Alameda, CA
Students enrolled: 1,089

Posted December 11, 2014
Inclusive school where all staff and students are welcoming and everyone is familiar with one another. New campus improvements done regularly. Promotes safety, organization, accountability, and respect. Go jets!

Posted September 16, 2014
Encinal is one of the best schools in the area. Sure they have a tight budget but they are spending it well. Not wasting money on useless things like other schools do. Encinal has a diverse community and the students have a lot of Jet Pride. My son has a lot of school spirit so he spends most of his time at school. The school has many sports/clubs/activities to choose from and the teachers are really good. I haven't heard any complaints about the teachers so far. Ms. Zazo is a great principal. She bonds with the students and it is obvious that the faculty loves helping students out.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 09, 2010
The kids are absolutely amazing...the school is so diverse and it is a true community.

Encinal High School 4

Posted December 14, 2009
This is a great school. The AP program is fantastic, however, the regular classes aren't as challenging. It's a smaller school. What I like most about going to school here is the community. Everyone knows each other and we're close knit. I moved to Alameda, so I didn't go to middle school with everyone, but by sophomore year, I had my group of close friends. Students here are accepting as long as you reach out and try to make friends.

Encinal High School 0

Posted November 03, 2009
It is a wonderful small high school, great staff, students and parents.

Encinal High School 2

Posted August 16, 2009
I went to Encinal for the past two years. It wasnt all that horrible, although sometimes certain teachers and the administration can show favoritism. Also, the school doesnt have all the supplies or tools a student needs to succeed. The only thing I like about Encinal were some of the teachers and my friends.

Posted June 26, 2009
My two wonderful daughters graduated from Encinal; one in 2008 and one this year. They are very different children, my oldest daughter is very outgoing, involved in leadership and various sports, my younger daughter is more reserved and was involved in a few activities such as yearbook and clubs. Encinal offered something for both of them, they felt very supported by their teachers, but also challenged to reach and exceed their potential. I am especially impressed with the principal who is more involved than any principal I have ever known. The AP program in phenomenal! The teachers are amazing, diverse, and tough and they really take a personal interest in the kids...even those who don't want it. This school is not 'ghetto' or gang laden, these amazing young adults are being accepted to schools like UC Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Baylor and many, many more.

Encinal High School 2

Posted June 08, 2009
My son has been at EHS for 3 yrs. I have very mixed feelings about the school; a few great teachers, many average teachers, a few horrible teachers. My son's opinion is that most of the teachers don't really care that much if the students are successful. I would agree, considering it is common for 2 or 3 weeks to pass before assignments are graded, so it's been impossible to address gaps. For the 1st 2 yrs the feedback we received from teachers was that my son had many missing assignments. This year, w/ School Loop, I've discovered that much of the problem is teachers unable to keep a grade book, because my son can show me the already-graded 'missing assignments.' In the end, my son has decided he'd rather transfer to another high school for his sr yr than stay at EHS. That's the most telling feedback of all.

Encinal High School 0

Posted February 11, 2009
Sorry - have to respond to that last one, as it is so inaccurate. The police are not here every day, or even every week, although we do have an officer on campus to keep kids safe, just as they do at Alameda High. As for drug use, studies have show that the richer the student body, the more prevalent the drug use. The Encinal student body, though wonderfully diverse, is not rich. There is no gang activity, although I imagine the writer is making a racist reference to African-American students who attend the school. Academically, Newsweek Magazine has rated Encinal High School in the top 5% of all pubic high schools in the United States based on its Advanced Placement programs. Look it up. Come sit in my classroom for a day and get to know Encinal again - then you won't go on website and make uninformed remarks.

Posted December 05, 2008

Encinal High School
210 Central Avenue, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Encinal High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Encinal High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top