School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Our experience with ACLC has been very positive over the six years my child has attended the school. She has developed time and task management skills with her studies, as well as becoming involved in planning and implementing school events. This school helps prepare kids for life by encouraging them to take responsibility and teaching them valuable life skills, not just academics.
October 20, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 26, 2016
There are two stand out folks at ACLC for me. Lynne Boone and Daniel Cabrales.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted March 26, 2016
The accountability in the school is severely lacking. My first complaint with this is the supposed "free period." As a project based school, I can see why such a time period sounds great, and maybe it is for high school students. However, my middle school students goof off, play on the internet, interrupt ongoing classes. Because there are rarely hard deadlines the kids don't take the assigned deadlines seriously. And then the issue with teachers sometimes misplacing turned in work gives the students the perception that their grades are more luck anyways.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted March 26, 2016
One of my kids had a ongoing issue with a classmate. The school did a lot to handle it well. They encouraged the kids to talk with one another and respect other points of view; they provided them with mentors from the senior class to help mediate the issue. However, I think they also let it go on too long too far. At some point the kids had demonstrated to me that they weren't capable yet of the behavior being asked of them (6th grade), but the school kept trying these approaches. Worse, I was not informed of the degree to which the school had tried to solve the problem until it reached a fever pitch. I was disappointed that approach tried to remove the parents.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted March 26, 2016
They do have a well developed judicial system which I like in theory. In my experience, that system is too mature for the middle school kids. My kids in middle school don't the cognitive ability to really make some of the choices they are empowered to make. There was an incident of cheating that I thought was well handled. However, the schools policy to accept late work practically months late I think weakens the integrity of the students. Nothing is ever really due, and they aren't held as accountable as they are capable of being.

Alameda Community Learning Center 2

Posted March 26, 2016
I was excited when we first started at ACLC, but the experience is going down hill. I have trouble getting staff and administration to return my calls and emails when I have questions. My daughter has reported teachers not showing up to class, no substitute called in, and the class given a "free period." My questions to the office about this go unanswered. When I came to check my kids in after a Dr. appointment I was told my the staff on duty that he didn't know the procedure to check them in. I got calls later saying they were unexcused. The teachers are reporting assignments not turned in by my students, and my kids report that the teachers lost them. Of course I not inclined to believe this, and then a few other parents confirmed to me that they were sure some teachers were losing assignments. Doing my own in depth test, I did find that 1 out of the 4 "missing" assignments was lost. Things there just seem out of control. I attended a board meeting last year where they spoke about the schools enrollment hopes for 2016, and I think they have just grown faster than they have staffed for. My kids want to leave the school, but they are attached to their friends. We are shopping around.

Develops honesty: no rating

Posted October 20, 2015
- a school leader
This school encourages kids to take responsibility for their behavior and uses a unique peer monitoring technique called the JC (Judicial Committee) system. Kids write up other kids if they observe them violating school rules. This "case" is then heard by the JC, a group of kids elected by their peers to sort out rule violations and disputes and also impose a reparative "sentence" or consequence to the original action. It is a very effective approach!

Posted October 20, 2015
- a school leader

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 19, 2015
The school administrator seems to have inherited a complicated situation, and took over also at a time of great change (school site moves, union development, big increase in competing charter schools, strong parent reactions). He has faced these challenges well. i am also especially grateful to the math department. I have one child who exclls at math, and one who needs a great deal of support. Both are having their needs met by their talented, inspiring math facilitator Aaron.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted October 19, 2015
It really depends. I have been very impressed with the high school teachers. Last year, there was an ineffective teacher whose contract was not renewed. I'm very glad the school has the flexibility to quickly remove underperforming teachers. This year, the school is currently understaffed due to a series of unfortunate, unlucky events. I feel badly for the staff, who are working so hard to cover the empty spots. It has been a stressful time for everyone. There is a teacher shortage in CA, and effective teachers at innovative charter schools need to be especially talented and dedicated to create an extraordinary experience, usually without all the resources of a traditional school.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 19, 2015
I'm very impressed with how my kids (middle and high school) have taken ownership of their learning. It really takes the pressure off me to be a nagging parent. They set up their goals, learn what it takes to achieve them, and then get to work. They feel the intrinsic rewards of a job well done.

1900 Third Street, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Alameda Community Learning Center is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.