Posted December 02, 2013
I once read a study that said one great teacher can change your whole life's trajectory. Both my sons had their "one great teacher" at Wood School...and not even the same teacher! The teachers are wonderful: It takes a very special group of professionals to inspire both the kids who need a little support and also the kids who need a challenge. With such a truly diverse (socio-economically, culturally, and academically) school, the teachers have to be exceptional. And they are. The students are terrific, also. Both my boys have made good friends here, and my (now) high schooler has remained close with the kids he met at Wood. I can't recommend this solid, positive, Wood middle school experience enough.

Posted November 20, 2013
My daughter was new to the community when she started 6th grade at Wood Middle School and felt welcomed by students and staff alike. She made friends very quickly which was wonderful because she tends to be on the shyer side. Her teachers had innovative ideas and seemed to balance the academic rigor with creative projects. My daughter has always loved art and she actually had 2 projects displayed at the Alameda Library. The band teacher is nothing short of amazing and they put on 2 fabulous concerts! Wood is a wonderful community and a good fit for our family. I've been able to make connections myself and really feel that sense of a positive and caring community that is so important for these middle school years. I would definitely recommend this school!

Will C. Wood Middle School 2

Posted April 30, 2013
I was very disappointed with this school. They did not properly honor my child's 504-Plan which was in effect before we entered the school, they employed at least one teacher who was inappropriately verbally and emotionally abusive toward my son due to his medical condition and in spite of his previously filed 504-Plan (and of course the school backed the teacher in her behavior which was just one step below the abuse other students were allowed to behave towards him). Thanks to the ineffective "anti-bullying policy" here over a year ago (hopefully it's improved this past year), my son was assaulted on numerous occassions by other students on campus and bullied so badly due to his medical issues that he became afraid to complain, and had to be pulled from this environment. One of his friends who also had documented medical issues endured similar experiences at this school during their time here. He did have some good teachers that were kind and compassionate; though the bad experiences definately outweighed the good. After removing him from this school, his grades and test scores improved thanks to being able to finally get an education safely.

Posted April 21, 2013
My son went to Wood and my other two children are looking forward to going there next year. It is a great school with a community that has rallied around it's success. My son was in a school play, went on a trip to Ashland Oregon with his drama class and participated in activities even though he is quite shy. I found the teachers and staff very supportive and innovative - important in middle school!

Posted December 13, 2012
I have two kids at Wood and they are thriving academically, socially, and emotionally. Initially I had some reservations due to Wood being in program improvement and I am glad I gave Wood a chance. Based on two years of experience there, I have found that the majority of teachers are very good, caring, supportive, and communicative. Many collaborate with one another, are innovative, creative, and passionate about teaching. There are a number of excellent programs at Wood, unparalleled by other middle schools, including an amazing music program (concert band, guitar) and art program that includes ceramics. The math, science, English language arts, and history classes provide challenge, involve interesting projects, and have the right amount of homework that allows students the time for other activities outside of school and to have balance in their lives. There are sports such as basketball and volleyball and the student leadership class organizes a number of fun extracurricular activities. We like Wood a lot due to it being a medium sized school where most kids know each other. It is a great comprehensive school that has much to offer.

Posted April 10, 2012
Wood is a great school. My daughter is a sixth grader here. She has been able to adapt very nicely. The school has wonderful teachers, students, and staff, and the PTA is fabulous! The community at Wood really care about the students well being, and are dedicated to ensuring that they have a successful future. Go Beavers!!

Posted April 10, 2012
I am Very impressed with the caring staff and the high quality teachers. Friendly and caring parents. Fun and Hip principle. Wood is a Great School thats on the Rise, Lots of great things coming to Wood in the Near future. My Son is in 6th Grade and is looking forward to his next 2 Year at Wood. Go Beavers !!!

Posted March 08, 2010

Posted November 11, 2009

Posted October 03, 2009
The teachers, paraprofessionals, and administrative staff work together to create an inspiring learning environment.

Will C. Wood Middle School
420 Grand Street, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Will C. Wood Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Will C. Wood Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top