Wood Canyon Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 497 students

Posted June 1, 2014

The only reason I am giving this school one star is because my sons Kindergarten teacher is amazing! She is very caring, very involved, and all around what a teacher should be! Mrs. Lewis is awesome! Unfortunately, that ends the good things I have to say about this school. The principal is lacking any real leadership skills. She comes off friendly enough, but really when you have a problem, it takes a fair amount of pushing on your part to make her respond. My daughter's second grade teacher is completely the opposite of what a teacher should be and quite frankly seems that she is just there for the paycheck. There are a lot of special needs children at this school, which is NOT a problem in itself, however I feel they have no idea how to manage the high number they do have...from what I have seen in my daughter's class, they most certainly need to revise their plan! My kids will not be returning to this school, and I know they are not part of a small number that will not be! It is unfortunate that there are so many great schools in this district and this one is just allowed to continually get worse!

Posted May 29, 2014

This school is just ok. Grading is horrible! Kind of a boring school, nothing fun or whatsoever. Hoping that they will have a new Principal for the next school year.

Posted May 15, 2014

Horrible school, bad management, terrible bullying stories and poor staff in and out of the classrooms. Removing my son from this school was one of the best decisions my husband and I took.

Posted March 17, 2014

We hand-picked Wood Canyon Elementary after reviewing the four public elementary schools in Aliso Viejo, 3 years ago, when we learned that we would be relocating. Our initial narrowing was based on safety and ethnic diversity along with a solid API. We met with the Principal for a tour and were hooked! The warm and personable greeting from the office staff and Principal along with the safe environment that we observed determined our decision. I became involved in the PTA right away and was welcomed by friendly parents. I have volunteered in my son's classrooms for two years now and have found both teachers to be as highly skilled, respectful and nurturing. Our son struggles with a high degree of attention deficit which was identified last year thanks to a very experienced and caring team of professionals beginning with his teacher who did not rush to conclusions but rather observed and tried environmental modifications before moving forward. The testing and ultimate IEP was completed in a smooth and timely manner. A year later, our son is nearly all but caught up to his grade level thanks to the support that he has received from Wood Canyon Elementary educators!

Posted February 25, 2014

Pitiful parent involvement...only a handful are running the entire PPO and the burnout rate is high for even the most dedicated volunteers. The principal comes across as friendly, but is actually highly inflexible. There are a mix of teachers who truly care and those who are just there for the paycheck. Those who are good teachers are often teaching combo classes, something this school has MANY of! It is unfortunate that schools in the same district and such close proximity could be so drastically different. I highly recommend exercising your rights to school of choice or one of the local charter schools.

Posted February 12, 2014

Great Principal and Teacher Staff. Great teamwork and teachers are very engaged and passionate about teaching and making a difference in their students' lives.

Posted February 11, 2014

I love Wood Canyon! This is our second year at the school. It is small and personal and my children are happy and encouraged to soar! Thank you amazing, creative teachers!!!!

Posted February 11, 2014

Great school, awesome facilities, Mrs Tran is the BEST teacher for 2nd graders! Great Ymca, with Mr Bryan having "Dance party recess" on some Fridays. The kids here seem happy. I volunteer a lot on campus and am always happy with the environment!I wish there was more parent involvement.

Posted February 11, 2014

I have two children at Wood Canyon. It's an amazing school with thoughtful, caring teachers who push them to be their best both academically and with regards to character. I love that the teachers an principal generally communicate so openly with parents through email as well. Our PTA and Foundation provide so many additional programs..music classes, art classes, Ability Awareness Days, classroom periodicals, library books, recess supervision, PE Equipment, Running Club, Science Week, Earth Week, Literacy Week, plus amazing Family Nights for our school to get together as a community. It's something I never imagined having at my kids' school...and those events are free! They really work hard not to fund raise us to death too. All in all, it's been an amazing experience so far. I see how much my kids are learning, how much they love to learn more, and I don't think I've once had trouble getting them up and out of bed to get to school...they must be doing something right! Two big thumbs up for Wood Canyon!

Posted February 11, 2014

I actually really like the principal. She is always willing to listen and knows what good instruction is. The school has a strong focus on decision but is also very friendly. Wish more parents were involved. I think we have a lot of working professionals, but still.

Posted January 9, 2014

This is the first year that my daughter is in a class with a teacher that I genuinely believe to be capable and caring. Her teacher is passionate about teaching (imagine that!) and has no issues with being the one to set the bar. UNFORTUNATELY, there isn't much else that can be positively added about the school. My child's teacher is the only reason why I've even bothered with rating WC with 2 stars. The principal and her office staff have sub par people skills and really shouldn't be running an elementary school. Frankly, the 5 of out 10 average is higher than I expected to see. Sadly, just a couple of years ago, Wood Canyon was rated 7 out of 10. ----- My child will NOT be returning next year.

Posted September 16, 2013

Wood Canyon is a great school with many patient staff and talent teachers. My kids were not only new to the school but also new to US and English. The teachers in WC helped them with great effort and they grow to love US and now speak fluent English within 1 year. The YMCA onsite is very organized and family feeling. Mr. Brian of YMCA love their kids so much and pays extra attention to his mission of manage well the Y. I am so grateful that WC is in Aliso Viejo.

Posted August 30, 2012

my daughter is very happy to came in this school every single day, the front office is really good, nice and helper! we love it!

Posted April 24, 2012

The staff is so bad here. The front office is an unhappy bunch and my child has been going here for 2 years. Now, my child education is great here. But the staff, teachers included should practice what they teach.

Posted March 16, 2012

My Son is in Kindergarten. He has a teacher that means well and has plenty of experience. Her practices are old school and she has a bland personality. The Principle also clearly means well but she is completely and utterly overwhelmed. The kids are missing out on so much. I look forward to not being at this school next year.

Posted February 26, 2012

My son is a special needs student at this school and his new teacher in RSP is terrific. I disagree with the other parent that says no one cares about special needs students. At least that's not true with his teacher. She comes to his after school activities, listens to his social problems and finds way to make his day great everyday. Without her my son would not be able to be mainstreamed. I appreciate her every day. She was named Teacher of the Year this year. I am not sure how this is voted on but she would get my vote too! I'm not sure if I can name her on this website but everyone who goes to the school would know who she is. I want to say thank you to her for helping special students find a place in her heart and school.

Posted February 16, 2012

My 1st son goes to this preschool and we love Mrs. Scinico, the teacher, so much. My son is really a hard one to handle but she and her assistant sure have A LOT of patience with him and the other handful kids. He know how to read, write his name and manners in his very early age. We are so thankful with this school, their teachers and staff.

Posted October 29, 2011

This school is very hostile towards parents of special need children. The staff are rude and do not care for the kids. They just care about squeezing kids into a 1 size fit all approach, not about individual needs of children. We have had really bad experience and would never send my children there again.

Posted December 5, 2010

We moved to the midwest, in large part to get away from this school. A large portion of the school day is devoted to drop-off and pick-up procedures, none of which are well managed. Our child began kindergarten and attended 1.5 years of preschool on the grounds, and every single communique from teachers included basic grammatical errors. The "ladies" in the office are horrible bureaucrats with no respect for whom they truly work; they act as if the county/state government is the word of god and they can't take any information directly from parents, and I personally witnessed them berate a small child for missing the bus to an after school activity.

Posted September 17, 2010

This is my daughters first year at Wood Canyon and I was a little apprehensive to have her go here initially since they score so low but because of where we live I didn't have a choice. I know it's early in the year but so far I am unhappy with this school and would not recommend it. Firstly, they haven't given us any information as to what to expect yet expect everyone to just automatically just know what to do. Secondly, the principal runs the school like a boot camp. If the children are 1 minute late they get locked out of assemblies. It turns out the schools clocks were wrong but it still left about 50 kids sitting alone in the hallway not knowing what to do or what was going on. When the principal was confronted about this, she was closed minded and unfriendly.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students63%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 14%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

23431 Knollwood