Public charter
Aliso Viejo, CA

Posted August 27, 2015
My kids have been students at Journey School for the past three years. Overall it has been a really good place for them to learn. The school utilizes Waldorf methods to teach both Waldorf and CA state standards. I find that Journey's developmental approach to teaching instills a love of learning in my children. Using the development approach, teachers are able to capture the children’s interest when they are natural inclined to absorb that material. They offer a lot of hands on learning experiences and specialty programs too. Music and art are integrated into academics. Gardening, knitting, cooking and other practical skills are taught early to develop fine motor skills and responsibility. Compassion for each other and the earth is part of daily life at Journey School. Core academics are taught in a meaningful, developmentally appropriate way. Field trips include plays, overnight camping, visits to farms and more. My kids are motivated to go to school and have developed a curiosity and confidence that will serve them well in the future. Faculty and administration work hard to keep the lines of communication open between home and school. I have met one on one with my kids’ teachers and administration many times and feel they are responsive and helpful. Parents are very involved in the school community and work hard to host festivals, events and fundraisers. My oldest child just graduated from Journey – she’s moved on to a public high school and is taking accelerated courses, including Geometry, as a freshman. She felt very prepared for 9th grade.

Posted August 16, 2015
We began at Journey last year after two years at a traditional public school and Journey has been such a blessing for our family. We truly value the hands-on learning and a curriculum that is so well-suited for how our children learn. Starting in first grade, the teachers travel with the students to the next grade. We've been so impressed by how both of our kids' teachers have come to know them for who they are and to truly understand how they learn--including their strengths and challenges. We believe whole-heartedly in the slow approach to learning; and the fact that our children are simply happier at Journey than they were at their old school, is what makes Journey School the "village" that we are lucky enough to call home.

Journey School 1

Posted March 05, 2015
I was tricked into joining this school as from the surface it appears to be a wonderful place where all types of people are tolerated. When you go deeper into the curriculum you realize it is nothing like that at all. Most parents don't bother to research the founder, Rudolf Steiner, and his beliefs. First of all he was not a parent so he truly knows nothing about children. Secondly he believed that the white race is the supreme race and will slowly brainwash your child with this theory so upon graduation your child is a soldier for the Illuminati. Also, the staff and faculty are so completely brainwashed that they really have no idea as to what is being taught. Except Shaheer Faltas who is notorious in the Waldorf world for being brought to a school that is otherwise failing. His job is to resurrect the fallen financial structure of the school and then he will move on to the next one that is in trouble. Stay away from here as it is facade to get the parents who are all about natural, healthy alternatives to public schools. Parents who should and would home school are their prey.

Journey School 2

Posted February 01, 2015
Hello, Please take the rave reviews about this school with a grain of salt. Note how many of them were written in the same time frame (a request for positive loading perhaps?) & that less than glowing reviews don't stay on-site long. As I write this my child is requesting one star; however, since this school does have some very good teachers, that would not be fair. As noted, Ms. B is an excellent, warm, and caring instructor. Others may also claim this accolade but, please note, your experience with this school is VERY teacher specific. Get a good one & all will be well. Have difficulty with any & wish to address it - watch your back & that of your child. Additionally, the school is growing too quickly & failing to integrate its' vaunted values into the ongoing character of the school within this growth situation. Bullying is to be watched for as the administration will scramble to cover up any incident which shows the school in a poor light rather than properly address issues. Parents who wish to improve the school & speak up are often shut down then driven out. Much is gloss. Seek out those who have left & hear them out; don't rely on the raves only.

Posted May 16, 2014
If you are looking for a school where the teachers and staff really get to know your child and help them blossom into upright people who not only know how to think critically, but who also know how to care for themselves, others, and the environment, then Journey School is a good choice. We are so grateful to be a part of this wonderful school.

Posted April 28, 2014
My child entered Journey Fall 2013 as a junior kindy. We have nothing but good things to say. His teacher, Mrs. B is the best teacher I've ever met. Her love & compassion for the children is commendable & truly genuine. One of the things I love the most about charter schools is the level of parent involvement. Journey is a community of parents, teachers & staff who work hard at molding the best, most creative children.

Posted April 23, 2014
The Journey school provides the most wonderful learning experience for a child! The concept is progressive and yet the most basic tenets of life are at the core, creating a unique learning environment. The beautiful synergy in this school will bring forth excellent young people into our world, More children should have the Journey School experience! Expanding to make that possible is the goal.

Posted April 07, 2014
My 2 boys have been at Journey School for 4 years. I love how creativity is included in almost all the educational experiences they are having. My 8th grader is fully prepared to transition into 9th grade. He is taking Algebra 1 this year and will be going into Geometry in high school. He writes great papers and is enjoying working on his 8th grade project, in which he was able to pick a topic he is passionate about. He is writing papers, doing a power point and will be presenting his project to members of the school community. He has loved his time there. His homework has bumped up from the level it was in 7th grade and he has about 1-1.5 hours a night. I feel this is preparing him for the load of high school as well. My 2nd grader loves learning and I love that his homework is to read 30 minutes every night and do a chore. Totally age appropriate. He loves reading and loves math. He will occasionally ask me for a math worksheet, which I have some on hand and pull out. But it isn't stressful, just fun. Such a change from when my oldest was in 2nd grade at our local public school, homework felt like a big chore then.

Posted April 03, 2014
My student attended Journey for many years, loves it to this day, and is now near the top of the class in high school!

Posted April 03, 2014
I love Journey because - small class sizes - Loving teachers who are focused on what is best for the students - tight knit community - Waldorf curruculum which focuses on whole child development not just academics - Fosters joy that I can see in my children and a love of learning - administration actually values parent involvement and takes feedback very seriously

Journey School
27102 Foxborough, Aliso Viejo, CA  92656
Last modified Journey School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Journey School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 87 reviews. Top