Ruby Bridges Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Alameda

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $470,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Posted August 16, 2013

I have worked at Ruby Bridges since it 's inception. In my 10 years of teaching experience I have never had the pleasure to work with such a committed faculty, who truly love what they do! We are not only committed to the academic success of our children, but their health and social development as well. Every year I am excited because I know I will learn about a culture that I knew little about before due to the incredible diversity at our school (over 30 different languages are spoken!) But what keeps me coming back every year is the collaboration and support from all my intelligent colleagues, administrators, support staff and families, who I depend on to help me overcome any obstacle in the way of my student's learning. I could not be prouder to be a part of this wonderful, diverse community, where over 90% of teacher's with elementary age student's choose to send their own children to school each day. Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a shining star in AUSD!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 7, 2013

My daughter love this school, even she is physically disabled (Cerebral Palsy), she still have a good time w/ other children and loves going to school. She likes being in class and discover new things. Mrs. Weber is a very good teacher and Mrs. Mischelle is the best for taking good care of my girl. Thank you Ruby Bridges Family.

Posted August 17, 2011

My daughter went to Ruby Bridges for four years- K-3rd grade. Excellent principal, excellent teaching staff. My daughter says some of the kids use inappropriate language and are inappropriate in general---especially the boys, which is one reason we left. The other is that they seem to teach to the lower achieving students to pull them up, and this leaves the higher achievers a bit bored. My daughter's input: 1- Gym class is all running laps and she doesn't like that. 2- Teachers are not strict enough on inappropriate behavior.

Posted August 16, 2011

RBE has improved greatly throughout the years. My child has attended 3 years so far. His teachers are dedicated, hardworking & give the proper discipline for my child. They have established his strengths & we all know what needs improvement. His STAR testing standards were in the advanced level for his grade. Every school has its own concerns but I believe the experience is driven by family commitment to a school, not just the staff. There is also the LEAPS afterschool care & they are fantastic! My son has taken dance, music, theatre with lessons in art, math and science. A great school if you love diversity! Strong ethics discouraging bullying and accepting difference. Very diverse socio-economic & cultural backgrounds. It has been a great learning experience for our family. PTA is dedicated, always needing more people (as seems to be the case at many Alameda schools). A school is what you make it to be and is only as great as the staff, PTA and dedicated families. We plan to complete his education until 5th, and look forward to a new school year!

Posted June 13, 2011

My kinder garten son and my 2nd grade daughter went to this school 2010-11 and I give the teachers, administration, facility, and curriculum 5 of 5 stars. We had an excellent experience. Ms Goodman's fantastic leadership is supported by the excellent teachers and she creates a welcoming, community environment. They have great special assemblies like their talent show, encourage the kids academically as well as socially, and treat families as part of the community. The teachers really give 110% and obtain lots of extra funds from places like science and art funding. We also participated in the LEAPs after school program which is the best i have ever been a part of. Special thanks to Ms. Y, Mr Parodi (vicP) and Ms. Rider. The only things that need improvement are low family involvement (improving), some crabby staff members in the office and recess/lunch monitors, and the large campus population (i think it is the biggest elementary in Alameda). I would not like to see it get any bigger. Even those don't rate one less star.

Posted April 20, 2011

We are in our second year at Ruby Bridges, with experience in grades K-2. I frankly had pretty low expectations for a public school, even if an Alameda School. We have been very pleasantly surprised by the school's proactivity in working with us to ensure our children are successful. I love the values and commitment of the faculty and administration. What I know of strategic decisions make great sense (e.g., early intervention, leverage pre-learning of concepts to slower learners to drive the whole class forward faster). Improving test scores without being driven by them. Closing the gap on educational disparities by race, socio-economic status, English-learners and learning abilities. And incredible diversity! So many languages and backgrounds in every single class. While I miss some other things that private schools might offer, such as foreign language and community service programs, as a public school I love Ruby Bridges.

Posted April 5, 2011

It is a beautiful and a new school, but I do not understand why the Ruby Bridges' GreatSchools Ratings is only 6? (6 out 10), it ir very low. I am so worry students' academic performance

Posted March 31, 2011

My daughter is now in 3rd grade and I've had her in Ruby Bridges since K. This school, although placed in the "bad" side of town, is excellent. The principal, the staff, and "most" of the teachers are great. My daughter continues to get shown great attention. After a few weeks of the 3rd grade year, the principal and another staff member was in touch about some problems my daughter was having in the school and immediately had her accessed. An intervention plan was taken. Friendly staff, DEDICATED school, great from top to bottom. The passion from the principal is felt from top to bottom.

Posted January 30, 2011

I'll get to the point this school is great no bs. The teachers are cool and care about the kids and they also have a strong pta. My kids go here and I say if you want your kids in a good public school send em here.

Posted November 29, 2009

Physcially, this is a beautiful school. It is modern. It has a great library/media center! It has dedicated teachers, some average teachers and no bad teachers. The problems we had with this school were a few 'bad apple' children not from Alameda. If they could not import bad apples, it would have been a great experience for our kids.

Posted October 5, 2009

We moved to Alameda a few years ago and had no ideas about the school districts. However, as my son just joined the Kindergarten program for a few weeks at Ruby Bridges, we found him pleased and motivated. His teacher Ms. Weber is excellent by providing adequate caring and assistance. She has done a wonderful job to teach my son. We believe we have made the right decision to send our kid to Ruby Bridges.

Posted September 30, 2009

Amazing, loving teachers and staff, wonderful principal (Jan Goodman), and a great philosophy of peace, democracy, communication and non-violent conflict resolution. The school is beautiful and modern with safe play grounds and a school garden. I trust that my child is well cared for when he is at school, and that I can communicate with staff if I have issues. My child is advancing and increasing his aptitude for learning and his ability to relate and communicate with other people. We are proud to be Ruby Bridges Stars!

Posted May 29, 2009

My son attended this school for half of the year. The teacher was more fixed on being his friend than his teacher. She diden't make him responsible for his actions, she babied him and a lot of the other kids. The principal is not all that great either she would not put my son in anothr class so I took him out of the school.

Posted September 23, 2008

My children are now in their third year at Ruby Bridges school (G3 & 5), and we have been extremely happy with the school. Not only are they doing extremely well academically with the great teachers who are there, but I believe that the diversity of the student population and the activities and student leadership opportunities are giving my children an education that I have not heard of at any other school in Alameda.

Posted September 23, 2008

I love working at Ruby Bridges. The staff is very goal oriented and positive. I think we are off to a great start. Our API is now over 800 which is excellent and our student population is so culturally diverse. I couldn't work for a better school or principal for that matter.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 12, 2008

This school is really great, my daughters are adjusting well to the move. This is the newest school in all of Alameda so I am sure after a few more years this website will have enough data to rate this school more justly. The teachers are kind and caring. More importantly, my daughters look forward to going everyday.

Posted June 3, 2008

This like all the other alameda district schools employees teachers who are there for a paycheck and nothing else. This is the worst school my child has ever attended. Teachers are unorganized and have little regard for the achievement of the children in their classrooms. Administration is more concerned with politics then helping children achieve their best.

Posted April 8, 2008

Ruby Bridges is in a growth period since it is in its second year. The teachers my daughters (K,1&4,5) have had are excellent! I've been very pleased with the teachers, principal, and PTA at this school. The school is very diverse and the school sends home flyers not only in English, but other languages as well to get the information out to all parents.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students44%

• Jan Goodman
Fax number
  • (510) 748-8314

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now