School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Nea is in its third year of operation. It currently has 465 learners in grades K-11 and will expand to grade 12 next year. Nea has received 341 applications for approximately 73 openings next year. Nea still has opening for grades 9-12. Apply online at neaclc.net
March 10, 2012

Posted June 13, 2015
My daughter had a fabulous year at Nea! I highly recommend Nea for its innovative Project Based Learning curriculum and its bright, hard working, loving staff. My daughter feels safe and happy at Nea and her confidence has grown under the thoughtful direction of her teachers. Each classroom has its own website that the teachers meticulously update each week making communication is easy and welcomed. Another benefit is that Nea is a small school. Not only do my daughter's teachers know and support her but the entire staff look out for her, as they do with each student. If you are interested in a warm, loving environment with cutting edge curriculum taught by highly skilled teachers, Nea is the place for you.

Nea Community Learning Center School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 13, 2015
The Nea 9 principles (one studied each month of the school year) gives students the character lessons needed for real life.

Posted June 12, 2015
My family and I moved up to Alameda three years ago. I'm was happy to find Nea for a few reasons. I have found that the Nea staff is dedicated to their students. They go above and beyond to provide the best learning experiences for their students. Secondly, I've observed the skills of the teachers that have made me confidence that my child is receiving instruction from teachers that are truly gifted at facilitating learning. Last, the administrative staff is cohesive, and they work seamlessly towards providing support to the teachers, students, and the families of the Nea community. I highly recommend Nea to anyone who cares about their child's education!

Nea Community Learning Center School 2

Posted June 07, 2015
We are a CG family and figured we'd give this school a try since the one my kids are zoned for had less than stellar ratings. From day one, we noticed how unorganized the school is. From the classes to the office, everything is just chaotic. The turnover rate for teachers is ridiculously high. Bullying has been a huge issue and the school's lack of response or care is less than impressive. Having a child with special needs and an IEP, we also struggled with maintaining the standards of his IEP. He went through Paras like people change socks. One of the Paras even went as far as to curse at and belittle my child. Even though the teacher was aware of tension between my son and the Para, she self admittedly did nothing to see why. The campus is completely open to the public with a big gate that says it's supposed to be locked during the day is never closed. There have been numerous lock downs for a variety of reasons. I am not the only family who has had issues and am also not the only family who will not be returning next year. As much as we wanted to like it, that just didn't happen.

Nea Community Learning Center School 1

Posted June 01, 2015
This is my third year at NEA. The time that I have spent enrolled in this school has been very disappointing. The current facilitators aren't horrible, but they also aren't great. A few of them are very unprofessional and get away with it. That won't be a problem though for anyone who hasn't enrolled yet that is planning to because most of the facilitators will most likely be fired or just leave due to whatever lead to their decision making. This school lacks communication and in my opinion does not meet their standards that they claim to have for us learners. One of the many bad experiences I've had at Nea is when I was being bullied in tree and wrote the person up for JC (a process in which "The learner-run peer disciplinary council meets weekly to consider issues related to infringement of rules outlined in the Nea planner") but instead of the situation being taken care of and resolved, the whole thing was forgotten. Sadly, as far as I know I am graduating from this place that is surprisingly still a school. Honestly very ashamed of that in every way. If you're a parent and are looking for an actual high school for your child, I advise you to not get your child stuck in this place. Of course every parent and child is in different need, and I respect that, but as for me and probably others, being here for as long as I have has only ruined my academic career.

Nea Community Learning Center School 1

Posted May 21, 2015
Im a student in the upper school. The lower school was great and the upper school sucks. Tree is a 2 hour waste, it's so loud that I can't do my work even with headphones on. Self-guided means nothing to me, I'm here to learn so I can go to college. Students who are rude to teachers are allowed to go play with the young kid and so who wouldn't be rude if they're already rude anyway? Yeah...lets get out of class! The students have the upper hand and its not good for teachers and for me.

Posted January 11, 2015
We have been at Nea from its beginning in 2008. Our son will enter 6th grade at Nea next year. Nea has always been a strong school in our opinion. It has a very ambitious vision, which appealed to us from the start: create a project based learning environment where students are nurtured within a caring and supportive community. There is no denying that Nea has gone through some traumatic changes. But this year has also shown that school has turned around in the best possible ways: teachers are enthusiastic to work at Nea; strong curriculum, organization and quality teaching is a high priority. Class sizes are small, even in middle school, so all teachers know the children very well and students feel like they have a real voice. The parent community is diverse, very involved and comes together through a common philosophy. But most importantly, the children I see at Nea are both emotionally and academically smart, and grow into well rounded young adults. I am happy to know that my child will be around them for a few years yet, at a moment where good peer relations are critical.

Posted November 23, 2014
My learners are in the Lower Village, and we have been at the school since its second year. Their facilitators have been excellent every year, and the model ensures facilitators can be collaborative and creative. The administration is hardworking, organized and committed to excellence from themselves, facilitators and learners. My learners have friends who are creative, engaged kids with interests beyond the usual -- a reflection of the diverse and creative parent community. There's a theme here... If traditional school is not for you or your family, look into Nea.

Posted October 13, 2014
We have two children that go to Nea, both very different learners, and are happy on both fronts. Our older child uses special education services and we couldn't be happier with the willingness of the school to accommodate her. When going through the IEP process, we were warned by parents in other school to be ready to fight tooth and nail for services from the school. We had the complete opposite experience. The special education department worked with her classroom teachers and everyone is willing to accommodate her in any way possible. Alternatively, our youngest has an easier time with learning and is very self-motivated. The students are given opportunities to think about and improve upon projects, sometimes revising a project several times to see how they can make it even better. Both our children enjoy school and love their teachers.

Posted October 06, 2014
My two children have been going to Nea since it began, and I'm delighted with how responsive they are to my children's very different learning styles and needs. Having two children with diagnosed learning differences (ADHD, ADD, sequential processing), and how inclusive, flexible and creative the teaching and paraprofessional staff are with them is amazing. I love that my intelligent, playful, artistic, and imaginative children's abilities are not only recognized, but welcomed and encouraged. My son loves his robotics class, and didn't want to miss school just so he wouldn't miss that class. My daughter adores writing, now, she didn't before, she hated it, and the forward thinking facilitators have taken what used to be a closed spigot, and changed it to a deluge, to the point that she has created her own blog! The school encourages the learners to be forward thinking, democratic, care for the planet, and technologically savvy. I know my children will be able to speak up for themselves in a thoughtful and collaborative way. I believe they will be intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate and contributing global citizens who strive to always learn more. What more could I ask? Not much!

Nea Community Learning Center School
500 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Nea Community Learning Center School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nea Community Learning Center School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 88 reviews. Top