Alameda, CA
After care: No

Posted November 21, 2014
My son loves his school. He has grown socially and academically. Is it a perfect school? No, however they jump on problems ASAP.

Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School 2

Posted July 20, 2014
Freshmen year, it was the best education I had throughout my high school year! After that the whole education gone down hill. The teachers are biased towards "smart" well known students, and pay little no attention to students who try so hard to achieve to go honors and ap classes. They were highly biased and they added additional meeting and course to prep them for SAT Score. They won't help students who NEEDED help. I know all the "smart" students dread going to the meeting, unlike me I always wanted be there to learn more and improve my skills. I kill to get that additional help to improve my scores, ect.I've worked hard to get into honors & ap classes. Overall, they denied my request getting into honors class because of my "'grades", whereas I got straight A's. When they added placement test for honors class it screwed me over big time. I hadlittle to no information to study for, &the test was so unfair. Another thing is, all the good teachers are retired or got fired. New teachers are inexperience and unfairly don't give a dam about the students. I'm glad that I graduated from the horrible school.

Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School 3

Posted January 22, 2014
My son has attended SJND since 9th grade, he is now a senior. We have had lots of ups with the school but unfortunately some downs. Most teachers are well seasoned and wonderful, yet others are new and are not the best at handling all students but honestly that is to be expected. The counselors very very good. The recently hired college counselor is young and definitely needs experience but she too will probably be fine over time. I was personally pretty disappointed in her (lack of) assistance with our college prep. With that said, no one could ever in a million years touch the disappointment that i experienced with Don Lippi, the varsity basketball coach. I will not go into details but folks, if you are looking for a good basketball program for your son, SJND is not the place to go until Lippi is gone. This program is not what it used to be and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Lippi needs to retire, as his coaching style is dated and the boys are not having fun. He will degrade your son if he is not up to par and he will do it in front of others. Tread lightly as you've been warned.

Posted December 02, 2013
SJND is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The environment is perfect full of happy and caring people. Granted there are a few clicks but they aren't hostile and everyone is accepted regardless of background. One of SJND's strongest attribute is its strong teaching staff. After four years, I have never had a bad teacher and countless great teachers. The work is challenging but it is what you would expect. The Athletics at SJND are fantastic. They may not have a home field or track but the gym is one the best in the area and the teams use fields/tracks make due. Sport teams (from basket ball to tennis) all get good recognition and support from the student body. I would say SJND is the place to be.

Posted August 25, 2013
SJND is a gem of a school. Good kids, by and large; faculty is responsive when concerns are voiced, academics are solid; sports are fun and challenging. My kids are happy there. The homework level is high, especially "summer work." The kids need the summers to recharge, not prepare for AP classes - some of the work was understandable, but some was busy-work and unnecessary. That is the only serious complaint. Students at other schools also have summer assignments, but SJND's seem to be more voluminous. All said, though, very happy with the education my kids are receiving.

Posted January 20, 2013
What a wonderful school and environment! I note that only one person has rated this less than 5 stars, and that person obviously didn't go to this school, or he or she would have learned proper diction. I suggest that writer research the difference between "too" and "to". I presume they teach that at Bishop O'Dowd and Head Royce "too".

Posted September 01, 2011
SJND High School is a smaller high school with all of the bells and whistles that a bigger high school has (ie, sports, drama, music, clubs, high acdemic standards as well as support for students who have some learning challenges. My daughter made a good transition from middle school. This was possible due to the strong adminstrative and faculty team. They get to know the students and challenge them to do their best.

Posted December 18, 2010
SJND is an excellent school. I am a sophomore there, and am in 2 honors classes, and 1 advanced. Both the honors classes and the regular classes are challenging, without being overwhelming. The teachers are supportive, and make extra time for students who need help. There's a broad range of extracurriculars, from sports to clubs to the arts. I am a member of a variety of clubs, and perform in the plays and musicals whenever the opportunity arises. There are trips outside of the state offered by many clubs, and there are yearly trips to locations such as Costa Rica and Spain. I have been on one such trip, a historical tour through the American South focused on the Civil Rights Movement. I recommend this school to any student serious about their academics.

Posted November 20, 2010
This school is great. My kids have received incredible support from the staff, faculty and students, both academically and in extracurricular activities. The college prep curriculum is engaging and interesting. The school's small size is a plus, giving the school a feeling of community that you can't get in larger, High School Musical-sized schools. This is a school where your child will be known and greeted by name and will know that they are individually valued as a person, not just a student.

Posted November 19, 2010
Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School in Alameda is a small, college prep school with a supportive counseling program and a lovely campus. Honors and AP courses are available. My son and daughter have thrived at the school, which in addition to its fine academics, offers participation in sports teams, clubs, musicals and theater. Students are assigned a counselor in their freshman year, and retain that counselor throughout their high school years. Students with special needs/learning differences benefit from the services of the special-needs counselor. The school is inclusive and supportive, which is especially beneficial to students with learning differences. The school's relatively small size creates a community where students are known by name by the faculty and staff, and receive a rigorous education as well as being individually supported in determining and achieving their goals. SJND advocates social responsibility and requires its students to serve the community. There are yearly class service projects at various charitable organizations. Juniors and seniors also perform individual charitable service.

Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School
1011 Chestnut Street, Alameda, CA  94501
Last modified Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Saint Joseph Notre Dame High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top