No rating

Oneonta Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 210 students

Excellence in Education

Living in Alhambra

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $395,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,430.

Posted June 2, 2014

Oneonta is a great school. My children have been going there for the past three years. It truly is like dropping them off with family. All of the teachers are very friendly and they will not hesitate to give feedback and talk to you about your child's specific needs. My older child is in Miss Courtney's kindergarten classroom and has come so far from where she started. Miss Courtney has made every effort to answer all of my e-mails promptly, answer any questions I have had throughout the school year, and has helped my child gain independence while challenging her to do the work we all know she is capable of doing. I would most definitely recommend this school.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love this school. There are so many great things to say about this school and not enough space to write it. The teachers are very caring and helpful. If you have any questions the staff is always there help. The children are very caring and nice. I love that all the children are taught to be independent and excel in every way. This is a great place for all kids to attend. Oneonta Montessori Rocks!

Posted June 14, 2013

The 1st thing I want to say is I seriously doubt about those 4/5 star reviews. As a parent here for a year, I saw none of the good things mentioned. Regarding teachers, there're few that are qualified. Their 12/1 ratio is deceiving; except for the main teachers who know what they are doing, the rest acts as babysitters. The main teachers are not friendly, even arrogant. Regarding safety, this school is even worse than public schools. They don't notify parents when theres a lockdown, not during, not after. In the playground (it's pathetic btw), children are barely monitored. One time while waiting in the parking lot, I observed a kid push another one off a swing. The kid on the swing refused to stop while this other kid kept throwing sand at her and yelling at her. Finally, this other kid grabbed the swing and pushed her out of the swing. This kid cried and eventually walked away. This whole thing lasted for a good 4 minutes and no one came to intervene. Regarding tuition, it's expensive given the many days they take off and many half days they have. The only strength is its curriculum. Although, its beneficial only to smart kids. For slower kids, they don't get extra help.

Posted March 15, 2013

Our child began at the school when she was two years old. Now, at 3 1/2 years old, she has blossomed in every way of her development. She loves school at Oneonta. She has made lovely friends, her teachers are excellent, the learning is always fun. She sings songs, counts, knows her letters, and has a great time every day on the playground. The staff has also been really supportive in helping the process of toilet training. The Director of the school is always open to Parents' comments about safety and enrichment. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants a happy, intellectually stimulated child!

Posted February 12, 2013

I have been teaching in an elementary school for twenty years. Besides the obvious, a great education, what I look for in a school is, WILL MY CHILD BE SAFE? Kids will be kids, horseplay, pushing, teasing, etc. They wouldn t be kids if they didn t rascal around every now and then. Well, there was a situation when my child felt bullied by another child. I spoke to a teacher in the morning and before the day ended, the problem had been addressed and a possible solution already enforced .DONE! The teachers and Miss Fiona worked together and TOOK CARE OF BUSINESS! Oneonta for SAFETY .Yes! Oneonta for a great education, well they just had an impressive Science Fair, where 100% of students participated presenting the coolest experiments in small intimate groups with parents, Oneonta for A GREAT EDUCATION .YES! With out any reservation, I would recommend this school to all parents as a GEM! It s a wonderful community of beautiful young inquisitive minds and parents that communicate for the better of our children. To the Teachers, especially Ms Noemy and The Awesome Leadership at Oneonta Montessori, Miss Virginia, Ms Audrey, and Ms Fiona, THANK YOU! Thank You Oneonta, You Rock!

Posted January 25, 2013

I have a 4 year old attending this school and he loves it. This is my first time Experiencing the Montessori curriculum. I am amazed of how much my child has learned over the past 2 years he has attended this school. The staff is friendly, warm and welcoming. The class room environment is welcoming for the children to be engaged in their learning. This is an awesome school, recommended to any parent who is focused on exceled education.

Posted January 10, 2013

Three of my grandchildren have attended Oneonta Montessori Preschool in Alhambra. The youngest is now in kinder. This school does an excellent job in preparing a child for a successful future. The teachers are very caring and experienced in their teaching, offering children the proper guidance and tools they need to be a success. These children are very self-assured and often amaze me as to the way that they can express themselves. They have an excellent vocabulary! Sometimes I feel as if I'm talking to a tiny adult as my granddaughter expresses herself so well. The school has various activities, field trips...hands on activities to satisfy their curiosity about many things in life. I was really impressed that my little five year old granddaughter came home on our recent election day, happy and exited saying "Guess what gramma! All of us voted today! And guess who won?! Obama did!!!" She always talks with such enthusiasm whenever they do something special. We are always informed as to her progress, and if we have any questions, they are satisfactorily answered. I cannot begin to say what a wise choice we have made in the choosing of this excellent school. Amazing! <3

Posted January 8, 2013

All three of my boys attend the Oneonta Montessori preschool. We are very impressed with the school. The teachers demonstrate a strong commitment to child growth and development. The atmosphere encourages the children to engage in their learning activities. I appreciate the special events the school involves our children in, such as raising funds for the victims of the hurricane, special packages for our men/woman of the military and holiday toy drives. The children are involved in a process of giving and are exposed to current events in an age appropriate manner. I absolutely feel the teachers genuinely care about our boys and are looking out for their best interest. They keep us updated on their performance and behavior by providing weekly notes. Also, the administrative staff is caring and available via e-mail and phone when needed. If you are looking for a nurturing, fun environment for your child/children I would highly recommend this school.

Posted June 1, 2012

Extremely warm teachers. Highly professional director. My 3 kids love it there. The school allows you to do things you wouldn't normally get to do in public schools such as give speeches/presentations, perform skits/talent shows, and participate in education field trips and community service.

Posted March 26, 2012

Oneonta Montessori School is a great place for strong character development, solid academic program, and a nurturing environment. The principal and staff are amazingly dedicated, and they go above and beyond on daily basis. My 9 years old son is currently attending at Oneonta Montessori School, and he loves it. He is very proud to say I have attended Oneonta Montessori School since I was 3 years old .

Posted May 16, 2011

Oneonta Pre-kindergarten is the GOLD standard for all school experiences. I have been an educator for over 20 years. I have taught in both private and public schools from 4-year old kindergarten through 6th grade, so when I looked for a pre-kindergarten for my own children, I knew what a child-centered, research-based, caring and academically strong program should look like! After visiting over 15 schools in the area, my family chose Oneonta Montessori School, and I am so happy we did. I respectfully thank Ms. Audrey, Ms. Fiona, and all the other wonderful Oneonta staff who gave my children such a strong foundation, both academically and socially.

Posted April 22, 2011

My son has attended Oneonta for two years. Choosing a preschool was a very difficult decision for us but we are very happy we decided on Oneonta. As we prepared for kindergarten next year we are proud to say that my son was accepted into all 3 private schools he applied for. He also did extremely well on the ILS exam required by most private schools in Pasadena including Poly and Chandler. My son looks forward to going to school everyday. I feel my son has a strong academic foundation, which I attribute to the caring staff at Oneonta. The staff welcomes him everyday with a warm smile and positive attitude. He has a love of learning and is more than happy to share with me everything he has learned in school. The staff has always been very professional, caring, and supportive. They keep in contact with us by writing personal daily behavior notes. The field trips are also very appropriate for preschool children and parents have opportunities to participate and become involved. We loved walking to the library, going to the fire station, etc. This is a great school, one of the best in the area.

Posted March 18, 2011

The first aspect one notices is the loving atmosphere. The school, open to tours almost any time, presents itself as a nurturing environment that only facilitates proper learning. The teachers on any given day can be seen helping the kids nap via lullabies, back pats and gentle talk. Having the nurturing aspect down, one should not make a mistake regarding this school: This is not day care. Rather, it is a high achieving academic school. The preschool children learn, among other things: spelling, writing, age appropriate math, solar system, emancipation proclamation (yes, it is true), book reports and the list goes on Do not take my word or it, please, and merely look up their scores and compare to both state averages and local averages-you will be surprised. I recommend this school whole-heartedly. The foundation given to the kids will serve them well regardless of where one attends. Please keep in mind that this campus serves students to grade 6 so if you want your children to get out of the sometimes contentious arena of certain public schools or want a better foundation for your children, please view this school you will not be disappointed.

Posted March 12, 2011

My daughter is in pre-school and has just completed her first year at Oneonta Montessori. She has progressed very well and she loves her school! It s evident that the children are involved with many activities that help build vocabulary, math and everyday life skills. The teachers work really well with the children and in a very caring way. They are also very helpful with the parents. I would recommend this school to any parent who is looking for a great school for their child.

Posted March 8, 2011

My son who is 4 years old really surprised me 2 weekend ago. Our typical Saturday morning starts off at the library when we listen to a childrens story and then proceed to pick out 2 books to take home. Whenit was time to pick out the books my son announced that he wanted to pick out a book about segregation.I was taken aback and looked genuinely surprised, then he went on to tell me the story of Rosa Parks. When we got to school the following Monday I asked the teacher how my son knew the word "segregation" and she went on to explain that February was Black History Month and that she had read the story about Rosa Parks and had many a discussion about it. This is the reason my son is at Oneonta.I just love the learning that goes on . Thank you Oneonta.

Posted February 22, 2011

My son has been at the preschool at Oneonta since September and is thriving. He enjoys all of the Montessori materials and is learning a lot about different cultures. I am looking forward to his next year at Oneonta.

Posted February 22, 2011

My daughter is currently in 2nd grade, and my son will be starting Pre-K in September. I am extremely happy with the challenging academics as well as everything else about the school, including the teachers and staff. My daughter is an A+ student, and I have her excellent teachers to thank (as well as us parents). I would highly recommend it to all my friends and family. I'm hoping my sister enrolls her daughter, my niece, here as well next year. Great job, Oneonta!

Posted February 22, 2011

Both of my children have attended Oneonta Montessori School for preschool. As a teacher of 18 years, i can conscientiously say that OMS has high standards and rigorous expectations for their students. They are patient with all students and nurture them to thrive emotionally, socially, and academically. I feel safe and at peace knowing my 2 year-old daughter is there having fun and learning. Contrary to another review, my daughter seems to always have healthy, nutritious snacks.

Posted February 22, 2011

I have nothing but good things to say about Oneonta and its teachers. I love that the school follows the Montessori philosophy along with the added bonus of having been accredited by NAEYC. My son has been in the preschool class since September of 2010. The teachers are very knowledgeable about what is best for my son's development. They were also an excellent help when it came to potty training. I would definitely recommend this school, despite what some of the other parents have posted on this site.

Posted February 22, 2011

Both my children attend Oneonta & have blossomed into independent, A+ students. As a teacher myself, I'm amazed at the activities and projects which are meaningful & sensorial based, including the icecream & coconut flakes cookery project. It was meant to allow kids to feel the coldness of snow (as winter was the weekly theme) by rolling icecream in their hands & making a snow man. Kudos to the teachers for thinking out of the box. Keep up the great work!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Fiona Emersley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (626) 284-5814

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Theory
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
Options (State Funding)

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
South Pasadena school district