Frank Otis Elementary School 2

Posted August 03, 2015
Good community and diverse student population. Teaching methods are surprisingly traditional for the Bay Area with a strong emphasis (and reliance) on testing. School is bursting and many grades are over enrolled, which means you may be bumped after the first week if you are new and the grade is over subscribed. Principal is energetic, but not a able to successfully direct all of her teaching staff. Instead she does quite a bit of "horse trading," rewarding active volunteer parents (who will complain) with spots in the best classrooms (so they won't complain). This is not really a secret among Otis parents. We were new to the school and (no surprise) our child landed in one of the marginal teacher classrooms. Rough year for our child, who made great social connections, but was not supported well and lost a year academically. We tried to address with the principal mid-year and didn't make any real progress. After solid and caring K-4 teachers at our child's previous school, Otis was a huge disappointment for us. Happy for a fresh start at a new school next year.

Posted April 24, 2015
Otis has been great for both of my kids. I had one child who was in GATE and one who gets special education support, so we've experienced how the school works for two very different children. My academically successful child had advanced reading and math and I always felt that the curriculum was adequately challenging. The support that my more academically challenged child is receiving is phenomenal. The classroom teacher goes way above and beyond in providing help, and special ed provides several hours a week of general one-on-one help, social skills, and OT. It's overcrowded so space is an issue, but kids don't get lost in the shuffle. The parent community is highly involved and a lot of fun. It's a great community of people and a great school.

Posted March 21, 2014
Great principal, great teachers, great PtA, great parents, great cross walk guard. Greatest school in the bay areas. Go OWL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted February 25, 2014
Frank Otis is a real great school. Love it so much. Principal, Teachers, Parents, Kids, and Playground are the best from any other school in Alameda areas. I would say its over 5 stars rating.

Frank Otis Elementary School 4

Posted February 20, 2014
Otis is a warm community school with a REALLY high level of parent involvement. The community at the school is a bit quirky and you can definitely feel the unique culture at Otis. The PTA funds field trips, classroom supplies and buys technology for student use. Dr. Clem does an amazing amount with the few resources the district gives her and motivates the school community to make up the difference. My children have had teachers who work hard to provide an education for them. I can't say that all of the teachers are innovative but they are still effective at their craft and care a lot about the students. It is overcrowded but the staff does a good job in managing that.

Frank Otis Elementary School 4

Posted May 23, 2013
This school has attentive teachers and a great deal of energy paid to the kids well-being and happiness. It's a large school, but doesn't feel like it.

Posted October 15, 2012
Outstanding local school. Alameda has great schools in general. Fantastic involvement from parents and Dr. Clem is the most hands on principal I have ever encountered.

Posted February 09, 2012
I went to this school forty nine years ago. I have great memories at this school. This school help me become the person I am today.

Posted September 01, 2011
We are half way through our tenure at Otis and would definitively say that the school has exceeded all of our expectations. Our son has been fortunate in that each of his K-2 teachers have been an excellent "fit" for him. And after the first week, we are equally pleased with his 3rd grade teacher. We love the diversity, a strong and passionate school principal, the stunning amount of parent involvement and volunteerism, the many school traditions and events (ranging from Art a la Mode to Walkathon to Gingerbread House to Fall Carnival), and excellent school-parent communications (weekly e-newsletter and principal-parent-student assembly). Our neighborhood school has given us the opportunity to meet and befriend so many of our neighbors -- a true community resource.

Frank Otis Elementary School

Posted April 26, 2010
Otis has a great school community, with a lot of volunteer spirit, and great traditions and events.

Frank Otis Elementary School
3010 Fillmore Street, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Frank Otis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frank Otis Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top