Stepford" feel from it at first. Our child's kindergarten class looked like what you would normally expect from the 2nd or 3rd grade. Our child had preschool but was not as advanced as the other students seemed to be. Many of these children are already reading and writing. He had a great deal of trouble settling in as he struggled with the feeling that everyone was so much more advanced which tended to translate into behavioral issues. His teacher, the Principal, Vice Principal and Counselor were all extremely dedicated to helping him catch up and find his place there and went above and beyond to help him settle. Now he is at a level with others in his class and behaving himself. He is very enthusiastic about the things he is learning and positive about school in general. I credit his extremely patient teacher and her support for this attitude. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted May 09, 2014
Wonderful elementary school. The teachers are great and caring. They have enrichment classes after school in many different areas of interest. The academics part is way above par. They expect the children to be a grade level and a half above where they are. Help is needed if they are falling behind. The high school is great and challenging with one exception being math. My son had four different math teachers last year alone. This year they tried to fix the problem with hiring a teacher that had college level teaching experience. She however does not know how to teach to the younger students and it has been a struggle from day one. If they can fix this one issue with math then I would give them an A+

Posted February 26, 2014
Excellent school. Great kids! The faculty is caring and professional. Lots of communication with parents.

Posted February 04, 2014
Awesome, caring, nurturing, holds students accountable! Supportive teachers, faculty and staff! Awesome school! Academics Plus is teaching more than just how to be a good student! Character education in important at AP as well as academics!

Posted February 02, 2014
We love Academics Plus! It is a safe, nurturing environment as well as academically challenging. The teachers are wonderful, and the elementary principal, Mrs. Gross, is excellent.

900 Edgewood Dr, Maumelle, AR  72113
Last modified Academics Plus Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.