Public charter
Altadena, CA

Posted April 26, 2014
My son is in kindergarten and we are proud to say " our son is loving to learn". He is reading now and he started writing his thoughts about how he can help the world, our planet and more. We are part of a community of parents that are highly involved in their children's education. Our son's individualized learning plans are always accurate showing his progress and his new goals for the coming weeks. our experience at Aveson has been outstanding from the beginning .

Aveson Global Leadership Academy 4

Posted April 21, 2014
Aveson Global Leadership Academy is a middle and high school that is chartered through the Pasadena Unified School District. AGLA uses Mastery Learning (look it up) and it is in most cases a project based learning environment. Children who are self starters and self motivated will thrive here as there is a lot of independent work done at AGLA. There are some really excellent teachers at AGLA! One thing that I don't like as well is that in some subjects (i.e. history and upper math levels) there is just one teacher advising multiple classes in the same room at the same time. I personally don't think this serves the teachers or the students as well as the one subject in a room at a time model. The student body seems to be for the most a supportive and helpful group. Being smaller than your typical middle/high school in there are not as many options available to students, but they do pretty well. They've gotten involved in some local sports leagues, so the students who are interested can participate. Overall, I do think that AGLA is an above average school.

Posted November 13, 2013
I have two daughters at Aveson, we were lucky enough to get in the first year they opened. This school has cultivated academic excellence in both girls, but even more, the school also cultivates social and emotional intelligence, healthy living, and social leadership. It's the whole child.

Posted October 25, 2013
Love this school! It has been the best change for us, the go above and beyond always.

Posted October 18, 2013
I've been a student with Aveson for nearly seven years now, and I've had such as positive experience. The teachers are incredible, and the individualized learning style is such a new and thoughtful way to learn. I have gained a lot of skills--both educational and social--with this school. I've also learned a lot about myself and how I learn best, as well as gaining confidence in my abilities. This school is a community, and a very comfortable place to learn.

Posted October 18, 2013
Aveson Global Leadership is a community school. It is a special place that starts with personalization and a strong culture and climate. Students are on a personal pathway, leading them to a 4 year university, a career, vocational training, the military, a community college, an internship, or other continuing education opportunities. Students are not treated to a one size fits all mentality. They are met where they are; socially, emotionally and mentally., Their interests, passions, learning styles and other personal perspectives matter, are heard and considered when developing their curriculum and assessment. Technology, global competence and community building are the cornerstones. An amazing school.

Aveson Global Leadership Academy 1

Posted May 22, 2013
As a follow up to the review titled "This school is pathetic. Teachers are unorganized and hypocritical." I can only agree with this statement. Along with this my child essentially has to teach himself. He has good grades but has said on multiple occasions that he feels that he hasn't learned anything all year. If you let your student carry on with this school they will be underprepared for college. The lack of any help for students trying to take AP/honors is appalling, and the school counselor has messed up with my children's transcripts several times. People who say this school is great don't have a good idea of the non-existent support for students who are trying to ADVANCE in school, instead, the teachers focus on the kids who are failing, which is a noble effort but again they are understaffed. Also because they place multiple grades into the same class the teacher is even more stretched out.

Posted May 15, 2013
Skills for the 21st century. Sounds like a bunch of marketing bs. But it's not. The kids learn to present in front of classes, learn to evaluate their own learning, thye learn to filter and categorize information, they learn to think critically and ask questions to further thier learning.

Posted May 08, 2013
Well, I have to say, after reading the most recent poor review of Aveson, I am saddened and surprised that one could slander an entire school for some obvious personal problems he/she had with the staff and/or Director. I am all for having an opinion, whether positive or negative, and some of the points stated have merit. They may be understaffed, most probably because of severe budget cuts by the state, but I have not once been treated or seen anyone be treated with anything but utter respect. The neighborhood is not the greatest but we are making due with what we have until we move to our new campus next September. We are constantly growing and changing as a school and my children have benefitted greatly by the amazing teaching and learning that is going on. I know, with confidence, that my children with be well rounded, critical thinking adults that will thrive in whatever they do and I am so grateful that an amazing school like Aveson exists!

Posted September 11, 2010
Hi. I love this school. My kids are thriving here. And they have a bunch of spots open grades 6 - 12. Check out the student essays (day in the life) on their aveson.org website. It really teaches them to think independently.

Aveson Global Leadership Academy
575 West Altadena Drive, Altadena, CA  91001
Last modified Aveson Global Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aveson Global Leadership Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top