Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Posted August 10, 2015
We were at Ruby Bridges with our sons for several years before moving and were extremely satisfied. We really miss the school now that we have moved. My oldest was at two other highly rated schools before Ruby Bridges, yet we were much more impressed with Ruby Bridges. A large percentage of my family are educators, and most in my family have Masters and Doctorate degrees. A couple of family members have advanced degrees in early childhood education. Thus, we take education very seriously in our family. Our family was consistent in our appraisals of Ruby Bridges as an excellent school. We heard from people in the neighborhood by Ruby Bridges that the were concerned about the test scores; however, it is very important to take these in context. Test scores are very deceiving when interpreted out of context. Ruby Bridges has a high percentage of students who are English-as-Second-Language and many transfer students. This greatly impacts scores. Students who have been at Ruby Bridges long-term have done very well on test scores, and students who are English-as-Second-Language and transfers tend to show consistent improvement over time. When you interpret the statistics in context it is evident that Ruby Bridges is an excellent school. Our experience really supports this as well. One of the things I really appreciated at Ruby Bridges was that the teachers were great at adjusting to our sons strengths and styles. We also really saw them work with children in accordance with their challenges. The teachers were also very good at staying in consistent communication with us and always being open to our questions. The biggest challenge at Ruby Bridges is that the PTA has struggled. This is partially from a lack of parental involvement, but also partially due to leadership.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 10, 2015
We had 3 different teachers during the time our sons were at Ruby Bridges. We were greatly impressed with all three and would highly recommend each of them. We only were able to get to know a couple of other teachers, but were impressed what we learned about them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 10, 2015
My oldest son attended two other schools before Ruby Bridges. In both of these, I would say the homework was too much. At Ruby Bridges, it was much more balanced and they had a better approach to homework.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted August 10, 2015
Yes, but they do this in a balanced way. For example, our oldest son had what we felt was quite excessive homework at his previous school. He developed a strong aversion to homework due to this. At Ruby Bridges, they focus on developing foundational good skills. They really worked with us to help develop a plan for our son where he was not overwhelmed by homework and where it wasn't experienced as negatively. Over time, we saw great improvement in this area.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 10, 2015
Yes. I would particularly emphasize diversity in response to this issue. The school is very diverse and deals with this quite well.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 10, 2015
Yes! They help to identify student leaders to help younger students learn to resolve conflict. They also do a good job at role modeling and using direct interventions with children to assist in developing these skills.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 10, 2015
This was evident in various ways: First, I was greatly impressed with the principal and administrators. When a couple of children were getting into trouble during the walk to and from school, they reached out to the children and intervened in a proactive way. Many schools would just say, "We can't do anything about what they do when not at school." Instead of taking this route, Ruby Bridges spoke with the children and families. This wasn't done in a shaming way, but rather in a manner to promote better behavior. Second, the teachers really do a great job at adjusting to the particular needs, strengths, and weaknesses of the children. Third, they focus on the development of particular values, such as honesty and compassion, with students.

Posted June 11, 2015
My daughter love going to school at Ruby Bridges. She's in a special day class. She is on a wheelchair, she have the best paras and teacher... She's been here since 1st grade and will stay here until she finish 5th grade... My son is in kindergarten and love his teacher and will stay here until he finish 5th grade too...

Ruby Bridges Elementary School 4

Posted March 09, 2015
My kids have been attending Ruby Bridges for four years. My son was in the special education program and has since aged out which is disappointing because their teacher and paras are top notch. They're so friendly and caring towards the kids, and relatable to adults. My daughter has been involved with their "peace makers" program, loves the "green team", and is involved with the school's playworks program. The school is in an outstanding neighborhood. I dislike are the school's "line up" process where all the students line up on the playground and then haphazardly make their way to class all at the same time. I would recommend they line up outside their classrooms. They do a "three point touch" thing where a bell rings and all the students have to kneel down. This reminds me of a prison yard when all the inmates must lie down. I dislike that but again, not a big deal. The school grounds are dirty. I don't know how these kids manage to stay dressed with all the clothes left all over the playground but to the school's credit, they gather up all the clothes and lay them out for the students to collect after school. All in all, I love this school for my kids and will be sad to leave.

Posted August 16, 2013
I have worked at Ruby Bridges since it 's inception. In my 10 years of teaching experience I have never had the pleasure to work with such a committed faculty, who truly love what they do! We are not only committed to the academic success of our children, but their health and social development as well. Every year I am excited because I know I will learn about a culture that I knew little about before due to the incredible diversity at our school (over 30 different languages are spoken!) But what keeps me coming back every year is the collaboration and support from all my intelligent colleagues, administrators, support staff and families, who I depend on to help me overcome any obstacle in the way of my student's learning. I could not be prouder to be a part of this wonderful, diverse community, where over 90% of teacher's with elementary age student's choose to send their own children to school each day. Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a shining star in AUSD!

351 Jack London Avenue, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ruby Bridges Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top