Journey School

Charter | K-8 | 273 students

Posted October 14, 2014

We love Journey School and are thankful for the opportunity to be a part of its community. Journey isn't perfect, but I see the administration and teachers working so hard every day to meet the needs of all of the children--although that's never easy at a public school.

Posted May 16, 2014

If you are looking for a school where the teachers and staff really get to know your child and help them blossom into upright people who not only know how to think critically, but who also know how to care for themselves, others, and the environment, then Journey School is a good choice. We are so grateful to be a part of this wonderful school.

Posted April 28, 2014

My child entered Journey Fall 2013 as a junior kindy. We have nothing but good things to say. His teacher, Mrs. B is the best teacher I've ever met. Her love & compassion for the children is commendable & truly genuine. One of the things I love the most about charter schools is the level of parent involvement. Journey is a community of parents, teachers & staff who work hard at molding the best, most creative children.

Posted April 23, 2014

The Journey school provides the most wonderful learning experience for a child! The concept is progressive and yet the most basic tenets of life are at the core, creating a unique learning environment. The beautiful synergy in this school will bring forth excellent young people into our world, More children should have the Journey School experience! Expanding to make that possible is the goal.

Posted April 7, 2014

My 2 boys have been at Journey School for 4 years. I love how creativity is included in almost all the educational experiences they are having. My 8th grader is fully prepared to transition into 9th grade. He is taking Algebra 1 this year and will be going into Geometry in high school. He writes great papers and is enjoying working on his 8th grade project, in which he was able to pick a topic he is passionate about. He is writing papers, doing a power point and will be presenting his project to members of the school community. He has loved his time there. His homework has bumped up from the level it was in 7th grade and he has about 1-1.5 hours a night. I feel this is preparing him for the load of high school as well. My 2nd grader loves learning and I love that his homework is to read 30 minutes every night and do a chore. Totally age appropriate. He loves reading and loves math. He will occasionally ask me for a math worksheet, which I have some on hand and pull out. But it isn't stressful, just fun. Such a change from when my oldest was in 2nd grade at our local public school, homework felt like a big chore then.

Posted April 3, 2014

My student attended Journey for many years, loves it to this day, and is now near the top of the class in high school!

Posted April 3, 2014

I love Journey because - small class sizes - Loving teachers who are focused on what is best for the students - tight knit community - Waldorf curruculum which focuses on whole child development not just academics - Fosters joy that I can see in my children and a love of learning - administration actually values parent involvement and takes feedback very seriously

Posted April 3, 2014

Journey is a gem in the morass of OC public schools. Everyone (admin, teachers, parents and students) is committed to setting the standard for public Waldorf education. It's that rare place where the community continually strives to practice what it preaches. It's not perfect. It never will be, but the dedication of everyone involved is evident every day. There's a feeling of hope at this school that it's possible to make serious strides in changing public education. There's a greater school mission that everybody knows and wants to be a part of. Does it need the money? Absolutely! But money can't buy what is inherently happening at this school -- and that's to move the needle when it comes to public education in this country. Parking lot snafus, no hot lunch program and other logistical issues the school faces because of lack of funding are NOTHING compared to the other option available and that's having to to deal with regular public school admin who view your child as a cog in a wheel. We're new this year and didn't know what to expect. But what my family has experienced has inspired us. I will take Journey - warts and all - over a regular public school any day of the week.

Posted April 3, 2014

We spent two years on the waiting list and finally made it in. Worth the wait. Because of moves, our daughter has been to private, public and now a charter school. This beats everything else--loving, whole child centered, academic excellence and just pure kindness fill the air and the school day. It's an honor to be a part of something so special.

Posted April 2, 2014

My school is unique and nurtures creativity, stimulating the mind with all 5 senses of the body. My child is excited to go to school everyday and as a parent I am excited to participate in co-creating his learning environment. we also have a wonderful and gifted teacher.

Posted April 2, 2014

Fantastic K - 8 Waldorf-inspired school in a beautiful setting. Our kids love coming to school here and as parents, we love seeing them learn and retain information in new ways. The community here is so supportive, it's just a special place. We feel our children are getting a well-rounded education in math, science, history and english and appreciate the extras like foreign language, music, physical activity, gardening, cooking, sustainability, nature and more. We also feel lucky that it's a public charter so all have the chance to attend. Thanks, Journey School!

Posted April 2, 2014

I am a teacher at Journey so this may sound biased...I work at the best school that I have ever been to or taught at! After our gallery walk last week I could hardly be prouder than our little school that could! Every class that I walked into shined with amazing and artfully rendered student work, excellent board drawings and a warm and inviting atmosphere. I have spent more memorable moments here along side my dearest colleagues, my students parents and of course the loves of my universe...the children! How lucky we are to all be a part of this awe inspiring school?! I am looking forward to many more years here as a teacher, friend, colleague and lifelong learner in the ways of living the good life, its here!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 2, 2014

This is more than a school - it's like a giant family where everyone has the same morals and integrity. It is a place where my child can thrive and learn to be a great human being. It is a magical world where

Posted April 2, 2014

Journey represents true community. Our Waldorf inspired Chatter School is ever growning, well loved , and cutting edge. The community values inspired and balanced learning; based on the whole of the learning child. Our school thrives on parent particiption- time, spirit, and donations. One look at the photos on the website will leave you feeling enchanted. Dare to read the website details describing Journey, and you may just contemplate a move....

Posted April 2, 2014

A school that values childhood, families and providing the highest level of educational experience for our children. This school is a true treasure. The program at this school is dynamic and contemporary and allows a child to develop confidence in their abilities and become critical thinkers. It is impossible not to see a bright future as I watch children at this school evolve. This is an amazing and compassionate place where education really can be magical.

Posted January 23, 2014

We are in our second year here at Journey and the more I learn about the school, the more I love it. Why? 1) Waldorf approach is aligned with the latest research on brain development, and the optimal way that children learn in an age appropriate manner. For example, just last week, the teachers gave a talk with parents "What research says about success in life and how schools and parents can help". Much of the talk was based on a NYTimes best selling book called How Children Succeed - and much of the school's approach is in line with the latest recommendations! 2) The school helps to foster the 'light' and 'love of learning'. I think much of the rest of public school education with its focus on memorization and performance on test scores etc, rather than learning itself, just saps the life out of the student. 3) Sense of like-minded community - there is the saying 'it takes a village', that is really true here at Journey. It seems to me that the parents, teachers and administration really are committed to one thing in common - the well-being of the students. When I speak, the teachers and administration listen. I encourage you to learn more about the Waldorf! It has changed me.

Posted December 3, 2013

Our son had a beautiful kindergarten year at this Waldorf inspired charter school. Now in 1st grade we continue to be satisfied with the small class size. (23 students) and additional teachers aide. We believe that the education of our child is not solely the responsibility of any school system so we constantly monitor our child's learning and provide support when needed. As for teacher quality, the majority of the teachers here are Waldorf certified and hold a master's degree. Most Common Core standards are embedded in the curriculum here. Students evidence their learning by the textbooks they create. Ingenuity and creativity are encouraged which is a rarity in today's data/ test driven school culture.

Posted November 1, 2013

I think it's unfortunate for all those who have left Journey on such bad terms, as for me and my family we have overall been happy with Journey as a whole. (With the exception of the parking and no good hot lunch program) We have seen improvements with rules and conduct and have worked side by side with teachers and administrators to solve problems and feel like we received personable attention and the problems were solved respectably. My kids are treated fairly and they love school. No fights in the morning to go and they come home happy. I have volunteered at the school for the last 4 years and have seen the kids in their classroom at recess and lunch, etc. These Journey kids are happy! As for academics, once in the mid to upper grades these kids are being challenged in ways kids in traditional schools are not. It's fascinating to watch these kids learn things like times tables with movement! If your considering Journey, take a tour a check it out yourself. You'll know if its right for your family.

Posted October 17, 2013

We love Journey! It's such a great community of parents, and the teachers are kind and obviously love what they do. My two boys started 2 years ago - when they were in 3rd and 5th grade. We were nervous that they would be welcomed into the tight knit group of kids - many who had known each other since Kindergarten - but they made instant friends and have built lasting relationships with many of the kids there. The studies are different from their last 'traditional' school - in which Journey students create their own 'text books'. It's more work, but they've retained so much more because of it! Plus the extra-curricular activities such as cooking, gardening, hand-work, music, and games have helped them become well-rounded children. Lastly, the 'compassionate campus' has helped the older students take on responsibility and help the kids become a greater community on the whole. Many 'graduated' (high school) students come back on major days such as the first day of school, Harvest Faire, the 8th grade projects, and the May Faire - a great testament to how much they love their experience at Journey. Many students go on to some of the most competitive high schools in the area.

Posted October 16, 2013

We are new to Journey School this year and have absolutely loved our experience so far. The school provides such a nurturing, warm, and creative approach to educating and guiding our little ones. They strive to open their eyes to the beauty and miracles that surround them every day, which inspires their creativity and desire to learn. In 1 month of school, my kindergarten son is a different person. He has a new view of the world, new appreciation for all that is around him, and has come out of his shell. He used to cry every day at drop off for preschool and now has told me he wishes to live at school...what a huge change! We couldn't ask for a better place to send our child and feel blessed to be part of the Journey family.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students55%

White (not Hispanic)60%
Students with no reported disability59%
Fluent-English proficient and English only59%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

White (not Hispanic)60%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Shaheer Faltas
Fax number
  • (949) 448-7256

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Computer lab