Crystal Hill Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 6, 2014

Crystal Hill is a great school, and my daughter has gone there her 3rd and 4th grade year. She'll be attending 5th grade there as well. My daughter is in TAG (talented and gifted) and she enjoys her school. I like the diversity. They always have different things for the students and things parents can get involved in. She's had some great teachers and the pricipal is really nice as well.

Posted July 20, 2014

Crystal Hill Elementary is a wonderful school. My child has attended CH since Pre-K. She is entering 4th grade this year. The teachers have always encouraged my daughter to be the best she can be. Her math skills are phenomenal. I can not believe how great her mental math skills are, and how she processes her mathematical thinking. Her reading skills have blossomed over the last year. Her teachers have given her the tools she needs in order to be a successful reader. I look forward to 4th grade year and so does my daughter.

Posted February 24, 2014

a wonderful place for learning. The principal is extremely helpful, as well as the office staff. My experience has been a wonderful one at Crystal Hill!

Posted February 24, 2014

a safe place for my child. They have a new security system, which is very efficient and I feel better about the safety of my school. Thanks to the principal for her leadership in getting this accomplished.

Posted November 12, 2013

We are new to the area and expected basic public school operations in the very least. We have been disappointed. It's unnerving to trust your children to such inadequate care. Security is lacking. The principle allowed a man to come into the school and pick up both of my children WITHOUT attempting to contact me!!! An enormous issue in my book. I have walked into the school (this is a new school for us so the staff do not know me), got a volunteer sticker from the front office and walk down the hallway to the lunchroom without the office staff even speaking to me. Not a single "hello, who are you or why are you here?" They make the room mom purchase a present for both a teacher and a counselor for EVERY class holiday in addition to the party. The PTO is disorganized. The recent fundraiser arrived weeks later than estimated and the boxes were sent home without a copy of the order slip. The pink slips kept by the parents are eligible so the parent is left not knowing who to order belongs to. However, the teachers do seem genuinely interested in student success. For that reason, I rate the school with 2 stars.

Posted November 11, 2013

Parent teacher conference has yet to be rescheduled due to teacher NOT EVER answering emails. Multiple emails sent within 3 weeks. Teacher is absent several days of the month. Never know when school is in or out...teacher NEVER sends letters or notes...getting ready for school and staying outside for nothing is not my or my kindergarteners cup of tea. Emails and letters never answered , no communication unless I run in to the teacher.... NICE teachers...just irresponsible to the MAX. Long grey haired office lady- definitely pompous but does her job. Short hair blonde office lady very helpful as well. Librarian and library activities AWESOME!

Posted October 30, 2013

We Love this school- organized, great learning environment. Children are thriving. Love the communications room

Posted October 2, 2013

Not really impressed with where the school is academically in the "Common Core" work. We transferred from a north arkansas school district down to this one. After research of the local schools I felt like CHEMS would be the best fit for my child...and boy was I wrong!! I love the staff there...the teachers are nice...but the school curriculum itself is far behind!! It is the ending of the first nine weeks and in kindergarten they are still on letter recognition and learning how to write their name and letters!! Were we transferred from they were way more advanced on the "Common Core" than that. ( I thought your child is supposed to know those things already upon entering into kindergarten) I am a parent that actively volunteers at my child's school and is also very active in my child's learning experience!! So I will definitely be looking to transfer to another public school in the district were they are learning more/doing more...or even possibly a charter or private school cause this school is NOT meeting my expectations AT ALL!!

Posted September 11, 2013

The school itself is relatively new and the staff are generally good. My only issue with this school is that 5/6 years my son has had a new teacher during the school year. So if your child doesn't take to change very well, be cautious

Posted August 21, 2013

This is my 8th year at Crystal Hill! All 3 of my girls have loved their school! CHEMS teachers and staff are like "family" to us! They look out for my girls and provide a safe and warm environment! My girls have learned so much at this school! Chems provides an excellent education and adds a lot of fun to the school day! Our Communications program is wonderful! There are several computers in every classroom. Reflex Math computer program is an amazing program to help students learn their basic math facts and students have daily access to this program at school and at home. Older students are taught archery in PE, live broadcasting every morning run by the older students is really cool too! I could go on and on about the great opportunities CHEMS offers our students!

Posted August 21, 2013

Crystal Hill is a wonderful school. I have one a just sent to middle school who was more than prepared to enter thanks to the efforts of the teachers and staff of the school. I also have a 2nd grader this year and I am happy to see we are on the same track of success with this child as well. Please consider when you read the comments about this school that a drop off and pick up line the first week of school should not reflect on the ability of this school to educate and care for your child. Also if you speak to the police and security involved in helping make drop off and pick up go smoothly they will explain that the first week of school is an extremely hectic time and it has been handled great at Crystal Hill. You will get a wonderful education for your child and a caring environment if you choose to send your child here.

Posted August 21, 2013

We especially love the specialty teachers.. Mr Kaplan (art), Mrs Walker (speech), Mrs Holman, Mrs Woody and Ms Rhodes (library), Mrs. Peach. They all go the extra mile by giving after hours time to make CHEMS a great school.

Posted August 21, 2013

I love our school. Our admin and teachers really care about our children. The first week of school can be challenging as new families get familiar with the school and our procedures. Our drop off and pick up is the best compared to other schools. The volume will come down as everyone learn the rules & children want to ride the bus...bus rides are available to every student at Crystal Hill. Our leaders work very hard to ensure the safety, best learning environment and education for our children. Who wouldn't want that in a school? I know I do. Which is why I love and support Crystal Hill Elementary Magnet School!

Posted August 21, 2013

I have 3 children that have attended Crystal Hill Elementary. We have been there for 6 years. I love the school, administration and faculty! We feel that our kids have received a wonderful education and have the test scores to prove it! The first week of school is hectic anywhere you go! Especially if you are the largest school in the district! Our car pool line is very efficient and effective! The first week of school is crazy because EVERYONE wants to drop off and pick up their child! Also you have new parents and kids that haven't figured out the routine yet. It gets MUCH easier after the first week or 2. If you don't like the car pool line then ride the bus! That is why they provide the service. My child rides the bus and is already home, done homework, and had a snack while some people are still in carpool lane! Your child will be cared for and receive a wonderful education at Crystal Hill. Isn't that whats important! It's not the largest school in the district for no reason!!!

Posted August 21, 2013

I am a father of 3 at Crystal Hill. I would like thank the entire staff for their hard work and preparation for this first week of school, which is always tough on everyone. The staff has done an EXCELLENT job making it as smooth as possible especially when having to deal with a few parents that have very little patience like the one that posted on Aug 20th (I was wondering if this parent mistakenly posted their comment about the wrong school.). I have a 4 yr. old in the pre k program that is having a tough time adjusting to a new big school. I called yesterday to get an update on her and the staff was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to check on my daughter during this very busy week. I was also very impressed with the organization of the drop off line, efficiency of SAFELY getting all the kids into the school. This can be a very difficult task during the first week of school with the new parents figuring out the well planned system. I am looking forward to another great year at CHEMS. This school has some very good people that are involved and that care about each and every student. As a parent that is all I can ask for! Keep up the good work!

Posted August 20, 2013

School seems ok, however the drop of and pick up is the WORST I've ever seen. Be prepared to wait an hour or more if your child is a car rider. Be prepared to be late everywhere you go because of the lack of organization. Be prepared for random change of policy at a despite reach to figure out what is going on. I will be pulling my child from this cluster as soon as possible. Ridiculous

Posted January 3, 2013

They teach that we live in a Democracy and stick to it even when corrected. Even though they do the Pledge of Allegiance every morning which clearly states, "and to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands".

Posted January 25, 2012

Test scores and busy work are what seem to be important at Crystal Hill. If there is somewhere else to send your child I would.

Posted September 16, 2009

The teachers and speech therapists are great!

Posted December 23, 2008

I have a first grade child attending CHEMS. I am a teacher myself, and am mindful of everything I see in my child's classroom. As my child entered 1st grade I was/am absolutely AMAZED at the amount of worksheets the children are expected to complete. I remember the 'old' way of teaching when 6-7 worksheets a day were the norm. Things have changed. No, things have 'evolved' since then. No longer do theorists believe students need 'busy work' to achieve in literacy or math. It's a different world and Crystal Hill is lacking in meeting that evolution. I hope they will broaden their mindset and begin to see instruction as life-long learning. NOT test scores and worksheets! My friends have taken students out of CHEMS, but I plan on sticking around in hope of being an advocate for children. I am not known to be quiet when it comes to education.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 79% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 85% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A61%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5001 North Shore Dr