K-5|Private

Bad
Good

We've been at The Child Unique for a couple years but made the decision to move to another preschool. While we have appreciated the sweet & kind teachers Mari, Zoe, Elaiza, Versi & Sumaira we have reached our limit with the beyond frustrating administration. The greatest problem we've had with TCU is constant turnover & changes to the teaching roster. There have been a couple very bad teachers at TCU who yell at the children, don't seem to enjoy working with children, have low energy and don't interact with the kids much. These teachers left our child crying and begging not to go to school each morning, which is heartbreaking to deal with as a parent. The teachers were eventually transferred to another TCU campus, only after my repeated conversations, requests, emails and phone calls to the director. We did not feel that the Director dealt with the many concerns raised by the parents in an effective & satisfactory way. She is disorganized, defensive, confusing in her communication, unable to make quick and decisive decisions. She sticks to her regimented way of doing things rather than looking at the needs and interests of the children in her school.

The Child Unique is one of the best pre-school in Alameda. Both my children are now in elementary school and I couldn't be happier with how well they're doing in class. The teacher's are outstanding, they turn out some of the best learners. Cindy, the principal, is amazing. She picks the best teachers for her school and stays true to the Montessori method. She is so smart and engaging and truly knows how to mold the best teachers. My children started kindergarten fully prepared and I can honestly say they had been doing even more advanced work at CU. I'm also extremely thankful for their special way with boys. I cannot count the number of times I've heard parents thank the teachers for helping their sons feel confident and special and 'normal' rather than ashamed for being a high-energy boy. I've also seen the results in elementary school. Across the board all the CU graduates are at the top of their classes. If you can get in, GO, you won't regret it. Their waitlist is long so it's worth applying 6 months to a full year before you plan on attending.

My 6 1/2 year old daughter goes to The Child Unique Montessori school on Taylor Ave. This is a new school and there are only 6 children in the class and the quality one-on-one time she received is outstanding. My daughter loves this school and her teacher. The way they learn is also very different to normal schools and she thrives in that environment. She seems to be more advanced in her learning compared to kids in other public schools. I can highly recommend this school to anyone.

Last modified The Child Unique Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades K-5