George Mayne Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted December 18, 2013

My sons kinder garden teacher is poorly organized and lesson plan needs work . keeps saying she can't do her job without help during school hours and has the Spanish speaking parents to help her out and just gives them work to do prior to kids starting class , she is rude when the mothers can't stay to help since they've got jobs or kids at home . There's a lady that makes rules up of when and where to pick up students and every time we've complained to the school office they say there's no school rule stating that. My son usually comes home telling about other children bullying him and we have talked to the teacher but nothing has happened .(bully kids still there bullying) There is very approachable lady that all the kids love and you can see why , she's happy and gets gets kids motivated and involved to do their tasks. Cleanliness is good Few happy staff members/teachers The school principle is very nice and ethical and professional . Over all experience : it's a public school in alviso so you can't expect much from staff they do what then can,it would help to be better organized and have a happy state of mind while at work.

Posted October 14, 2013

School has potential to be great, great principal who is bringing new ideas and staff that is dedicated to better students. Lack of support from parents, office staff that is unorganized and facilities that could use some TLC holding the school back from being great.

Posted September 9, 2013

Well our school is a title 1 school so we are very limited to the things that we have for the needs of our student's, or the financial help from parents. Our school can use some remodeling or up dating to it being so old. But overall it's a great school with great staff. .

Posted December 20, 2012

pre school students were yelled most of the time. I personally witnessed this during a library visit and teachers need to be more friendly. they just did not seem to be happy to teach. how sad!!

Posted November 3, 2012

I have to agree some teachers may be rude, but not all of them are. Some has teached me and prepared me for life like Mr. Corbin. He is my favorite tteacher. He teached me about how life goes on and he teaches me how tto dance. I reccomend him as a really good teacher.

Posted August 10, 2012

Some teachers are very rude and tend to favor students. Some of the volunteers are mean to the children as well. You can't even choose where to sit during lunch! The helpers force the students to fill in the lunch tables row by row, thus sometimes separating the kids from their friends and they are forced to eat with strangers. Also, I see no reason why there should be uniforms. This isn't a private school and isn't exactly a "high class" school.

Posted June 30, 2009

Mayne is a wonderful school! Last year was our family's first year at Mayne and we couldn't be happier. The teachers have high expectation and support ALL students. The students are respectful and very well-behaved. In a community with a lot of needs, Mayne is meeting them. There are lots of field trips and support programs to ehlp all of our kids learn. This is a great school!

Posted March 20, 2009

All of my children either went or goes to school @ gm. I have to say the schl is starting to become more about the adults & their power struggles betwn 1 another then the best interest of our children & the future of our cntry. Parents & teachers need to understand rather our cntry has the $ to ed. Our children or not it is still our responsibility to continue the education @ home. The school is all about gossip & a bunch of staff just talking badly about each other this needs to stop & we need to work this out positively. It doesn't take money to spread love & knwledge. Parnts need to undrstnd that we live in a very busy cntry now. In order to survive you need to keep up the pace. If we dnt pave the way for our children then they will pave

Posted March 19, 2009

My son attends school here, and although I loved the kindergarten and first grade programs (they were merged together in one class - sounds weird, but it worked really well) things are now sliding downhill. I volunteer often, and I sad for many of these kids whose parents don't even care enough for their safety to drop them off at the sidewalk, and rather let them out of the car in the middle of the road. Just speaks to the level of attention that parents seem to pay their children. The older they get, the more they become their parents.

Posted July 27, 2008

The students here always swear and are very rude! My son was always bullied and intimidated by the students. Although, the teachers are okay, but I would never recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 26, 2007

I love George Mayne. My daughter attended another school for three years and it was a horrible situation for her. Since moving to George Mayne things have tremendously improved. The teachers take the time to help children who need it. There are many programs offered for children who also need additional help. I am proud to say that my daughter goes to George Mayne.

Posted August 22, 2007

I have to say I'm getting just a tiny bit happier with the school each year, although I'm still not completely happy. My soon to be 5th grader has one of the schools best teachers, Ms. Code. I havent really had a chance to meet my kindergadeners teacher, Mrs. Diane but the intro to kindergarden class was a great idea. the school will be under a new principal this year and I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I don't recommend Mayne to anyone...to much of a roller coaster ride!!!

Posted August 21, 2007

I am a foster mom, and one of my Foster child needed alot of attention upon entering in to Kindergarten and George Mayne Elementary offered us a Intro to Kindergarten which was a tremendous help! My Child is now ready and excitted to be going to school. The teacher was understanding patient & kind. Thank you

Posted January 8, 2007

Mayne might want to get back to what's important. The kids! Not scores! My personal favorite is corbin scott the best teacher ever! Everyone should be like corbin!

Posted September 26, 2006

I have not been happy with Geoge Mayne at all. I'm not sure where the problem lies at Mayne, but it must be fixed! I think the school is so caught up with trying to increase the API score, that they are lacking the individual attention, and warmth that each child needs and deserves. There are no extra curricular activities. One good thing, is they have a nice after school program that is free from the City of San Jose. I would not recommend George Mayne to anyone.

Posted June 9, 2006

This is my first year teaching at George Mayne, & I can't say enough good things about it. The staff is amazing, and the students work extremely hard. Just look at the test scores over the past few years! I am continually impressed at the level of instruction, and focus on teacher development to help our high English Language learners & at-risk kids. There are so many programs offered, too - Homework Club, FSEA (Future Scientists & Engineers of America), Girl Scouts' Well-Being Program, San Jose's After School program, as well as sports like football & volleyball. There is a Youth Activity Center on site that offeres summer and after school programs, and the community library is a 3 minute walk away. The teachers here are so dedicated and generous with their time, too.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 25, 2006

The overall success of George Mayne should not just be put on the school. Parents need to be involved in what, when and how they are learning. Parent involvement doesn't just mean sitting in your childs class. I have had issues as well but I make myself be heard.......

Posted March 21, 2006

George Mayne is a good school. Taking in consideration all the funds that have been taken away from all schools in California, the school has after school sports like vollyball and football. Kids get to compete with other schools in the district, and learn to feel good about themselves even when they don't win, and to work as a team wich is important in the real world. They count with really good teachers that will work with parents and kids to make sure every kid in their classrooms get a good education. I had problems with one of my kids not doing his homework,and since I work most part of the day, it was hard for me to keep a track of the homework he was doing. The teacher helped me by talking to me in a daily basis about his homework, and how to improve his performance.High teacher-parent communication.

Posted September 15, 2005

This school has teachers that love to teach and take great pride in their jobs and their students achievments. I am proud to have my two children go to this school. Their Academic Performance Index (API) Growth is improving each year!

Posted September 13, 2005

My son is in kindergarten at George Mayne. We were hesitant to send him there at first, but he loves his teacher and is having a very positive experience. My son is in Mr. Tai's class and is learning some great social skills from him. He is the perfect teacher for my son. I get the feeling that the level of parent involvement is low, but it is still early in the year. Although they have one day a week for singing time, I wish they dedicated more time to music. The academic statistics show drastic improvement over the past few years. So, overall we are surprisingly pleased with George Mayne so far.

This school's

+18

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students61%

Students with no reported disability57%
English learner46%
Fluent-English proficient and English only70%
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduate54%

• Joseph McCreary
Fax number
  • (408) 423-1780

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5030 North First Street