Alameda, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 16, 2013
Since Principal Harris arrived a couple of years ago, Lum's API scores have skyrocketed. The diversity index is very high. there is a strong anti-bullying program in place that has parents, teachers and the office work together to solve even small student squabbles. In 2013, Donald Lum was named a CALIFORNIA DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL for it's system-wide program improvement. Our kids are happy, safe and secure there. It's important to look at the date stamps on school reviews...some of the lower reviews are 4 or more years ago; different principal, different student body, different commitment to community and performance. The culture has changed significantly.

Posted May 16, 2013
My daughter has flourished at Lum. All three of her teachers, as well as music and media center teachers, have challenged my daughter academically, as well as create an atmosphere that makes her want to go to school. She has made tremendous strides in her academics, scoring proficient or advanced across the board, as well as develop into a strong individual. I could not have asked for a better experience than I have had at Lum. I always feel welcome and have felt that all the teachers as well as the principal have been open to communication.

Posted January 23, 2012
We've been at Lum since 2009 and have been extremely happy. It's a wonderful community, very diverse, caring and involved. There are so many fun school activities, such as Fall Family Festival, afterschool enrichment classes, Multi-cultural night, and alot of other PTA sponsored programs. All of my children's teachers are/have been great and even better than great. And having met or heard of the other Lum teachers from other parents, we're looking forward to upper grades. I really like our principal. She is out there with the kids, knows everyone's names, is so friendly and accessible but is very serious about keeping kids on track if need be. My son will start K this fall and I have every confidence in Lum. Best of all, my children like going to school and have made some great friends there.

Posted December 31, 2011
Lum was a very great school to go to. Ms. Tomine was a great 3rd grade teacher! Too bad she retired. Ms. Holmes was a great teacher to work with in 4th grade and Ms. Finch was very nice to be with for 5th grade. Graduating from 5th grade was a very sad moment. Lum students and staff are part of a big family. I hope the students their will have the same expierence like I did. #LumBearForever!

Posted May 30, 2010
I loved this school from the beginning. Ms. Finch is strict but very caring and gives us enough homework to do! Everything there is fantastic, I can't find a better school than this one! There's a great club that helps the environment called "Garbage Club" and I can't say it isn't bad. I hope the kids that will go to Lum will have the same experience as I did in all my years!

Donald D. Lum Elementary School 2

Posted May 12, 2010
My son went to both Kindergarten and 1st grade at Lum school. I am very dissatisfied with the principal that is currently there, I went to Lum back in 80s and had a great experience. The only thing great I can say about Lum is their 1st grade teacher Ms Ratto. She truely helped my son get through his 1st grade year without any problems. We moved out of Alameda after his 1st grade year and it couldn't have been a better choice for us.

Posted April 20, 2009
My 2 kids, 1st and 3rd grades, love going to school at Lum. We have had wonderful teachers and really positive experiences. I feel that the teachers, staff and principal are constantly going above and beyond to ensure the children at this school feel safe and welcomed. The PTA is really committed to doing everything they can to keep the many programs going and involving the families in many social activities. Lum is extremely diverse and community-oriented. We are blessed to be a part of such a wonderful school.

Posted March 24, 2009
I am a parent of a 1st grader at Lum Elementary. I love it there and so does my son. His teachers have been fantastic and academics are top priority. The school is very diverse. Look at the school ethnic statistics and see the vast array of ethnicities in the school population. In my son's class alone (20 students), 11 students speak another language at home ranging from Farsi to Vietnamese to Russian. Lum has an active PTA and Principle Lyons has always been accessible to me. The school could use more yard duty personnel.

Donald D. Lum Elementary School 1

Posted January 28, 2009
I am extremely unsatisfied with Lum. As a teenager I attended Alameda schools and found them to be outstanding. I grew both socially and educationally- so naturally I felt it best to enroll my son in an Alameda school. Unfortunately Lum is not very diverse and the teachers seem to have a hard time connecting with children of color. The yard is not well supervised so there are often fights/arguments between the children that go unsolved. On several occassions Principal Lyons has handled situations improperly, and the teachers my child had often put him in groups with other children that were below grade level or had behavioral problems (also children of color). I wish Lum would let go of their 1950's mentality and encourage the children and teachers to be more accepting of others differences.

Donald D. Lum Elementary School 3

Posted October 08, 2008

Donald D. Lum Elementary School
1801 Sandcreek Way, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Donald D. Lum Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Donald D. Lum Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top