Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Wood Canyon is an amazing school and I am proud that my daughter is a Comet! I think that a child's education is the responsibility of the parent, the teacher, and the school. I love the big assignments over long weekends because they are fun projects for the entire family to work on. I will never, ever want a school to give less homework! More homework means that our kids will finally catch up in science and math to the rest of the world. Long story short, keep up the good work Wood Canyon! You are all doing an amazing job with the limited resources that the State of California provides to our schools.

Great teachers, wonderful office staff and awesome PTA !!! Positive peer influence, very safe environment. YMCA program on campus.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We have character traits that are focused on each month. Teachers really hammer these home. At our trimester awards, kids are recognized at each grade level for their achievement in the character traits.

The first year my son went there I was highly concerned for his safety during drop off as the gate for kinder was left open and he could just run back out to the car line. This was improved the second year, but the experiences were terrible. Time out were regulated to a "pod" in the center of several classrooms, which my son has had nightmares of and the teacher has admitted to forgetting she put him in there. Worse, she praised his behavior improved on the sheer mention of the pod. Bullying is a big problem at the school, and the administration seems blind to the issue. The administration are friendly on the surface, but if there is a problem it turns into politics with the story changing every time you turn around.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Huge projects over holidays (including long weekends) pretty much ruin any potential for quality family time.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

A strong "no tattle" policy, taught in a way that discourages students from speaking up when something serious is wrong.

The only reason I am giving this school one star is because my sons Kindergarten teacher is amazing! She is very caring, very involved, and all around what a teacher should be! Mrs. Lewis is awesome! Unfortunately, that ends the good things I have to say about this school. The principal is lacking any real leadership skills. She comes off friendly enough, but really when you have a problem, it takes a fair amount of pushing on your part to make her respond. My daughter's second grade teacher is completely the opposite of what a teacher should be and quite frankly seems that she is just there for the paycheck. There are a lot of special needs children at this school, which is NOT a problem in itself, however I feel they have no idea how to manage the high number they do have...from what I have seen in my daughter's class, they most certainly need to revise their plan! My kids will not be returning to this school, and I know they are not part of a small number that will not be! It is unfortunate that there are so many great schools in this district and this one is just allowed to continually get worse!

This school is just ok. Grading is horrible! Kind of a boring school, nothing fun or whatsoever. Hoping that they will have a new Principal for the next school year.

Horrible school, bad management, terrible bullying stories and poor staff in and out of the classrooms. Removing my son from this school was one of the best decisions my husband and I took.

We hand-picked Wood Canyon Elementary after reviewing the four public elementary schools in Aliso Viejo, 3 years ago, when we learned that we would be relocating. Our initial narrowing was based on safety and ethnic diversity along with a solid API. We met with the Principal for a tour and were hooked! The warm and personable greeting from the office staff and Principal along with the safe environment that we observed determined our decision. I became involved in the PTA right away and was welcomed by friendly parents. I have volunteered in my son's classrooms for two years now and have found both teachers to be as highly skilled, respectful and nurturing. Our son struggles with a high degree of attention deficit which was identified last year thanks to a very experienced and caring team of professionals beginning with his teacher who did not rush to conclusions but rather observed and tried environmental modifications before moving forward. The testing and ultimate IEP was completed in a smooth and timely manner. A year later, our son is nearly all but caught up to his grade level thanks to the support that he has received from Wood Canyon Elementary educators!

Last modified Wood Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.