K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

We are thrilled to have found such a wonderful school for our girls. Our two daughters have been students since Kindergarten and, as VDA students, they have a strong educational foundation and most importantly, a love of learning. The girls are now in 4th and 1st grade and we have been delighted and impressed by the level of dedication each teacher has. Our daughters are EXCITED to go to school, see their friends and teachers, and learn! The teachers and staff are caring, nurturing and highly involved. I believe that because of the small class size and the teacher’s specialization of subjects, our daughters’ thirst for knowledge will continue to develop and they will be more than prepared to excel when they move on to high school and beyond. We are grateful to be part of such an amazing school!

We transferred from a 10-point public elementary school to here and I am really happy that we did. My children were in the GATE program in the public school, but I was really disappointed with it because there was no extra curriculum at all. VanDamme's academic level is far superior than public schools. They teach students how to learn, to focus, and to be effective. My daughter told me at her old school she didn't need to work in the class. At VanDamme she does, and she likes the challenge she gets. On weekends sometimes she would say "uh! No school today... I wish I could go to school!" VanDamme's literature and writing curriculum is also impressive. At public school I only saw a big red check mark on my kid's essays. Here I saw word by word grading and in-line correcting; students do first draft, second draft, final. Kids are not only learning grate writing skills, it's also the right attitude for their work and their life. This is the kind of early education we need.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I observed some of the teachers. I wish I had been educated here. They presented the material in a way that was effective for the students. The students were actively participating.

Amount of homework: Agree

The no homework policy has been fantastic. I understand some students in some grades are required to read at home some evenings.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I have spoke with students and parents of students from this school. The students demonstrate these qualities in the answers to the questions I have asked.

The faculty has extensive knowledge about the subjects they teach, and they are very compassionate about the students. They school has a no homework policy. This allows a child to be a student in the class, and a child outside the class. The school has a 15 student class size. I know my child is getting the individual attention she deserves.

My child was a student at this school. We were impressed with this school and its director but as time passed, I concluded my child and parents in general were not being treated respectfully. This was not immediately obvious to me, but traced back to things said by the director and to other parents. This is a mediocre education, advertised as far superior to anything else in the market. In our family's experience, it was one of our all-time worst investments.

Fantastic school! It is like a family. The teachers and administration adore the kids as much as the kids adore them. They are helping raise these kids into respectful, knowledgeable, helpful little humans. They think of the child as a whole, they don't just focus on math and reading. It's a small school with big achievements.

I can not say enough great things about this school. My son is growing so much and i could not be more grateful. The woman who started the school, has such success in making children fall in love with learning. The kids are engaged and have a ton knowledge in history, science,art history, math, and English! The no homework is such a blessing. Kids are required to read and study for tests, but other than that, the families are free of homework. The class sizes are small and the school does not comprise on class sizes to make more money. I have younger children begging to go to vda. The only thing missing is a vda preschool =)

My son started VDA this year. It has been an amazing experience. It has changed our lives. We no longer have the stress of homework. We are able to enjoy our evenings being a family. Also, my son does not complain about being bored in school . Everyone is very caring. All of the teachers are very accessible. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an alternative to traditional school. Also, the small class size is very beneficial. Mrs. VanDamme really cares about her school. The ttuition is very reasonable and it is worth every dime.

Last modified Vandamme Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-8