Alameda, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 30, 2013
Addressing the ethnicity comments below. Yes, Franklin is pretty white like much of Alameda. Our son half Asian, half Caucasian. I have not personally felt looked down upon as a minority but I am very confidently not white. There are teachers of color and male teachers at the school. I'm not sure we should judge the staff by the color of their skin or gender but rather their competency.

Franklin Elementary School 4

Posted October 29, 2013
I am very happy with the school overall. All of the things mentioned about staff, PTA, diversity of student body, and overall commitment by everybody involved is very impressive. However, I don't see much diversity in terms of teaching staff and school personnel. Students should see other ethnicities represented on staff. Perhaps something to consider when it comes to hiring time.

Franklin Elementary School 3

Posted September 28, 2013
Our child went here for half of his elementary years. We were not impressed. The pros are great parental involvement (most of these parents have plenty of resources) and some very good teachers. The cons some teachers just teaching to the test, not a very inclusive community and a condescending vibe towards minorities. All the great things we had heard about this school seemed to be just parents wanting to believe their kids' schools is so great. Many of the wealthy families in the neighborhood are very invested, which also means they have a bit too much leverage with the principal. Not a bad school but it's not all the great things it's said to be.

Posted September 25, 2013
Franklin Elementary is an amazing School, with caring and knowledgeable staff. I consider this school's community our extended family. Thanks to the small size of the school, and excellent communications between parents, staff, and the extremely active PTA, I feel blessed to have both my children be able to attend such a stellar public school. 5th Graders graduate with a wonderful set of life skills as well as a great foundation for middle school when leaving Franklin School.

Posted September 25, 2013
We consider ourselves very fortunate to have both our children enrolled at Franklin. The teachers are all fantastic as are the students. Both children have made numerous friends - which have turned into family friendships. The the community of parents (and grandparents!) contribute so much to this school: PTA involvement, volunteering in the classroom, art projects, etc. My children are thriving and we couldn't be happier.

Posted September 25, 2013
We have had two children at Franklin School and have been very pleased with the school. On the whole the teachers are very good (although some are not as strong as others). The teachers are very accessible, and easy to reach if you have questions or concerns about your child. The parents are very involved, which I believe makes all the difference. We are very happy about how well-prepared our older daughter was for middle school. Most importantly, Franklin fosters a very positive atmosphere for the kids. Our kids have always been excited to go to school!

Franklin Elementary School 4

Posted September 25, 2013
Franklin is a great small neighborhood school in the heart of Alameda. The PTA is very actively involved in enriching the students' experience, and the teachers really seem to care. The overall community of parents, students, teachers and staff are warm and welcoming. The school facility itself is a little lacking in green space -- having grown up in a suburb where every school was surrounded by lush grassy fields, this bothered me a little before my son started at the school. However, I am willing to overlook this minor flaw as the park across the street is very convenient for recess/PE/extracurricular picnics.

Posted September 24, 2013
My husband and I are thrilled with Franklin School. Our 4rth grader and 1st grader have had excellent teachers who are passionate about teaching and learning, understand diversity and differentiated instruction, integrate creative projects throughout the year, and also know how to cover the basics. We also love the parent community. We've made lasting friendships and genuinely enjoy participating in school fund raising events, and community building activities because of how committed all the parents are (and how much fun we all like to have). The kids are safe, welcome, and always in good hands with community of parents and teachers at Franklin.

Posted September 24, 2013
Franklin has a dedicated staff and parents that make the school a great place for students to thrive and learn.

Posted September 23, 2013
We have two children in school at Franklin elementary in Alameda & are continually impressed by the teachers, staff and active parent community. This is our 5th year at Franklin & our children are thriving academically and enjoy the community events throughout the year. We are fortunate & proud to be a Franklin family.

Franklin Elementary School
1433 San Antonio Avenue, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Franklin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Franklin Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top