Alhambra, CA

Garfield Elementary School 4

Posted October 01, 2013
Going good so far my two kids attend Garfield and I am a Parent volunteer. We moved from LA to here for a better school and environment for the kids. And I am trying to make a difference also. a little high on the fingerprint fees but worth it. my ratings for teacher quality is at 4stars since we are new, parent involvement is at 4 do to the fees so low turn out BUT we need more parents. and Principal leadership is at a 5 currently for her approachability.

Posted September 15, 2013
A yard duty by the name of Mercy Pope has been at Garfield for far too long. She is a bully to the students and has been warned on several occasions by all of the past principles that have been there. In the mornings when she's too busy talking to some of the parents, we've heard her bad mouth her co-workers, students, and other parents. Parents including myself have parked or walked by to watch her work and she is no where to be found or she is way too busy sitting down chatting with other employees and has no time to keep her eyes on the students. If she happens to see another employee walking on to the playground I have seen her start yelling at the students to the point where they start crying, to pretend that she's working. How can someone like that be allowed to work there? Parents have complained about her over the years and all she gets is a slap on the wrist. She keeps it up because she thinks that she's untouchable. This yard duty needs to be stopped! We don't want her at Garfield anymore. If other parents reading this feel the same way, please feel free to go see Gary Gonzales at HR to file a complaint about the way she treats our children. Something has to be done.

Garfield Elementary School 5

Posted May 16, 2013
I have to say the following: GREAT School, GREAT parents, GREAT Staff and GREAT Teachers!

Posted June 11, 2012
I agree with what many of the parents are writing about in regards to Garfield school. My children do not feel safe at this school. In the two years that my children have attended Garfield, getting bullied was a daily part of their school day, fights between students have been a regular occurance, the teachers in the lower grades accused parents of not being active participants in our children's learning process when in fact both my husband and myself have never worked harder with our children, they also intimidated students in the classroom with their demeaning personalities, higher grade teachers focused too much in science and math, but reamed students in their performance in English. This school taught my children to hate school. It was an easy decision to enroll my children in private school toward the end of this school year. I would highly recommend families in the Alhambra area to exercise the districts open enrollment policy and find another Alhambra school if private school is not an option. They also do not support Gate students transferring from another district and two employees were in the news this year for arrests directly related to the school. Yikes!

Posted November 15, 2011
The administration has changed and along with it the teachers have become divided. My two daughters' teachers are expecting me to be their educator. Both of my daughters get 2 hours worth of homework each night. In addition, my 3rd grader's teacher expect my daughter to complete her reading and online reading assessment at home. They have computer labs for this purpose but it never seems to get done there. My 1st grader's teacher never seems to know what is going on in her 1st/2nd grade combination class. Her class is a mess and the kids' desks are a mess. It is only the 3 month and I feel it has been a waste of the school year. This will definitely be our last year at this school.

Posted April 16, 2011
1) The school is known for bullying. 2) It lacks leadership. 3) Racism is alive and well at Garfield School. 4) While all this is going on, you have some of the teachers trying to relive their childhood and acting like children. WOW!

Posted September 23, 2010
Teachers, principal, and district don't care about your child's education. My 1st grader was placed in a 1st-2nd combination class 3 weeks into the school year due to overcrowding. The district had assigned a 5th grade teacher to the class! The math homework was too advanced and the classwork consisted of mostly coloring. I spoke to the new principal, Mrs. Kuo, about my concerns she told me she would conference with the teacher to ensure more appropriate curriculum. Also, she told me how good combo classes are, yet she reassured me that it is their policy to make sure that students are not placed in combo classes year after year. If combination classes are so good why were they only implemented as a result of overcrowding and why the effort to keep students from being subjected to them year after year?

Posted August 11, 2010
alas, continuing from my post, it is also this school has taught students to not trust, have bullying, and bitterness. Having good grades from garfield, you won't in san diego. Even the TEACHERS make fun of you to ''help others learn''. Their exercise program is inefficient. I didn't feel that much belonging at the school. And, yeah, along with parent issues, my depression progressed. Even after garfield. Funny, garfield looks at emotions other than anger as weakness. Self injury, depression, suicidal attempts, getting into an acute mental hospital can be rooted partly in parent issues and garfield.

Garfield Elementary School 2

Posted January 29, 2010
If you plan on being an involved parent, you will be disapponted with Garfield Elementary School. There is minimal parent participation. The teachers and principal are resistant to parents that want to be involved. Involvment to them means joining the PTA. The quality of education is entirely based on your child's teacher. The school lacks leadership. There have been three different principals in the last five years.

Garfield Elementary School 0

Posted September 27, 2009
My kids were students at Garfield Elementary School since Kindergarten, now they are in college and still one of my kids in Garfield. I consider it the best school around the city and always has been a magnificent, safe and enjoyable place to learn. Even the school has grown a lot, the staff always remains being excellent and the teachers really care about their students.

Garfield Elementary School
110 West Mclean Street, Alhambra, CA  91801
Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garfield Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top