No rating

Saint Elizabeth

Private | K-8 | 242 students

Enhancing Academics Through Arts in a Faith Community

Living in Altadena

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $412,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,530.

Posted January 21, 2014

Highly academic, artistic, and nurturing environment. Our son is thriving at St. E. He feels safe here and his teachers really see him. Great schools are great from the administration on down and this school walks the walk. The teachers will teach your young ones to read, they have music twice a week, art, Spanish, and great language arts and math programs. The parent community is welcoming, inclusive and down to earth.

Posted October 21, 2013

St. Elizabeth is a fantastic school that offers a wonderful sense of community, a nurturing environment and great academic and arts program. Each year they broaden their scope and introduce new programs to enhance our children's develoment and parent's needs. Last year they started the Transitional Kindergarten program for our pre-school age children. Recently they have introduced a Spanish curriculum into the classrooms and offer enrichment "elective" courses to the junior high kids. The teachers are fabulous and accesible and the parish is warm and inviting!

Posted October 21, 2013

Our daughter has attended St. Elizabeth's for three years, and we are very pleased with the education she has received thus far. The community of the school is remarkable, and the care each child receives as a student and as an individual is outstanding.

Posted October 21, 2013

I've had nothing but eondferful experinces at St. E.izabeth with students, parents and staff. We've had two daughters graduate and currently have a son attending. The school has much to offer in academics, sports and caring enviroment. The diversity of cultures is amazing and really helps our children to become respecctful and loving members of our community. The staf id aleays availanle and willing to help. Reccommend school to anyone .

Posted October 21, 2013

We are going on our sixth year at St. Elizabeth's. We have been very happy with the school, the staff and the education. The principal has done an excellent job hiring great teachers and our kids have been happy every year. The school is a great community and actively involved. Our children are getting a great education at a reasonable price.

Posted October 19, 2013

This school is great. My daughter has been going there for three years now and she loves it. The parents are all hard working, humble parents and the school provides a non-stuffy environment. If you're looking for a school with great parent support and good kids, this is the place for you!

Posted October 19, 2013

St. Elizabeth is truly a caring and loving community, which lends itself to promoting the excellence and goodness within each child. The school offers a well rounded curriculum along with wonderful, caring teachers.

Posted February 8, 2013

St. Elizabeth School has been an amazing choice for our daughter. The academics are rigorous, but the children also have art, music and P.E. classes. Spanish classes begin at the 1st grade level. Being a teacher myself, I know that school is not simply about the academics. The school community is caring and inclusive. It is so easy to meet other families and add the social aspect that is so important for children. The campus is secure and the layout provides a feeling of togetherness, while also having a big field for sports. We LOVE this school!

Posted February 4, 2013

My children went to St. Elizabeth some time ago and I have met and continue to have my very best friends that I met at this wonderful school. My children are now 36 and 34 and my Granddaughter is now enjoying the same special teachings at this school. The parents and teachers are the very best. These people have shown my family the love and support during good times and bad times. The support system is amazing and I am so proud to be a Parent and Grandparent from St. Elizabeth.

Posted January 7, 2013

We have 3 daughters enrolled currently at St. Elizabeth. 3 very different girls with their own strengths and weeknesses. St Elizabeth does a fantastic job of making sure they all thrive! The teaching staff is very capable and caring. Sports and the arts are fantastic at this school. Just when we thought they couldn't be any better we got a great new 8th grade teacher with a dance background. We have many new families from other private schools in the area that can't believe how friendly everyone is here. WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH OUR FRIENDLY LITTLE SCHOOL!

Posted January 5, 2013

As a single mother, I toured public and private schools for my son that was starting Kindergarten. When my son and I toured the school we both immediately fell in love with it. It such a great environment, it is secure and safe, the teachers and staff and extremely helpful, and the parents are beyond AMAZINGLY involved with each other as a community and team. I see all of them as family and we are there for each other for anything! The principal and staff made it possible for my son to come here as a single mother and full time student. Thank you St. Elizabeth!

Posted January 3, 2013

I grew up in Altadena and Pasadena. I went to several private schools in the area. When it came time to choose a school for my son, we toured all of them. St. Elizabeth is what we chose and, with absolute certainty, we feel like we made the 100% right choice. My son loves the school and we love everyone there. The community is outstanding! Other parents never just walk by you. They come and greet you and know your child, too. The staff does as well. Security is amazing and their academics are terrific. Spanish is being taught 1st-8th grade. Wonderful school. The principal and staff rock and the teachers are amazing. Send your kid there. We're also part of the parish and it has the exact same feeling.

Posted December 7, 2012

My son started kindergarten at St. Elizabeth this year and our family has been extremely happy with the experience! Based on our research, attending the open house and touring the school, we knew that it was the right school for us but we fell in love with the school even more once he started attending and we felt an immediate connection to the other families and faculty. My son loves going to school and is thriving in his classroom. He is learning not only the academic material we had expected but a wide range of things from how to greet people when you meet them, how to ask problem solving questions, and how to speak in front of his class. The spirit of St. Elizabeth school is amazing! The traditions, the connections, the faith and the energy are above and beyond what we ever imagined!

Posted December 2, 2012

My husband and I chose St. Elizabeth for its secure, nurturing, and structured environment. We felt instantly welcomed by the other parents as well as by the staff and faculty. My daughter's teacher was a godsend in helping her transition to her new environment. The academic curriculum is challenging without being ridiculously overwhelming and I feel that my daughter is getting a quality education and will be ready for high school. One thing I really like about the school is its extra curricular programs. Theatre, choir, chess, sports, arts, dance, etc. My daughter has blossomed in the past 3 years and has found the confidence to try a variety of different things. The art teacher is fantastic and not only teaches the kids, but also teaches ceramic classes for adults (the school has its own kiln). The principal and teachers are accessible and really want their students to succeed. I highly recommend this school. Come to our open house and see for yourself!

Posted November 16, 2012

After an extensive search of both private and public area schools, my husband and I chose St. Elizabeth for our daughters. We made this choice because of the amazing school community, the excellent and dedicated teachers, the strong principal whom we believe in and support, the challenging academic programs, and extensive extra-curricular activities. St. Elizabeth provides all the above while maintaining their focus on GOODNESS and EXCELLENCE in their students, faculty, and community. This is the school experience that I always pictured for my family, yet feared I wouldn't find it in this geographical area. It is here at St. Elizabeth.

Posted November 16, 2012

St. Elizabeth has been a Godsend to my family. With its sense of community and family, it has been a safe and nurturing learning environment for my children. Although small in stature, the educational advantages are huge; small learning environment, computer lab, art room, music, theatre, etc. My daughter is in her last year, and I also have a kindergartener! Ready to do the whole thing one more time

Posted November 16, 2012

My children have been at St. Elizabeth for six years. We are really pleased with everything. The academics are great - lots of super teachers who engage the students in all subjects. My son who used to hate to read has declared that he loves literature now! The art and music teachers also expose them to the fine and performing arts so they're well-rounded. With a variety of electives in Junior High, the students can pick areas to focus on that are of particular interest to them. Most of all, I love the families with whom I share important values, area always willing to pitch in, and reflect the diversity of our society.

Posted February 24, 2011

St. Elizabeth has strong academic programs in a safe and caring environment. The principal is a truly gifted educator. Staff's credentials are impressive, but more importantly teachers are able to get to know every child and teach creatively and engage the children. Art and music are important parts of the curriculum. The school is committed to teaching children about service to others, which we really value. St. Elizabeth is a welcoming community that truly values its families.

Posted February 23, 2011

St. Elizabeth has a very deep and broad curriculum and lots of extracurricular activities (chess club, sports, dance, academic decathlon to name a few). It also has a before and after care program that's great for working parents. Tuition is so much more affordable than other private schools in the area.

Posted February 23, 2011

The community of St. Elizabeth is what I love most about the school. I was impressed when 8th graders knew my Kindergartener. The teachers are innovative and caring. Parents are really involved and go above and beyond consistently! There are solid academics - including science lab and computer classes. The art teacher does amazing things with all ages. My kids have loved going to the musicals the upper grades put on and sing in the choir now too. I can't imagine being at any other school!

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Jr High Academic Decathlon, Super Quiz 7th Place (2012)
  • Cathedral Bowl, Logic Quiz First Place (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Top 5 contributor to Missionary Childhood Association (2012)
  • Top 5 contributor to Missionary Childhood Association (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Jeanette Cardamone
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (626) 797-6541

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Differentiated Instruction
  • Standards-based

• Arts (all)
  • Foreign languages
  • Religious
  • Social justice
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School psychologist
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Pasadena Unified School District

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Decathlon

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom