Sherwood, AR

Sylvan Hills Middle School 2

Posted July 02, 2014
I graduated as an eighth grader for the 2013-2014 year at SHMS, and I'll tell you my exact thought of this school and it's people. This may seem cliche, because I'm "just a kid and don't value what has been given to me" and I'll "hate school no matter where I'm going"; but you see, that's not the case. I hated this school. Hate. Four big fat letters that deserve to be capitalized, but I won't be immature about this subject. This is a horrible school and I suggest that if you want your children to love you, don't send them here. I don't blame my parents, but, in a way I do. I wanted to go to Northwood, but SHMS was "closer to home". This school basically resembles a jail in it's closet 99.9% form. The rules are completely unreasonable (most of them, that is) and almost 50% of the staff especially the principal are incredibly mean. Me, being one of the better kids, I would know why they had to be. But, being one of the good kids, I would know that from personal experience, it never fails with this school, the good kids always get mushed in with the bad kids. In short, please don't send your kids here. Nice school, horrible people.

Sylvan Hills Middle School 4

Posted August 11, 2012
My son attends SHMS and the new school looks GREAT! As far as academics I will give them an A+. He has special bonds with his teachers and feel safe in his surroundings. His test scores are advance and he loves learning there. Kids will be kids and everyone has responsibility to do their part. Inorder to teach our children to become strong and productive citizens. No one person can do it alone. Thank you SHMS, you all are doing a great job, keep up the good work

Sylvan Hills Middle School 5

Posted October 14, 2011
Come see what we are doing at SHMS!!! New adminstration came into place as school started August 19, 2009. Please know that lots of things have changed in the last couple of years! We are not perfect but we welcome parents and the community in our school at any time. Come see what and how kids are learning, teachers who are happy and working hard and an administrative team committed to excellence. Failure is not an option at SHMS! The admin team and our teachers run Z.A.P (zeros are prohibited) and Lunch Bunch (student struggling with D's or F's in core subjects) as well as celebrating "Bear Pride - Blue Friday" allowing everyone eligible to be in school blue spirit shirts and blue jeans (for students who have not been to ZAP, d- hall, or to the office for disciplinary reasons)! We have excellent sports and fine arts programs. Our core and elective teachers do a terrific job of preparing students through terrific instructional practices! Our students are actively engaged in reading daily on their own level with book goals for each nine weeks and incentive rewards in place for those who meet or exceed those goals. So much more to tell- come in and hear more about SHMS!

Sylvan Hills Middle School 5

Posted November 03, 2010
I was very reluctant to send my daughter to Sylvan Hills Middle School because of all the bad reviews, but I decided to give it a try. I have been more than impressed with the staff, teachers, and school. The vice-principal is out of this world awesome and is very involved with the kids. My daughter is thriving in her work and I make sure to stay on top of things through Edline. As of right now, I would recommend this school...as I would also recommend parents to be very involved also.

Posted August 08, 2009
the teacher do not give alot of hope on the kids

Posted June 03, 2009
I have enjoyed my daughters going to Sylvan Hills Middle School. I haven't had any problems with teacher returning my calls. I have even had teachers call me to tell me they enjoy having my kids in their class. I think this is a great school. My daughters have enjoyed their school year. They have even asked if we move if they can go back to Sylvan Hills. Maybe some people have had problems, but it not the teachers to raise the kids. Some partent may have problems due to the way the kids act . Parent that are having problem my think about going to parent conferences . This way they can express their issues. Thanks to all the staff for a great school year.

Posted May 21, 2009
Sylvan Hills Middle School does not promote parent/teacher/staff relationships. I am a parent and have had problems getting the principal and teachers to call me back whenever there is an issue that needs to be resolved. The teachers seem to be waiting for retirement instead of teaching their students. Very disappointed and wish my child could be transfered to another school.

Posted May 21, 2009
My child has been going to Sylvan Hills Middle School for two years now and it has been a challenge. I thought I was the only parent not getting my phone calls returned, but after reading these other posts, I now know that I am not. It took two months to get a situation resolved with a teacher and my child. Very unacceptable. I do not see that parent involvement is a problem with the school - it is hard to for Edline to keep a parent informed on their child's progress when you cannot get a teacher to help you understand what is going on in the class. There are a few teachers that are interested in our childrens' education and I thank them for that. Very unsatisfied and the school has had low test scores for years. Looking for a way to transfer schools. :-(

Posted October 22, 2008
I think Sylvan Hill is a great school to me! I feel that i learned alot and that it's not a school of alot of learning though' I feel it's a fashion show! Also, I feel that the behavior is well taking care of! Last, I hope this years better I'll be back!

Posted July 24, 2008
I had a child in this school in 2006-2007 and we have moved to Cabot. The child's grades have went up and the behavior problems that were at SHMS, we don't see at this school. I hated the way things were run and there was very little teacher contact... I felt like they did not have control on the students behavior and some of the teaches didn't take enough effort to keep their kids under control during class.. So it cause the kids not to learn as much.. This school needs to have alot of attention on discipline and learning.. It has a long way to go.... I would not suggest this school to anyone...

401 Dee Jay Hudson Dr, Sherwood, AR  72120
Last modified Sylvan Hills Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sylvan Hills Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top