Posted November 23, 2014
My learners are in the Lower Village, and we have been at the school since its second year. Their facilitators have been excellent every year, and the model ensures facilitators can be collaborative and creative. The administration is hardworking, organized and committed to excellence from themselves, facilitators and learners. My learners have friends who are creative, engaged kids with interests beyond the usual -- a reflection of the diverse and creative parent community. There's a theme here... If traditional school is not for you or your family, look into Nea.

Posted October 13, 2014
We have two children that go to Nea, both very different learners, and are happy on both fronts. Our older child uses special education services and we couldn't be happier with the willingness of the school to accommodate her. When going through the IEP process, we were warned by parents in other school to be ready to fight tooth and nail for services from the school. We had the complete opposite experience. The special education department worked with her classroom teachers and everyone is willing to accommodate her in any way possible. Alternatively, our youngest has an easier time with learning and is very self-motivated. The students are given opportunities to think about and improve upon projects, sometimes revising a project several times to see how they can make it even better. Both our children enjoy school and love their teachers.

Posted October 06, 2014
My two children have been going to Nea since it began, and I'm delighted with how responsive they are to my children's very different learning styles and needs. Having two children with diagnosed learning differences (ADHD, ADD, sequential processing), and how inclusive, flexible and creative the teaching and paraprofessional staff are with them is amazing. I love that my intelligent, playful, artistic, and imaginative children's abilities are not only recognized, but welcomed and encouraged. My son loves his robotics class, and didn't want to miss school just so he wouldn't miss that class. My daughter adores writing, now, she didn't before, she hated it, and the forward thinking facilitators have taken what used to be a closed spigot, and changed it to a deluge, to the point that she has created her own blog! The school encourages the learners to be forward thinking, democratic, care for the planet, and technologically savvy. I know my children will be able to speak up for themselves in a thoughtful and collaborative way. I believe they will be intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate and contributing global citizens who strive to always learn more. What more could I ask? Not much!

Posted September 27, 2014
This is my daughter's second year at Nea and she is thriving! After attending two different Alameda schools we found that while the schools were good, they weren't challenging or engaging her in the way we had hoped. We toured Nea and were so excited to have found this innovative, exciting option. Nea has not disappointed! The teachers are exceptional and the curriculum is outstanding.

Posted April 08, 2014
Our child has been at Nea for the last three years, since kindergarten. She loves going to school every day, and has had fantastic teachers three years in a row. The project-based work the kids do is so cool- really interesting stuff going on in all the elementary school grades. Our daughter loves the mixed-age electives that all the teachers offer. Over the past few years she has taken dance, theater, knitting, card games and more. Really impressed with all the teachers, and how engaged the kids are, as well as the diverse and creative parent community.

Posted March 12, 2014
Nea's been doing great by our 3rd grader. Her abilities in math and english are amazing. I believe a majority of the 'sour grapes' reviews are from families who just didn't fit back then. When common core testing starts getting traction Nea is going to start pulling away from the pack. All this being said there's no substitute for parent involvement and great teachers - our children has had both at Nea

Nea Community Learning Center School 1

Posted March 11, 2014
First off, a lot of the positive reviews are clustered on the same day, leading me to believe that someone's faking them up. This school was an absolute disaster for my daughter. She always got great grades and was very popular with other kids at her previous school. At NEA, her grades dropped, she began to hate school, and she had no friends. We homeschooled her over the summer and we were shocked at what she hadn't been learning. She was WAY behind in math. She's a well-liked honor student at her new public school. She once again loves school. I'm just so sorry that we inflicted 2 awful years of NEA on her. The school leadership is a disorganized, arrogant disgrace.

Nea Community Learning Center School 4

Posted February 20, 2014
My school is good but my math techer doest teach well at all.And yes I do go to upper villige.

Nea Community Learning Center School 1

Posted February 04, 2014
this school is very unorganized if your child is more social this isnt the school for them. Every year almost the whole staff is replaced with new and clueless teachers. The principle hardly even knows whats going on. The only reason the test scores are higher is because the 6th grade-12 grade consist of about 250 students. This school doesnt even have text books for students to overview for extra help or notes. they give you so much time to slake off. The teachers are clueless and dont know how to teach every year for the past two years a teacher has been fired in the middle of the year.

Posted December 06, 2013
I'm a 7th grader at Nea, and this is my fourth year here. Something I really like about this school is the facilitators (teachers) are always willing to help you with anything. They have office hours after school, and are friendly and easy to talk to. My Algebra facilitator is really good at explaining things. There are tons of electives to choose from. My favorite is Band. There are afterschool clubs: my favorite is track. You can't say this for a lot of Middle Schools, but I really LIKE going to school each day!

Nea Community Learning Center School
500 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Nea Community Learning Center School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nea Community Learning Center School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 61 reviews. Top