PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son's catholic school was closing and the disconnect was happening quickly. I toured several schools, Catholic that is, but I fell right in line with this school St. Philip Neri. Unfortunately, I quickly saw what was lacking at the closing school. The principal at St. Philip, Mrs Murray was aware of what was going in the diocese and was very attentive to my son's needs. As a family we decided to leave the closing school 6 weeks before it closed because the teachers were interviewing other places and there was always a substitute. I lost a lot of sleep and decided to give Mrs.Murray a call. I asked if my son could start now. I didnt' want to wait to next year. This was urgent. I didn't want his studies to fall with the chaos at the other school. She agreed to let him start. And the first day walking into the school with my son, it was so easing to my soul. They took care of him and made sure he was comfortable. They jumped on wherever the other school had him lacking. I know that my son will get what he needs here. I am pleased with the willingness to make an adjustment for my child. For that I will be forever grateful to this school. He is excited and he comes home telling me how exciting his English teacher and Social Studies teacher. He is working hard in his math class. They are not leaving him behind but bringing him up to speed.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Kindergarten and first grade at least has been appropriate and manageable. Students are given a list of short assignments at the beginning of the week and are allowed to choose which to complete by Friday.

Warm community, emphasis on my child's character development as well as academics. Lots of enrichment classes and great student-teacher ratio.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school places great emphasis on character development and social justice. The children are taught to think about their behavior and choices.

We moved here for Middle School, and couldn't be happier. We came from a $$$ private school, and I can tell you the education my daughter is getting here is much, MUCH better than we were getting there. We turned down several other private school options to come here as well. I was sold by the amazing principal, Jessica Murray, and after attending several school meetings by invitation, I was very impressed by the school's organization, as well as the kindness of the staff and other students. The academics are old school and solid--the curriculum is transparent so you know what your child is learning and how your kid is doing. They have ipads and Macs for each kid in the classroom, but homework includes lots of good old fashioned pen to paper (which is a plus to me). We are not Catholic--actually we are Jewish--and we have been welcomed and included. There is religious education, but honestly, this is the crazy Bay Area, and I don't mind other adults sharing with my kid that it's important to be kind and make your community a better place. The religious focus is mostly community and social-justice oriented, and my child is never made to feel like an outsider. The kids are really, genuinely nice, though many of them are busy, so it can be hard to get playdates and one-on-one time. My daughter found a group and was included right away, which was a great sign to me. There are lots of electives, including broadcasting, art, music, and genius hour. Google is coming to visit the school, and several of the teachers have done continuing education with Google. In short, for 1/3 the price, I feel like I'm getting 2 times the education we were getting before. My daughter's former school left her with some basic skill deficits, as there were some pretty big holes in their curriculum, which was more go-with-the-flow--and that led to $$$$ in tutoring to get her ready for SPN. St. Joe's is the feeder high school for SPN (which is where my other kid ended up after graduating from the $$$ private school--and is another great school). SPN is a great place if you love strong education, structure, and a close-knit community. We love it and are glad we found this hidden gem.

This school is fine for general ed children who are very obedient. If your child is challenged wth special needs, the staff is ill equipt to support anything like this. Class was chaotic and teachers had a hard time structuring class and redirecting. Often would just give up and start calling the principal in to handle the situation.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Teachers not staffed well to handle large class sizes or children with special needs. Very punitive regardless of what particular needs your child may have.

Saint Philip Neri School is a very welcoming community with dedicated teachers and a strong commitment to educating the whole child. SPN is an active community with parents and families taking part in events like a family Ice Cream Social, Auction & Crab Feed, Fun Fair, as well as Winter and Spring Concerts. Principal Jessica Murray has a wonderful combination of business and scholastic experience and brings a wonderful attitude and great skill to leading our school. We have been with the school for 5 years and could not think of a better fit for our family and our children's needs for success.

This is our third year at SPN with our daughter in second grade. What I really like is how the school goes beyond academics and puts a lot of focus into development. In addition to the new Transitional Kindergarten program, the K-8 students and parents are told upfront about the Student Learning Expectations (SLE's) - to be respectful, responsible, reverent and a life-long learner. There are school year themes, like Goals which get repeated and intertwined throughout the year. Sports start early in the private schools so not only is it nice to get the Kindergarteners out four times a week for Cross Country in the Fall and Track in the Spring, but it's is a great way to connect with other parents. The teacher ratio is about 15:1 which we really like in addition to a lot of modern technology, a wide array of extra curriculars like Spanish, Art, Music, Broadcasting, Debate, just to name a few. And the parents, let me tell you about the parents. I've never been around so many parents that are so generous with their time and talent. Because so many parents help out, it keeps the tuition low and the fun up. We couldn't be happier at SPN.

We are relatively new to the school entering our 3rd year, are not members of the parish or even Catholic and have found a very welcoming community of parents, teachers and administrators. No school is perfect but SPN is doing all the right things. Our new principal who is starting her 2nd academic year with us is absolutely excellent and has been very proactive and bringing significant energy and renewal to the school. Our tuition is one of the lowest in the Oakland Diocese, due in part to the active parent community volunteering, our test scores are some of the highest, SPN sent several students to the countywide science fair last year and they did very well a few receiving top honors. So if a small welcoming open minded school community, with parents, teachers and administrators who really care about the kids and their success sounds right for your family, then do give SPN a look it may just be the perfect fit for your family!

Last modified St. Philip Neri Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8