Ocean View Elementary School 3

Posted January 07, 2014
Coming from the East Coast I'm not impressed with this school/district given the HYPE about Albany schools. This is my opinion and experience so far: My child has spent 4th and now 5th grade at Ocean View. Emphasis on math over reading. That's fine I guess because my child is a big reader. Science education is good but science teacher is rigid - my child now says "i hate science!" just because of the teacher. Music education is okay because of new music teachers this year. Communication is good. The principal is good but she really could use more help. My concern since the beginning is security. They do have "Doug" who's the best crossing guard ever(!) but he's only one person. Everything is wide open, no security guard, unsupervised drop off and pick up. I see young children walking home alone (like, 3rd graders) and 4th and 5th graders are just released alone at the end of the school day. I don't feel this is safe but that's me being from a big city. Overall - I wouldn't move here for this school. Maybe Cornell and Marin are better. We were placed at Ocean View which is the largest school because the system is overcrowded. I don't know if we'll stay for middle school.

Posted November 05, 2013
A very fun and diverse community. Great teachers and staff dedicated to student success as well as a very active and supportive PTA.

Ocean View Elementary School 4

Posted October 26, 2013
Ocean View Elementary School is a vibrant place where diversity is the norm. There are families from all over the world in this community, as adjacent to the school is housing for graduate students at UC Berkeley. Families from this housing of course value education. My son has met kids from Iran, Equador, Israel, China, Korea .and on and on. Of course the academic learning is also important, and sometimes that is frustrating due to increased class size, but that is the case with most public schools in California. All in all Ocean View is a very special place and we are happy to be there.

Ocean View Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
I have third grade twins who have been in separate classes since they started at Ocean View in first grade. After two full years (and now into our third) and getting to know six teachers, I have to say we have had a wonderful experience. I've been so impressed by the classroom teachers' skills and experience, as well as the quality of many of the specialized teachers and the other staff. And I think we have an exceptional principal -- calm, caring, dedicated, and smart -- a true leader. The school is diverse in all respects, is a fantastic community, and has an active PTA. Like many public schools in California it has its challenges (aging physical plant, larger than desired class sizes, not enough funding for art, music, etc.), but it has been great for us.

Posted October 23, 2013
My son started kindergarten at Ocean View this year. We have an older child that attended the top ranked school in Oakland a few years back and honestly I wasn't looking forward to returning to the politics and clicks of elementary school parents. I'm thrilled to say that I've experienced none of this at Ocean View. The teachers are wonderful and the parent community is truly there to help the kids learn (rather than prove something about themselves) - I highly recommend OceanView to anyone in the area.

Posted October 22, 2013
Ocean View was our top choice school when we moved from Colorado to California. We wanted to live in Berkeley, but found that the Albany Unified School District was a better choice for our kids. When our son was surpassing all his grade level standards, the principal at Ocean View worked with us to find a way to meet his accelerated educational needs. We love Ocean View and its teachers and plan on sending our younger two children there when they are ready for school.

Posted October 22, 2013
Ocean View School is part of the Albany Unified School District, located in Albany, CA. I have had two children go through Ocean View and we love it! The faculty and staff are both dedicated and talented. The parent population is highly educated and truly value learning. This is evident when you see how hard these students work!

Posted October 22, 2013
OV is a great diversified school with teachers who care! Commuting became easier for pedestrians and bikers as there are new roads recently built.

Posted October 22, 2013
We have been very impressed with the teachers at OV and their dedication and attentiveness to their students. The student population literally comes from all over the world. Children learn about and experience other cultures on a daily basis and this, in of itself, is a valuable learning opportunity!

Posted October 22, 2013
We love the openness and friendliness of the community at this school. The principal, Terry Georgeson, is personable and welcoming. The surrounding neighborhoods are reknowned for friendliness, and the UC Berkeley University Village adjacent to the school means we have wonderful families from all over the world volunteering to make a great school for their children. Our school reflects the interlocking circles of communities that make up Albany, and the bright optimism and passion for education that radiates from world scholars. Our daughter struggled with reading until she came here and was recognized and helped by the Reading Specialists. Now she tests in the highest levels. Most importantly, the school has a positive environment for learning and friendship.

Ocean View Elementary School
1000 Jackson Street, Albany, CA  94706
Last modified Ocean View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean View Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top