Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 07, 2016
If you're sending your child to Lightfoot, they are inevitably going to have a great education because the bulk of the teachers are incredible. They love their jobs and are very good at them! They are very dedicated to their students. The reason I cannot give 5 stars is because of the lack of leadership this school has endured since Rosann Marlen has been principal. The morale has never been so low. She is unprofessional with her staff and parents. There is no interaction between her and the students whatsoever. She is out of touch with what goes on in the classroom and does not support good teachers. I doubt if she ever even walks into the classrooms. She doesn't reprimand poor teachers nor guide them in the right direction. There is no expectation or follow through. Great teachers feel undervalued and poor teachers have no consequence. Which is such a shame because eventually these wonderful teachers will go elsewhere in order to feel supported. Poor teachers are now being moved to other grade levels so that test scores will rise which only adds fuel to the fire because now they don't have to administer the test and be evaluated. She gossips about parents and other teachers and says whatever she feels may avoid any confrontation because she is not a true leader. She spends school money on irrelevant things like a sub for her own personal tasks rather than give help to teachers or purchase materials that would benefit their teachings. In addition, she accommodates crazy parents because they raise a stink and threaten to sue. In the meantime, others with concerns get brushed aside. There is nothing in place for parents or teachers to do or someone to go to in order to voice these concerns. She is untouchable. Unfortunately, the only solution at this point is to hope she retires soon so that Lightfoot can reach its full potential.

Posted July 31, 2014
Terry Embleton was one of the best administrators I've had the pleasure to work with as a teacher & as a parent. He was exceptionally skilled at balancing the sharing of enough of his own personal being while maintaining the distance required for him to make well informed, sound, appropriate administrative decisions, which made for the best work environment I experienced in any school. His exceptional leadership granted him the most deserved promotions. I hope he has continued to receive teacher staff and district personnel support.

Carleton P. Lightfoot Elementary School 2

Posted May 29, 2013
I wish I could give this school 5 stars, but my daughter had a horrible 4th grade experience. She had a teacher that used bullying tactics on the children. She also lacked compassion, organization and had zero communication skills. We tried all year to make things right with her, only to be greeted by an uninterested, "whatever" attitude. She intimidated her students and nearly broke my daughter's self esteem down. I have spoken to 2 other parents who have all shared my opinion on her. The principal said she'd talk to her or we can file a formal complaint with the district. This was really disheartening because we absolutely enjoyed our Kindergartners teacher Mrs. Henry. She was fair and always kept us parents in the loop of everything going on in the classroom. She is the reason why we are giving this school another chance. We are just hoping that my 4th grader just happened to have had the worst teacher in the school. I guess time will tell.

Carleton P. Lightfoot Elementary School 1

Posted March 17, 2013
My daughter went to this school from K-1st I was very dissapointed in the way my daughters 2 teacher had very negative attitude towards my daughter and me as parent. The principal only focuses on her staff and the parents are on the PTO. I was very glad to move my daughter to sister school.

Carleton P. Lightfoot Elementary School 2

Posted June 15, 2012
After 10 years,I have seen CPL be more and more of a place that just does the bare minimum.The API score of 5 for similar schools is a result of that lack of passion.Only a few AWESOME teachers have the passion and really care about the kids and their families.We have been blessed to have those teachers but others have had awful experiences with teachers that are condescending,they yell etc.The school as a whole is lacking an enriching,nurturing and enthuusiastic environment starting at the top (principal).Parents throughout our school feel the principal is not approachable and hardly cares.Without that leadership many of the teachers have become complacent.This missing passion is evident by all of the "extras" not offered at CPL but other schools do.Choir(kids perform at baseball/.hockey games),"Reflections","Odyssey of The Mind",mathe bee,homework club,before school enrichment like spanish or reading classes or recess time,student counsel,etc.These experiences help make kids well rounded,build their confidence and assure their happiness as well! We have amazing kids and parents at this school but big changes need to happen from the top in order for CPL to reach it's potential!

Posted April 06, 2011
I have 2 kids at Lightfoot (4 years now) and it is an excellent school! The teachers are great and the curriculum is very challenging. There are also a lot of fun school activities for the student body and their families. The E3 foundation for education has started doing fun educational activities after school on Mondays ranging in painting classes to scrabble and chess. I love this school and the feeling of community here.

Carleton P. Lightfoot Elementary School

Posted April 27, 2010
Carleton P. Lightfoot elementary school is a successful school because it has extremely dedicated faculty and staff. The school is very student and community-focused. The emotional climate of the school is very warm, positive and encouraging, and as a result, it has great parent support. I feel confident that my kids are getting a great education at Lightfoot, and maybe even more importantly, they are developing a lifelong love for learning!

Posted September 06, 2008
CPL is a very good school with a lot of potential. Most teachers performece is avobe average, however there are some who really need help and unfortunatly our children end up paying the price for it. Hence we went from being #1 to #5 very close to #6. I am definatly concern about our childrens future at CPL.

Posted October 01, 2007
Very good school, excellent teachers.

Posted April 20, 2006
I have 3 kids attending this school and have mixed feelings. They are very focused on obtaining good test results as well as the AR program, almost to the kids detriment. However, when they have had troubles, the teachers have been very helpful in finding solutions. We have had some great teachers and some not so great. I am not aware of much in the way of music, art, or sports, although the city has many of these available which makes it up some.

Carleton P. Lightfoot Elementary School
6989 Kenyon Way, Alta Loma, CA  91701-8605
Last modified Carleton P. Lightfoot Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.