Bad
Good

We love Sumac. Wanted to thank the teachers for their endless patience, sense of humor, calmness, coolness, and most of of all for their professionalism. Wanted to thank the administration for their openness, willingness to listen and resolve problems, for all the extras Sumac has, and for keeping our school in pristine condition. Thank you everyone, who keeps the school website and class webpages updated. I'm a working parent, having all the current information posted on the Internet means a lot to me! Wanted to thank the district for implementing L-STEAM program at our school, for taking care of every child in the district from kids with special needs to gifted ones through the various programs available, and for all the community involvement. When I see my child reading thick books, that I wouldn't even touch at her age; or when I see how easily she is able to explain the meaning of each chart and table in our utility bills; or when I see how attentively she listens to others, and how well thought her own arguments and ideas are, I'm not only feeling incredibly proud of my little one, I know that she is attending a school that is teaching for life, not for a test score.

I like this school. The dual language program is excellent. However, the teacher absenteeism is very high. Pretty much all the teachers are out of the classroom for several days out of the year for teacher training, conferences, and meetings. Those who fall ill or take off for personal reasons are gone for much more than that. I have two kids at this school and every year, at least one of them has a teacher gone for more than four weeks, sometimes longer. It is frustrating, however, when the regular teachers are in the classroom the instruction is very good.

Our son started Kindergarten last September and he loves it. The L-STEM program is great. My son is in the dual language program and is learning Spanish. Aside from the dual language program (which is optional) he has music, computer, science and art class and visits the library once a week. I am impressed with the breadth of the program and have enjoyed meeting and interacting with the parents at the school. It is a very nurturing community.

SUMAC Elementary is Awesome! What I liked most of all when we were visiting and deciding which school for our kindergartner was the parental involvement. I plan to do a lot of it and I'm not the only one. Our little one is learning a lot (she's in the dual language curriculum) and loves every minute of it. The first week she wanted me to stay for a little after dropping her off, now it's, "you can eave now daddy". Some of the parents in her class get together outside of school and do activities like hikes. I think we picked a great school for our little one.

Sumac L-STEM is a gem in the Conejo Valley! The Dual Language Spanish Immersion program has been wonderful for my family. The PFA is outstanding and sponsors events throughout the year that support both the school and families. The Art/Science program is an amazing specialist program that uses hands on activities to teach students scientific concepts and then ties them into a related art activity. STEM is the future of education and these teachers have embraced it.

My daughter graduated from Sumac three years ago and my son is currently there. My daughter has a learning disability, was struggling in school and it was extremely difficult for her (and mom and dad). Sumac and the staff were amazing with diagnosing her disability and helping her. My son is in the second grade and just scored advanced on his state testing. He was fortunate to be in the Journey's program and received such a great start with an amazing teacher. I highly recommend this wonderful school! If your child can attend this school you are very fortunate. Also, Miss Amy's Cool Club (after school enrichment program) makes a full -time working mom feel no guilt. In fact, if I arrive early to pick him up he wants me to leave so he can stay longer. I

I have transferred my child into Sumac just this year and am elated over her improved performance both academically and emotionally. She is allowed to progress at her own pace and not held back when she needs an extra challenge. Her teachers are outstanding and patient and are as concerned with her social development as with academics. This is truly a whole-child approach to teaching and it makes all the difference in the world. The principal, Carol Martino, is a phenomenal educator as well who is genuinely interested in the success of each child and is always accessible to parents and students. She is a wealth of ideas and has the knowledge and experience to put them into action. The office staff is amazing as well and makes it a point to quickly get to know everyone well. Safety was also a prime concern as my child has severe food allergies. This school has proven to me that she is 100% safe and everyone looks out for the students at all times. The campus is clean, safe and beautiful with a warm atmosphere. I feel lucky to have found this gem of a school and look forward to seeing what new magic these educators dreams up next!

My son transferred to this school in 3rd grade and has been there for a couple years. At first he needed a lot of support to get him on track, now thanks to their collective efforts he's doing really well. You want an amazing principal who knows every child (very well I might add), supportive administrative staff, and excellent teachers...put them here! They truly care and really educate your child and not just teach them to memorize. Not to mention the wonderful families that attend. My son is very happy and very cared for, and I'm will always be grateful.

My daughter attended 2nd grade this year at Sumac and I couldn't be happier. She has thrived. The teachers and principal seem to really care about the kids progress. They take the time to get to know the kids each individually and seem to adjust approach depending on needs. I have been very impressed and look forward to 3 more years at this school.

I appreciate how all students are valued and are able to learn in a nurturing, yet supportive environment. The curriculum keeps students engaged and challenged, but not to the point of frustration.

Last modified Sumac Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.