Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

We were at Ruby Bridges with our sons for several years before moving and were extremely satisfied. We really miss the school now that we have moved. My oldest was at two other highly rated schools before Ruby Bridges, yet we were much more impressed with Ruby Bridges. A large percentage of my family are educators, and most in my family have Masters and Doctorate degrees. A couple of family members have advanced degrees in early childhood education. Thus, we take education very seriously in our family. Our family was consistent in our appraisals of Ruby Bridges as an excellent school. We heard from people in the neighborhood by Ruby Bridges that the were concerned about the test scores; however, it is very important to take these in context. Test scores are very deceiving when interpreted out of context. Ruby Bridges has a high percentage of students who are English-as-Second-Language and many transfer students. This greatly impacts scores. Students who have been at Ruby Bridges long-term have done very well on test scores, and students who are English-as-Second-Language and transfers tend to show consistent improvement over time. When you interpret the statistics in context it is evident that Ruby Bridges is an excellent school. Our experience really supports this as well. One of the things I really appreciated at Ruby Bridges was that the teachers were great at adjusting to our sons strengths and styles. We also really saw them work with children in accordance with their challenges. The teachers were also very good at staying in consistent communication with us and always being open to our questions. The biggest challenge at Ruby Bridges is that the PTA has struggled. This is partially from a lack of parental involvement, but also partially due to leadership.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We had 3 different teachers during the time our sons were at Ruby Bridges. We were greatly impressed with all three and would highly recommend each of them. We only were able to get to know a couple of other teachers, but were impressed what we learned about them.

Amount of homework: Agree

My oldest son attended two other schools before Ruby Bridges. In both of these, I would say the homework was too much. At Ruby Bridges, it was much more balanced and they had a better approach to homework.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This was evident in various ways: First, I was greatly impressed with the principal and administrators. When a couple of children were getting into trouble during the walk to and from school, they reached out to the children and intervened in a proactive way. Many schools would just say, "We can't do anything about what they do when not at school." Instead of taking this route, Ruby Bridges spoke with the children and families. This wasn't done in a shaming way, but rather in a manner to promote better behavior. Second, the teachers really do a great job at adjusting to the particular needs, strengths, and weaknesses of the children. Third, they focus on the development of particular values, such as honesty and compassion, with students.

My daughter love going to school at Ruby Bridges. She's in a special day class. She is on a wheelchair, she have the best paras and teacher... She's been here since 1st grade and will stay here until she finish 5th grade... My son is in kindergarten and love his teacher and will stay here until he finish 5th grade too...

My kids have been attending Ruby Bridges for four years. My son was in the special education program and has since aged out which is disappointing because their teacher and paras are top notch. They're so friendly and caring towards the kids, and relatable to adults. My daughter has been involved with their "peace makers" program, loves the "green team", and is involved with the school's playworks program. The school is in an outstanding neighborhood. I dislike are the school's "line up" process where all the students line up on the playground and then haphazardly make their way to class all at the same time. I would recommend they line up outside their classrooms. They do a "three point touch" thing where a bell rings and all the students have to kneel down. This reminds me of a prison yard when all the inmates must lie down. I dislike that but again, not a big deal. The school grounds are dirty. I don't know how these kids manage to stay dressed with all the clothes left all over the playground but to the school's credit, they gather up all the clothes and lay them out for the students to collect after school. All in all, I love this school for my kids and will be sad to leave.

I have worked at Ruby Bridges since it 's inception. In my 10 years of teaching experience I have never had the pleasure to work with such a committed faculty, who truly love what they do! We are not only committed to the academic success of our children, but their health and social development as well. Every year I am excited because I know I will learn about a culture that I knew little about before due to the incredible diversity at our school (over 30 different languages are spoken!) But what keeps me coming back every year is the collaboration and support from all my intelligent colleagues, administrators, support staff and families, who I depend on to help me overcome any obstacle in the way of my student's learning. I could not be prouder to be a part of this wonderful, diverse community, where over 90% of teacher's with elementary age student's choose to send their own children to school each day. Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a shining star in AUSD!

My daughter went to Ruby Bridges for four years- K-3rd grade. Excellent principal, excellent teaching staff. My daughter says some of the kids use inappropriate language and are inappropriate in general---especially the boys, which is one reason we left. The other is that they seem to teach to the lower achieving students to pull them up, and this leaves the higher achievers a bit bored. My daughter's input: 1- Gym class is all running laps and she doesn't like that. 2- Teachers are not strict enough on inappropriate behavior.

RBE has improved greatly throughout the years. My child has attended 3 years so far. His teachers are dedicated, hardworking & give the proper discipline for my child. They have established his strengths & we all know what needs improvement. His STAR testing standards were in the advanced level for his grade. Every school has its own concerns but I believe the experience is driven by family commitment to a school, not just the staff. There is also the LEAPS afterschool care & they are fantastic! My son has taken dance, music, theatre with lessons in art, math and science. A great school if you love diversity! Strong ethics discouraging bullying and accepting difference. Very diverse socio-economic & cultural backgrounds. It has been a great learning experience for our family. PTA is dedicated, always needing more people (as seems to be the case at many Alameda schools). A school is what you make it to be and is only as great as the staff, PTA and dedicated families. We plan to complete his education until 5th, and look forward to a new school year!

My kinder garten son and my 2nd grade daughter went to this school 2010-11 and I give the teachers, administration, facility, and curriculum 5 of 5 stars. We had an excellent experience. Ms Goodman's fantastic leadership is supported by the excellent teachers and she creates a welcoming, community environment. They have great special assemblies like their talent show, encourage the kids academically as well as socially, and treat families as part of the community. The teachers really give 110% and obtain lots of extra funds from places like science and art funding. We also participated in the LEAPs after school program which is the best i have ever been a part of. Special thanks to Ms. Y, Mr Parodi (vicP) and Ms. Rider. The only things that need improvement are low family involvement (improving), some crabby staff members in the office and recess/lunch monitors, and the large campus population (i think it is the biggest elementary in Alameda). I would not like to see it get any bigger. Even those don't rate one less star.

Last modified Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.