Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

The school has introduced CPM as Math curriculum this year. The level of material covered is ridiculous, for first few months this year 7th grade students had to prove 2+2=4, writing essays about it. Although classwork and homework are very easy, boring, and repetitive, the tests are much harder and very often the questions in tests aren't covered by homework/classwork. Students are expected to write essays explaining even most trivial solutions. Very minimal direct teacher instruction in Math. Students are expected to drive to solutions themselves in preassigned groups of 4. 100% of the time it's group work, which means student success is tightly coupled with ability of his/her peers in a group, and their interest in learning Math/cooperating with peers. I strongly encourage to research about CPM curriculum before choosing this school. It works for some but not the others. CPM curriculum has been adopted by AHS as well this year. Sadly except for Math curriculum all the other aspects of school are great. I wish they held Math instruction to their own high standards too.

As a first AMS parent, I expected greatness from the school based on high API scores, community school support, and high rating, but instead became disappointed. The campus is clean and nice but for 6th grade in my experience there was a great lack of projects and homework. My child did more homework in elementary school. My child was finished in literally 15 minutes. In history, 90% of the time movies were shown for the whole period, the science teacher had a rolling cart of textbooks and no science classroom, so the students basically had no hands on science, and there was a drug overdose incident with several students on campus where kids had to go to the hospital. I still feel greatly disappointed in AMS. There also is a fair amount of teasing and bullying. I'm not sure what the hype is about this school. I'm not impressed. I'm hoping for a better year for my child this year.

My school is a very friendly environment and there is never a shortage of fun people to be around. However, the schools cafeteria food is disturbing and I would suggest bringing a home lunch as often as possible. Not to scare anybody, but the school does have an annual fire lit in one of the boy's bathrooms by morons. This school offers great classes and even better teachers. P.S. - If you are just coming to 6th grade cross your fingers and hope you get Ms. Peairs.

AMS is an amazing educational community. The teachers have a profound understanding of the complexity of the middle school mind and spirit and teach in a way that celebrates that. My daughter is an eighth grader. She is given assignments that she finds challenging and engaging. Mr. Lew (math) is excellent. My daughter had some difficult on a test early in the year. She was discouraged, but set up an appointment to ask him for advice. He made time to speak with her and gave her a VERY simple suggestion for something she could do everyday to help her do better. She followed his advice and aced the next test and felt very proud of that. Almost every day she is bursting to tell me about the latest science experiment . Her English & History teacher (Ms. Uyeda) has them thinking about how history is related to their lives and has them looking at assumptions about ethnicity in a way that is humorous but powerful. Ms. Stocker (choir) is inspirational and the sports program is top notch. Other teachers we adore are Mr. Peters, Mr. Ritchie, Ms. Anderson. We moved, literally 10,000 miles to be in the Albany schools (seriously), and I cannot imagine a better school for my daughter.

My child is returning to AMS after being away for one year, the re-entry was without a hitch and despite the fact that she had 80 new friends names to memorize, she is happy as a clam. This school has lots of choices for extra curricular activities. The music program is great, the athletics are rich with choices. Indeed so many choices it is really hard for our child.... but this is all good. The neighborhood is very save, most of the children seem to walk home, an indication of how great the Albany neighborhood is. We are do pleased to come back and be a part of this community again.

I would have put zero stars if i was allowed to. I am a student currently attending this middle school, and I must say, I was very disappointed. I found that the teachers provided an overall uneducational program, and the students seemed equally lazy to contribute. The basic rules every school has were not enforced at this particular school, such as dress code and language. I was often bored during class and spent my time doodling during class, despite my eager wish to expand my knowledge. I wouldn't recommend this school to any friends or family, unless they wish to practise doodling.

THIS SCHOOL ROCKS!! 1. KIDS ARE POLITE. 2. NUTRIOUS LUNCHS 3. BATHROOMS ARE SUPER CLEAN 4. THE TEACHERS ARE NICE. 5. THE PRICIPAL CARES. 6. VERY SMART KIDS

Albany Middle School failed my expectations and was a disappointment, as a result, my child will not be continuing in the Albany School District. Unfortunately, some of the negative things I'd heard about Albany Middle School from parents whose children attended Albany schools since elementary school, and from an interim administer, were true. There is a lot of drama, not related to academics going on within the school, which is a determent to learning. The administrators seem to be at a loss as to how to handle various situations. The grading scale is tough. A child can miss a day of school, and their grade for the class will be reflected as a "F" because of the missing classwork for that day. If anyone I knew said they were considering enrolling their child in Albany Middle School, I'd advise them against it, and to look elsewhere. Albany Middle School does not live up to its reputation. Very disappointed with this school.

Albany Middle School feels safe, organized, and well run. Thanks to a dedicated community, many of the extras (sports, music, clubs, etc...) are available, despite the economic crisis.

AMS is a great school. The teachers are very kind, and try to make you feel welcome. If there were more sports for girls, that would be good, but other than that, its great! I'm very pleased with lunchtime, because the food is great and the lunch shelter is great. AMS is awesome.

Last modified Albany Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.