Posted April 11, 2014
My son has been at ACLC for the past year and I have been incredibly pleased with his academic and social development. ACLC is a school with strong academic standards that also provides a welcoming and collaborative environment for all students. Although this may sound basic, I can tell you that this is a rare combination for a school. I appreciate the school's democratic philosophy and its established principles whereby everyone s voice matters. And I have found the facilitators to be an impressive and caring group of individuals who are teaching our kids to be the critical thinkers of tomorrow by providing students with meaningful and rewarding assignments, not just keep busy work.

Posted April 08, 2014
A great school where our children are happy to go every day to learn to lead their life with the help of a vibrant community of involved parents.

Alameda Community Learning Center 4

Posted April 08, 2014
ACLC has a rich history of graduating smart, capable young people. The project based curriculum means less didactic learning and more hands on experiences. Learners are encouraged to take the reins of their education and their community by participating in leadership and decision making. ACLC creates an environment in which diversity is encouraged. Learners from 6-12 work together as a community. Our first day at ACLC for 6th grade we struggled with the locks on the locker assigned to my son. Learners came over of their own volition to assist. I came that day feeling proud that my son was part of such a warm and caring environment.

Posted April 07, 2014
My son is a freshman at ACLC, his first year attending this school. Our family has been very happy with ACLC. Our son loves the project-based learning, over-all small school size and the enthusiasm students and staff have for their school.

Posted April 07, 2014
The Alameda Community Learning Center is a great school because there are genuine opportunities for learners to take on leadership responsibilities. The learners are on the Governing Boards, they lead the Judicial Committee, they run the school leadership, they are Educational Leaders in the classrooms as well.

Posted April 07, 2014
This is our first year at ACLC. We wanted to find a school for our 6th grader that combined a culture that expected success for each student and provided students with the opportunity to guide their learning experience. ACLC provides a safe learning environment in which academic achievement is celebrated by both students and teachers. She loves it!

Posted April 07, 2014
My son is a 7th grader and this is his second year at ACLC. He enjoys his classes, appreciates his Facilitators and very much likes his free periods during the week where he does homework so he has less to do at home. As a parent, I really like the project based learning style and the democratic society that is in place at ACLC. This school is an absolute asset to Alameda.

Posted January 19, 2014
This is my child's second year at ACLC and, for the first time since he was in second grade, he was looking forward to going back to school at the end of the summer!! The project-based learning, the fact that learners (students) have a say in their school, and they must take responsibility for a lot of their learning have been great incentives for my son. He was tired of so much rote learning in elementary school and not being able to learn at his own pace (faster in Math and Science, average in English/Social Studies). They recently had their Science Day and I was so impressed! Most of the projects were really well developed and during the school day they rotated among a variety of science related activities. Pretty much all the Facilitators are fabulous, experienced and really enjoy teaching. The leadership is also exemplary, always going the extra mile! This is a special place I highly recommend it.

Alameda Community Learning Center 1

Posted December 02, 2013
I left ACLC three years ago along with over 1/2 of my class (the top half of the class). I have been talking to good friends of mine and I am afraid the school has only been getting worse (which I thought was impossible). This school has mastered the use of propaganda. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!! They talk about "student-empowerment" in running the school. Frankly I had less say then any student of any other public or private school. Furthermore they emphasis the importance of "project learning." What "project learning" is really busy work with no value to it what so ever. The curriculum is useless and focuses ONLY on California state testing. SAT, ACT, and general education they just don't care about. All they care about is their outward appearance. I lost years of my life going to this "school" I plead with you not to make the same mistake.

Alameda Community Learning Center 4

Posted September 19, 2013
My daughter is having a great experience for 3 years now! Their project based curriculum works well for students interested in science and engineering! Creativity at its best!

Alameda Community Learning Center
1900 Third Street, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Alameda Community Learning Center is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alameda Community Learning Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 70 reviews. Top