Sylvan Hills Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 403 students

Posted April 24, 2014

This is the best school my children ever been to they love this school in so do I they do all kinds of activities, they make good grades, there learning more in more as they go to Sylvian hills and I'm proud of the staff there they are on there job good job Sylvian hills school.

Posted August 24, 2013

I have 2 children at SHE. We have been very happy with the Teachers! Mr. Young has been a wonderful Principal and has made many improvements. The lunch service is nothing to brag about, I suggest sending a lunch from home. The curriculum follows along with all Pulaski Co. Public schools, but they also offer a Alpha program. We are happy to have that!!!!They do not offer much "Extra" outside of choir. I hope to see more groups created in the near future. Parent involvement is on the lower side.

Posted August 23, 2013

The principle at SHE is one of the best! he treats each child like they are his own. The teachers are very good with keeping good contact with the parents. I do wish the curriculum was at a higher standard. I don't feel my kids are challanged as much as they could be. I have 3 kids at SHE and they love it there.

Posted January 20, 2012

Sylvan Hills Elementary is a wonderful school! Both of my kids have gone there since kindergarten and we have been very pleased with the education they have been receiving. The teachers are caring and very knowledgeable. The school is very old, however, and needs many updates and improvements.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 18, 2012

Mr. Young is a wonderful administrator; he makes each child feel special. He stands at the door in the afternoons wishing each child a good evening and asking if the child has had a good day. We love Mrs. Bailey; she makes her first graders feel special. She keeps the parents informed of the week's studies and happenings in her weekly newsletter. She consistently adds the week's spelling words to Spelling City; this makes learning the spelling words fun. She makes learning fun.

Posted June 12, 2011

My kindergartener just finished her first year at SHE. I can not begin to express in words how much we love this school. From my child's wonderful teacher, Mrs. Saunders to even the staff in the cafeteria. Mr. Young is also a great administrator. Readily available to speak to parents, and actively involved in the students' activities! Job well done! Looking forward to both of my children attending Sylvan Hills all the way through to Senior High Graduation!

Posted February 1, 2011

SHE is awesome. Principal Jason Young is doing great things. He has made improvements, new technology for the classrooms, new bathrooms and a new gymnasium is on the way. His door is always open to hear suggestions or discuss any issues that may happen. There is a lot of Bear Pride at SHE!! We moved to SHE last year because we heard Mr. Young was there. Keep up the good work SHE.

Posted January 28, 2011

Exciting things are happening at SHE! Since the school has been under new administration, many improvements have been made! The atmosphere in the school has improved dramatically! Mr. Young, principal, is always very visible in the hallways and always willing to go the extra mile for his teachers and parents in any way. Each classroom is equipped with new technology and all of the teachers are utilizing it on a daily basis. Although, the school is dated, many improvements have been made- new bathrooms were built this past summer, fresh coat of paint has been added to the front entry way of the school. Also, Mr. Young worked very hard on a grant for a new gym to be built at the school! The school has 2 excellent self contained special education classes for K-1 children( one that is implementing the STAR program- for autistic children.) They also offer a jogging club for the students and many students compete in the Odyssey of the Mind competition. As you enter this school, you can tell that the administration, teachers and students are excited about what is happening at SHE and are very proud to show their Sylvan Hills Bear Pride!

Posted September 11, 2009

I have a child that attends SHE in grade 4 this year. I thinks that academically this school needs assistance. The schools needs to make sure that parents and teachers are working together instead of leaving the parents out of the loop. For instance, the students rarely have homework which I do not like. Homework allows me to assist my child with lessons being taught at school and shows me my child's strength and weakness. IBy not having homework, the school is missing a great opportunity. Worst of all about SHE, the facility is very, very old. It's sad the district has let this school run down like this!!!

Posted March 5, 2009

Principal is very lacking at this school. Great teachers. I feel that there is no support from adminstration when it comes to disipline. Facility is very run down. Only after complaints from parents and staff were bathrooms more suitable. Very sad!!

Posted January 6, 2009

I have 3 children that attend SHE and they love it! They came from a smaller school district and moving them to SHE is one of the best moves we ever made for them. The teachers are excellent (expecially Ms. Pitre in K class) they really seem to care about the students and their well-being. My children are really learning at SHE and I think we will be here for a while. The principal on the other hand does not seem very friendly.

Posted January 13, 2008

I have 2 children attending SHE. My youngest is in Mrs Pitre's K class, she is a great teacher and my child is learning so much. My oldest is in the 4th grade and isnt so lucky. His 2nd (Mrs Payne) and 3rd (Mrs Sossoman) were great teachers. But this year has been quite the struggle for him. It seems to me that teachers dont have enough time to spent with the children because there are other kids in the class that act out and take all of there time away from the kids who want to learn. Maybe we will have better luck in the 5th grade. We moved to Sherwood because we heard the schools were better than the one we went to in Jville.wasnt a smart move. The school is out dated.need to be cleaned up and painted. Use some of our 8% taxes that we pay.

Posted January 6, 2008

This is the worst school in the Pulaski County School District. I pulled my grandchild because of the lack of concern from the Principal over her teachers.

Posted August 13, 2007

This is by far one of the best schools yet! I have had one child go there from Kindergarten through 5th grade and she loved it... they teachers were great... I still have one child there now and he also loves it there... both of my good were on the honor roll ..Keep up the good work SHE!

Posted January 25, 2007

Mrs. McPeak is wonderful! My daughter is learning great things in her class. My concern is the behavior of alot of the children there. My daughter has been intimidated by several of the students there. I'm wondering if it's the schools fault or the lack of parenting these children are recieving at home. I just want my daughter to be in a safe learning environment and I haven't been totally convinced that this is the school for her.

Posted May 23, 2006

I was impressed with the first and second grade teachers but the kindergarten and third grade teachers left some to be desired. I am an involved parent and felt at odds with them concerning my child's academic achievement and well-being.

Posted April 4, 2005

Two of my children have attended SHE, and I have enjoyed the enviornment and level of attention my child has received. I believe she will be well equipped for what lies ahead in middle school a couple of years from now. I don't regret having them in this school.

Posted October 20, 2004

You couldn't ask for better teachers than Mrs. Robelot, Mrs. Henderson, Mrs. Ross and Mr. Strong. There have been a couple of teachers that I wish my child did not have in the past. We now have a new staff in the office and principals. We'll see how this change works; but we dearly miss Mrs. Whiddon and Mrs. Conley!

Posted May 16, 2004

The faculty and staff are professional and nurturing.

Posted April 26, 2004

Not satisfied with the level of attention and support my child received, who happens to be African-American.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 79% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Arkansas used the Benchmark Exam to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in literacy and grades 3 through 8 in math. The Benchmark Exam is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Arkansas. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 85% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Literacy

The state average for Literacy was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 69%N/A61%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

402 Dee Jay Hudson Dr