No rating

Rising Star Montessori School

Private | K-5 | 50 students

Our school is best known for our Montessori Curriculum.

Living in Alameda

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $470,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Posted September 9, 2014

This school really does cater to only one personality type - children who are introverted and already mollified. Our kid is extremely bright and social, and loves to engage and talk a lot, which he will do if he's not being intellectually stimulated enough. He loses interest when he's in the young age group, but does well with older kids and with more challenging materials. However, the teachers tend to be self-righteous and make comments about how he's not conforming to his own age group, instead of being cognizant of how each child is unique and age differently. This is a for-profit institution, and their goal seems to be herd kids with cookie-cutter traits and go home instead of putting in the extra effort to help every child succeed. Luckily, we found a more inclusive school that teaches to each kid's ability, instead of conforming them to a certain level and personality type.

Posted March 25, 2014

My daughter attended the Cottage for preschool/preK. We kept her there for about 2 years because the program, teachers, and facility were all fine. My beef is with the owner's approach to parent involvement. This is a privately-owned for-profit business but they fool most of the parents into believing that it's a non-profit. All families are required to work for 20 hours per year. This means that virtually ALL site maintenance is free labor from parents. When we were there they had a "parent-teacher-school" organization that constantly pressured parents to fund-raise for the school. We received 10-20 pages per week of assorted notices - mostly about fundraising or volunteering. I caused a firestorm at one of the meetings when I began to question who controlled the funds raised (the school) and whether it was appropriate to fundraise for a non-profit. Some parents were offended that I would even ask questions, but others were grateful I was questioning what was going on. I'm not saying anything was illegal. Just manipulative and greedy.

Posted December 9, 2013

My daughter has been going to Rising Star since she was 2.5 years old. She has learned so much at Rising Star both academically and socially. I feel very safe with her there and love the teachers. I wish the upper classes (1-5) were bigger - we'd consider keeping her there up to fifth grade if the school was slightly larger!

Posted September 20, 2012

My daughter started Rising Star about a month ago and I am very pleased with her progress. The staff is fabulous. I am surprised by the negative reviews. The school structure, manner of disciplining students, and request for parent involvement are all things every school should consider. My daughter feels like she is accomplishing great things everyday. She is writing her name (she is 3.5 yo), making friends, being respectful, and listening better. Rising Star is not a daycare it's a real school that provides a learning environment based on supervised play and interaction. I'm so glad I found Rising Star and recommend this school to anyone looking for a school that believes in community, child growth, parent involvement, and educational achievement. My husband and I both work more than 40 hours a week and have found the staff extremely accommodating with parent work hours. The extended care program fits our schedules and isn't too pricey. Rising Star (High Street campus) gets 5 stars all the way!

Posted January 19, 2012

My two children have been with Rising Star for the past 2.5 years. We chose the school not only because the Montessori teaching method sets in place the fundamentals of a great education, but also since our whole family was warmly received by the teachers and staff. It is a wonderful environment, and comforting that our kids know all of the teachers, and the teachers, in turn, know both our children with or without having taught in their classrooms. We are saddened to hear that some parents have not had the same outstanding experience we found at Rising Star. However, we would highly recommend the school (both Cottage Campus and High Street) to anyone looking for an excellent academic program with great and caring teachers from Pre-K on up to 5th grade.

Posted November 28, 2011

Our experience at Rising Star has been very frustrating. We have found it be a very strict demanding environment that is inflexible and extremely self-righteous in its approach. It generally caters to one personality type (pliable, soft spoken and easy going). If your child is in the least bit gregarious, mischievious or intelligently non-compliant, they will struggle to fit in. They are unrelenting in their approach to get the child to conform to "normal" behavior. Our normally happy intelligent outgoing child has been consistently frustrated and shown little improvement in three months. It has also been crushing on her self-esteem. This school is definitely not for all personalities types! Beware!

Posted February 27, 2011

Rising Star Montessori is a fabulous school. I have been thoroughly pleased with their program. Overall, its been an extremely positive experience for my daughter, as I have seen her flourish academically and her self confidence grow. The staff is absolutely wonderful , and they genuinely care about the children success.

Posted January 19, 2011

I rarely take the time to write reviews online but after reading the last very negative and somewhat vague review, I decided I would offer a different perspective. My daughter has been enrolled at Rising Star for 2 years now and it has been a very positive experience. I have found there is a wonderful community of parents and teachers who genuinely care about all of the children. The kids get along very well, which I believe is a sign of both quality educators and dedicated parenting. I would not rush to dismiss Rising Star as a very good choice of schools in our little island city.

Posted September 2, 2008

Rising Star is a fine little school. My daughter's teachers have been consistently kind, while still managing to educate her. The student interactions are typically gentle, and there is a great deal of (somewhat mandatory) parental involvement that translates into murals on the playground, frequent celebrations, and reading times in the classroom. Great library, good extras like Spanish, Chinese, and usic.

Posted May 26, 2007

Rising Star Montessori is a wonderful little school. My daughter has learned so much there it is unbelievable. The teachers are caring and professional. Our teacher, Ms Kim is an absolute gem. She teaches pre K and Kindergarten. She is everything you want in a teacher. I love and respect this school. I am a public school teacher myself, and I am so impressed with the Montessori system I am considering taking some courses for my own professional development. The extracurricular activities there are amazing. They have a music and piano teacher who comes in. They have dance classes. There are shows, and gala's put on for parents, as well as schoolwide picnics. You get a conference 3 times a year with your child's teacher. Wonderful.

Posted March 20, 2007

This school has been a great disappointment. We wanted a warm, nurturing environment for our children and found the opposite.

Posted January 8, 2005

This is a very structure school and requires a great deal of parent involvement (20 hours parent work hours per year or pay $200). My son who is 3 years old just started in their preschool program. The teachers' high expectation at times seem ridiculus. For example, they expect a 3 y.o. to sit still at circle time. The overall program is okay. I expect to teachers to do more for the money and time in put in.

Posted August 17, 2004

Rising Star is a great school. The environment is warm and inviting and the teachers are excited about teaching and they make learning fun. My son has completed the pre-school and Jr. Kindergarden classes and is very excited aboout starting kindergarden this fall. He has already started reading and is a whiz at adding single digits. He is learning spanish, science, plant and animal life, geometrical shapes and lots more. When the staff is presented with a problem, the first thing they do is try to figure out how they can adjust to meet the child's needs. I can't be more satisfied with the education and nurturing my son is receiving!

Posted August 14, 2003

Rising Star is excellent at giving children as much learning as their minds will absorb. Classes include subjects such as music, art and speech that other schools have abandoned, and the kids are at least a full grade ahead of public school students of the same age in reading and writing, and far ahead in math and science. Taxpayers are paying more per student for the mediocrity of public schooling than parents are paying for the excellent education at Rising Star. They also have an excellent after-school curriculum for working parents.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Arabic languages
Chinese (Cantonese)
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Ann Gavey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
  • NAEYC

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Montessori
  • Multi-aged
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Drawing / sketching
  • Painting
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Homework help/study buddy club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

8 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year