No rating

Oneonta Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 210 students

Excellence in Education

Living in Alhambra

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $395,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,430.

Posted January 1, 2011

I was not impressed with the teachers' knowledge of child development or educational level, which was apparent from their use of poor grammar. I also thought they made unhealthy choices for snacks and that the candy at holidays was excessive. One "cooking lesson" consisted of ice cream rolled in coconut flakes. My highly verbal and extroverted child became very quiet and introverted at this school. We moved her to a school with a lower student teacher ratio and she has thrived.

Posted June 14, 2010

My Daughter is in pre-school and started attending Oneonta last year. This school is Excellent .I am very pleased with the school as well as with my daughters growth and development while attending , Her progress in this past year was remarkable. The teachers are very caring and patient with the children . The teachers as well as the administrators have always been helpful in answering any question or concerns I've had . I am definitely looking forward to my daughters next upcoming year at Oneonta.

Posted June 10, 2010

My child is currently in second grade at Oneonta, and I cannot say enough positive things about this school. The office administrators are always helpful and friendly, teachers and aides are wonderful and caring, and the facility itself it well kept. I feel welcomed every morning and afternoon when I drop off and pick up my child. I plan to keep my child in the school until the 6th grade, too bad they don't have a middle school and high school. I highly recommend this school.

Posted June 8, 2010

Both my children attended Oneonta Montessori since pre-school and have graduated from the sixth grade. I can say that Oneonta Montessori is a school that encourages the parents to be involved in their child's curriculum and for some parents that can prove to be something they are not interested in doing. Some parents feel that if they pay for a private school, they shouldn't have to do anything to help their child to learn. From my experience, if a parent is involved, the teachers, the staff and the administrators at Oneonta Montessori welcome the parents help and suggestions. I have gone to other schools and I have observed the children at other schools and I have realized that the children from Oneonta Montessori are more compassionate, understanding, and accepting than most other chidlren, including those children that attend religious schools.

Posted May 4, 2010

The front desk administrators are very aloof to the point of being cold. I don't bother them often but when i interacted with them, it's usually when i writing a tuition check, I got a sense that they were not interested. The teachers in my child's class is not genuine. I was appalled by their writing and spelling skills on the daily report, which by the way, I only get once a week if at all. I guess it's preschool and the quality of teacher is not important. The attitude of one particular teacher who is not in my child's class (thank goodness) is downright uninterested and mean. I respect the opinions of those parents who wrote raving reviews of the school, but I have yet to experience those postive experiences.

Posted March 15, 2010

My son has been a student at Oneonta for three years, and has excelled in every subject. The teachers are wonderful and have great knowledge.

Posted October 25, 2009

My daughter is in her 7th year at Oneonta. The teachers are encouraging. The materials are challenging. She is definately testing at a higher level than other children of California. I love the leadership skills that she has developed while attending. She is good in all subjects and is strong in English. I wish the school had a PTA, but otherwise, I would recommend the school as a good institution. To those challening the Pre-school, the education and montessori jobs resulted in a good understanding of materials and enhanced coordination. My child had nothing but a positive experience.

Posted September 28, 2009

Is Oneonta perfect? Of course not. But for letting our child flower and develop at her own pace, it s been a great 6 years. Academically they can be advanced-our kids statement at age 7 to my uncle that my hypothesis about that is about knocked him off his chair! She constantly amazes my mom and coworkers-in a state high school for the gifted! But more importantly they stress citizenship, multiculturalism, and getting along. I once asked who are the mean kids? -she couldn t think of any!!! That alone is worth the tuition. Homework is weekly and not excessive (unless left to the last minute). Students SHOULD perform above grade level since education in America is far below the ability which young minds have for absorption. Hey, there s no reason they can t be making doing presentations and talent shows from pre-school, it s great training for life, and they do fine.

Posted September 3, 2009

i dislike this schoolo very much. My child is much more advanced than their program. It is very unorganized and the teachers tend to pick favorites.

Posted May 28, 2009

I also have 2 children attending Oneonta Montessori and I continue to be very pleased with the teacher/child interaction expressed by this school. My children are learning in leaps and bounds in what i find to be a positive and warm environment. My family is currently experiencing a rough economic patch; and I was exteremly touched by the sensitivity and compassion extended by the School Director and Administrative staff in light of our situation. It feels like a family as you walk the halls and both teachers and happy children greet you and eachother. Coming from a disasterous previous school I feel blessed my children are able to to continue their academia as well as their positive social enrichment here at Oneonta- Go Oneonta!

Posted September 11, 2008

I read the negative comments and I wonder if they are talking about this school as they appear to be way off base. My son has been attending this school for a little over a year and we are very happy. The administration and all of the teachers are very friendly and attentive to our needs. As we are very involved and speak to many parents, we have heard concerns from few parents but their issues appear to be insignificant in my opinion. I wonder if they would be happy with any school their child attends.

Posted February 20, 2008

Very dissapointed in this school. Administration is horrible they dont listen to your concerns nor do they care about students well being. Theyre concerns are running a good business not a a good school. Dissaopointed with my childs regressions and overall negative experience with school.

Posted November 20, 2007

I have 2 children who currently attend Oneonta. I am extremely pleased with the care and service given to my children as well as to us parents. My family went through a rough period and I was very touched by the warmth and generosity extended to us by the staff and the director. I highly recommend Oneonta. The happy atmosphere and the staff and child relationship is outstanding. Keep it up Oneonta!

Posted November 20, 2007

I think Oneonta is a great school, I have recommended it over and over again. The staff is friendly and caring. The curriculum is challenging and individualized, there is definately no child left behind. Field trips have always been a highlight for my children especially in the summer! As a parent I am most impressed by the personal relationships nurtured at the school. The Director has an open door policy and demonstrates an openess to change if it is in the best interest of the children. I have always been able to speak to her regarding my children as well as ideas that I thought might make a difference. There were times when I thought my children were being challenged beyond their ability only to be surprised by their enthusiasm and pride as they achieved the goals that they themselves had a part in making!

Posted November 20, 2007

I am very annoyed by the negative reviews. My children have been attending Oneonta for the past 6 years and my husband and I are extremely happy with the school. My children started in the preschool classrooms and are now in the elementary grades. They do get homework, however, it is not due until the following week thereby allowing our children to particpate in extracurricular activities after school and not be pressured to turn in daily homework. My children use their time wisely; alloting days and times they do not have activities to complete it. Thanks for this schedule. The director has always listened to our concerns, sometimes even changing school policy if she felt it would make a difference. One of the main reasons we chose Oneonta is because of the ethnic diversity. I suggest new parents take a tour!

Posted October 30, 2007

My child has been attending this school for about four years now and enjoys it very much. It challenges her and the children are taught to respect one another. As for parent-teacher conferences, I've never had a teacher not show up.

Posted October 24, 2007

There is no parent/teachers/administration involvement. The Administration ignores parents suggestions. The assistant principal is rude. I wouldn't recommend this school at all. Some teachers are very nice and sweet with the kids others are there to earn a paycheck. The field trip to Bolsa Chica Beach is not appropriate for Pre-K children. The eat their lunches under the sun and some teacheers/TA provide assistance to the children in opening their lunches or using the child's towel to sit on other teachers/TA dont' care about the children. The children don't have enough liquids during field trips as the school doesn't allow children to bring cash or water bottles. Some lucky children have some teachers/parents use their own money to buy the kids drinks. The school provides unhealthy snacks, such as Ritz crackers and fruit punch.

Posted August 17, 2007

Very unhappy with the experience..staff members are not all friendly. The woman who gave us a tour of the school and takes the money had a very dry personality and seemed to care more about the payment than anything else. We took our daughter for her first day and the supervision was awful! Two women who were supposed to be supervising, were more interested in catching up on gossip. We took our daughter immediately out and didn't get our deposit. But the way we see it, it was money well spent.

Posted July 6, 2007

We're not very happy with the pre-school experience. Her teacher was not encouraging and her development actually went backwards. (We had sent her to a different school further away before, so could compare). Teachers did not show up for P/T conferences, and the administration did not address our needs to help our daughter catch up to prepare for kindergarten. Overall, just over priced babysitters.

Posted April 4, 2007

This school is truly not a Montessori school. If your child has special issues or even just a childhood problem, the staff is not equipped to handle. However, the teachers are generally very caring and the students do receive a balanced education. There are many worksheets provided which is not instruction instead it is work passed out. If your child can handle this type of work and you as a parent are willing to help with the work, they will probably do ok at this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Fiona Emersley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (626) 284-5814

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Theory
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
Options (State Funding)

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
South Pasadena school district