Wasuma Elementary School 1

Posted March 18, 2014
Unfortunately, the cliche "Hind sight is 20-20" is appropriate here. Our family relocated from out of state at the beginning of 2012-2013 school year. I researched all of the local elementary schools and felt based on my 2 sons needs and meeting staff that Wasuma would be a great school. I still feel it is better than the alternative local public schools but that does not mean much. Educationally the curriculum is 2 years behind the out of state public school my boys attended. Socially, well it has bullying without consequences. Respect of teachers and administrator s toward students is non-existent. The principal lacks leadership skills. Of the five teachers my kids have been assigned only two were kind, invested and good at educating. I have come to the conclusion that the California public school system failed my kids. I will be pulling them at the end of this school year. We should have stayed in our home state.

Posted May 14, 2012
It is with great sadness that I have to rate this school so poorly. Initially, Wasuma seems to be a good school, but then as you become familiar with the inner workings, you see that it is unraveling at it's seams. Some of the teachers are actually very good, but the majority are impatient, ill - equipped to teach higher than 2nd grade, uninspired and seem to be (in general) drained of all inspirational traits you would hope to see in teachers. In their defense, budget cuts have robbed the school of competent aids and most teachers rely heavily on parent support in the classroom. There is a strong PTA presence which is great. If you want to be involved (and I recommend it!) there are loads of opportunities for volunteers. Overall, this is school is in need of stronger leadership and programs to address the educational needs of it's students. I feel that the only time there is true concern is when the State Testing begins and panic sets in. That, in addition to a tremendous lack of support, communication and programs, Wasuma gets a low grade from me.

Posted March 08, 2012
There are some teachers here with a strong work ethic, and great heart. Some of the staff are disrespectful and confrontational. There are good efforts to connect with the community, and a strong parent involvement base. Overall however, I am disappointed in the lack of academic goals within the school. There are no standardized measures of assessment within the school (aside from the required CST). There is a lack of focus on the state standards. When compared to 100 other schools in the state, with similar demographics, Wasuma ranks 4 out of 10. They rank 6 our of 10 within the state. Schools with similar demographics rank 8 and 9.

Posted September 17, 2009

Posted September 15, 2009
An excellent school!! Fantastic educators that are heartfelt and working for each child indepentantly to meet their educational needs.

Posted August 17, 2008
This is the best of the area! This elementary school is well on its way up with the new renovations and technological updates that were sorely needed. The teachers are terrific, and the principal is a terrific educator and communicator. My child has attended for three years, my son is beginning his second.

Posted December 02, 2004
Im not too happy with Wasuma right now. So far Ive found the faculty & administration to be menacing and rude.

Posted February 08, 2004
Had two children go through Wasuma. Both are college graduates (Math and Govt. major) and both can trace their love of learning to this small rural school with dedicated teachers and an exceptional principal in Glen Rice.

Wasuma Elementary School
43109 Highway 49, Ahwahnee, CA  93601
Last modified Wasuma Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wasuma Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top