Posted March 09, 2015
My kids have been attending Ruby Bridges for four years. My son was in the special education program and has since aged out which is disappointing because their teacher and paras are top notch. They're so friendly and caring towards the kids, and relatable to adults. My daughter has been involved with their "peace makers" program, loves the "green team", and is involved with the school's playworks program. The school is in an outstanding neighborhood. I dislike are the school's "line up" process where all the students line up on the playground and then haphazardly make their way to class all at the same time. I would recommend they line up outside their classrooms. They do a "three point touch" thing where a bell rings and all the students have to kneel down. This reminds me of a prison yard when all the inmates must lie down. I dislike that but again, not a big deal. The school grounds are dirty. I don't know how these kids manage to stay dressed with all the clothes left all over the playground but to the school's credit, they gather up all the clothes and lay them out for the students to collect after school. All in all, I love this school for my kids and will be sad to leave.

Posted August 16, 2013
I have worked at Ruby Bridges since it 's inception. In my 10 years of teaching experience I have never had the pleasure to work with such a committed faculty, who truly love what they do! We are not only committed to the academic success of our children, but their health and social development as well. Every year I am excited because I know I will learn about a culture that I knew little about before due to the incredible diversity at our school (over 30 different languages are spoken!) But what keeps me coming back every year is the collaboration and support from all my intelligent colleagues, administrators, support staff and families, who I depend on to help me overcome any obstacle in the way of my student's learning. I could not be prouder to be a part of this wonderful, diverse community, where over 90% of teacher's with elementary age student's choose to send their own children to school each day. Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a shining star in AUSD!

Posted June 07, 2013
My daughter love this school, even she is physically disabled (Cerebral Palsy), she still have a good time w/ other children and loves going to school. She likes being in class and discover new things. Mrs. Weber is a very good teacher and Mrs. Mischelle is the best for taking good care of my girl. Thank you Ruby Bridges Family.

Ruby Bridges Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2011
My daughter went to Ruby Bridges for four years- K-3rd grade. Excellent principal, excellent teaching staff. My daughter says some of the kids use inappropriate language and are inappropriate in general---especially the boys, which is one reason we left. The other is that they seem to teach to the lower achieving students to pull them up, and this leaves the higher achievers a bit bored. My daughter's input: 1- Gym class is all running laps and she doesn't like that. 2- Teachers are not strict enough on inappropriate behavior.

Posted August 16, 2011
RBE has improved greatly throughout the years. My child has attended 3 years so far. His teachers are dedicated, hardworking & give the proper discipline for my child. They have established his strengths & we all know what needs improvement. His STAR testing standards were in the advanced level for his grade. Every school has its own concerns but I believe the experience is driven by family commitment to a school, not just the staff. There is also the LEAPS afterschool care & they are fantastic! My son has taken dance, music, theatre with lessons in art, math and science. A great school if you love diversity! Strong ethics discouraging bullying and accepting difference. Very diverse socio-economic & cultural backgrounds. It has been a great learning experience for our family. PTA is dedicated, always needing more people (as seems to be the case at many Alameda schools). A school is what you make it to be and is only as great as the staff, PTA and dedicated families. We plan to complete his education until 5th, and look forward to a new school year!

Posted June 13, 2011
My kinder garten son and my 2nd grade daughter went to this school 2010-11 and I give the teachers, administration, facility, and curriculum 5 of 5 stars. We had an excellent experience. Ms Goodman's fantastic leadership is supported by the excellent teachers and she creates a welcoming, community environment. They have great special assemblies like their talent show, encourage the kids academically as well as socially, and treat families as part of the community. The teachers really give 110% and obtain lots of extra funds from places like science and art funding. We also participated in the LEAPs after school program which is the best i have ever been a part of. Special thanks to Ms. Y, Mr Parodi (vicP) and Ms. Rider. The only things that need improvement are low family involvement (improving), some crabby staff members in the office and recess/lunch monitors, and the large campus population (i think it is the biggest elementary in Alameda). I would not like to see it get any bigger. Even those don't rate one less star.

Posted April 20, 2011
We are in our second year at Ruby Bridges, with experience in grades K-2. I frankly had pretty low expectations for a public school, even if an Alameda School. We have been very pleasantly surprised by the school's proactivity in working with us to ensure our children are successful. I love the values and commitment of the faculty and administration. What I know of strategic decisions make great sense (e.g., early intervention, leverage pre-learning of concepts to slower learners to drive the whole class forward faster). Improving test scores without being driven by them. Closing the gap on educational disparities by race, socio-economic status, English-learners and learning abilities. And incredible diversity! So many languages and backgrounds in every single class. While I miss some other things that private schools might offer, such as foreign language and community service programs, as a public school I love Ruby Bridges.

Posted April 05, 2011
It is a beautiful and a new school, but I do not understand why the Ruby Bridges' GreatSchools Ratings is only 6? (6 out 10), it ir very low. I am so worry students' academic performance

Posted March 31, 2011
My daughter is now in 3rd grade and I've had her in Ruby Bridges since K. This school, although placed in the "bad" side of town, is excellent. The principal, the staff, and "most" of the teachers are great. My daughter continues to get shown great attention. After a few weeks of the 3rd grade year, the principal and another staff member was in touch about some problems my daughter was having in the school and immediately had her accessed. An intervention plan was taken. Friendly staff, DEDICATED school, great from top to bottom. The passion from the principal is felt from top to bottom.

Posted January 30, 2011
I'll get to the point this school is great no bs. The teachers are cool and care about the kids and they also have a strong pta. My kids go here and I say if you want your kids in a good public school send em here.

Ruby Bridges Elementary School
351 Jack London Avenue, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Ruby Bridges Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ruby Bridges Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top