Anaheim High School

Public | 9-12 | 3337 students

Living in Anaheim

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $295,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted November 28, 2010

I am an alumni and would have loved to send my children to Anaheim, but we chose to move out of the District because the schools were not favoring well about ten years ago. Two of our four graduated from a highschool in a more affluent district, and are now in college. We have since moved back home to Anaheim, and have enrolled our two youngest in the Anaheim public school system; one in elementary and one in high school. My 14 year old had a memorable year as a freshman at Anaheim High and made great relationships with his teachers and coaches. He also met some terrific kids who come from really good families. We are waiting for GATE test results for our youngest, and are hopeful that will work out in his favor. Your child can prosper at any high school if he/she wants to. The school is just a building, but a building with lots of tradition that you will not find at any other school in the city of Anaheim. The alumni are dedicated to Anaheim High School, and that in and of itself sets this school apart from the rest of the school in Anaheim. I am very excited that my 14 year old will get to make great memories, as I did, at AHS.

Posted November 9, 2010

Anaheim High School was built over one hundred years agon on the standard of excellence and accomplishment. But over time, the community has ceased to meet this standard and has slowly started giving up on their children's educations. But the teachers here at Anaheim are amazing; they are the best people I've ever met. They are determined and motivated to push their students towards excellence and want all of their students to succeed. The teaching faculty is simply the best there could be, they are the most deserving and caring people there can be. If Anaheim wins even a little money, it can drastically change the scope of the school and will undoubtedly benefit the students and teachers.

Posted July 20, 2010

My son will be entering his junior year. I find this school has really improved their standards as I myself use to attend and graduated with Honors from Anaheim. The staff is much more involved and have tighten their and tightened their rules from when I was a student there. Their couseling department has many programs for college bound kids! The school campus looks better than I can remember. Its now up to the students to put in their efforts to make Anaheim what is alwauys should have been!!

Posted February 18, 2010

This is a fairly good school. Our kids seem to be doing quite well. As parents we make sure to follow their grades on Zangle and if they start to slip we get right on them. They enjoy playing sports and know in order to do that they have to have the grades. Kids are going to get out of school what they put in. Regardless of whether they go to Anaheim or any other high school, ultimately the decision will be theirs on if they want to graduate or not. If they are not there learn and look into a positive future they will set themselves up to fail. I've seen kids from broken homes make it because they have the will and drive to do it. My only problem with Anaheim is that there is not enough parent participation.

Posted October 1, 2009

Its the best school in the district and the students are great and the teacher as well are awesome!

Posted August 25, 2009

Well, after reading all of the written reviews of other former students and past alumni, as well as parents I understand why it is that people feel like this school is lacking parental involvement because I also believe this. I am a cheerleader at this school for the 09/10' yr and I would REALLY love to see students get MUCH more school spirited. I moved from another school my junior yr (08/09 school yr) and I was saddened by the complete lack of SCHOOL SPiRIT!!! I would definately change the school's reputation and maybe even get some if the parents involved! The school has FINALLY been remodeled and I am very very excited for the 09/10' schoolyear!! My last, and hopefully my best out of the two yrs I will have been attending. Let's go Colonists!! :)

Posted April 30, 2009

Hello everyone, I am a current student in Anaheim High School. Anaheim High School is a fairly good school. The student involvement is Excelent. I am a Cheerleader and from my point of view, the teacher involvment and the Principles involvement is verry good as well. When we have pep rallies everyone goes and supports our shool. When we had the bell game, everyone was there supporting our school and our football players. Eventhough we lost, our hope was present and still is to this day. And as for perents who think that this is a bad school, consider this it is not the schools fault that your student cannot over acheve their goals. You are what you are no mater what school you attend. And if you are not capable of putting your 110 percent into making the best out of what you have, i feel sorry for you.

Posted April 30, 2009

Im currently enrolled in AHS. I will be graduating this year. I have been coming to this school for four year now, an i agree that parents are some of the cause in why students do bad but its also the teachers, and the students lack of learning. I am a capable person but some teacher just have that bad aura that you are scared to talk to them...I believe a good teacher is a fun one but knows how to get to the point, a very open minded person as well. he/she has to be wiling to help as many times as asked too. and always be cheerful. also if they are asked a question they should be able to respond or debate us to the fullness so we can learn well communication skills.

Posted February 7, 2008

The only problem at this school is that it is packed! but it's an awesome school we have great school spirit the teachers are there early in the morning till late after school to help you that's why i don't get why the test scores are so low. Students that are in danger of failing have a lot of oppotrtunities not to fail and even when they fail they can take zero period 7th period night school and summer school all the subjects are available for them to take unlike in other districts. once a colonist always a colonist!

Posted December 24, 2007

I am a teacher here at Anaheim High School I have and never seen such a dedicated group of teachers that genuinely care about their student's success. They come to school early and stay late. Tutoring is available to all students and many teachers are available at lunch for make up work. You have to do nothing in order to fail as a student there. Take advantage of all the help that is out there for you and you will do well.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 23, 2007

As a current student, I noticed almost all the teachers are just burned out from the unmotivated students (caused by the lack of parent involvement). It's frustrating because they're excellent teachers, but most of their passion is gone. And passionate teaching makes a world of difference.

Posted July 20, 2006

AHS has incredibly dedicated teachers. Unfortunately, many of the students are underachieving due to various reasons. First, the lack of involvement of the parents contributes to the underachievement of the students.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 8, 2005

Not only am I am parent of students at this school I am also an alumni. Anaheim used to have great pride and spirit..not only the students but the staff as well. It is sad to say that is not the case today. The school has paint chipping off everyplace. The underclass cheerleaders are not even allowed to wear school colors but are made to wear colors of our long time rival. When things do get fixed it is done half way and will need to be redone as it wasnt done correctly, this is a waste of money that could be used on the kids...I am dissapointed in the school as a whole.

Posted July 17, 2005

I am a student at AHS and i just dont see why our API scores are so low. Now, maybe its because I'm part of the Principal's Honor Roll students but, I just can't see why my fellow classmates don't raise their scores. The teachers are incredible. They are always there to help you, and there are many different levels of classes for all students so they can acheive the most at their level. The Drama department rocks. Our drama teacher is great, and I mean GREAT. She knows what she is doing and helps us mold our craft. As part of the Drama club cabinet and being in her class for a year, we do a lot of fun things. We have our annual trips to Universal Studios and the Lion King, as well as other performances.

Posted June 7, 2005

I think the quality is not the best but its better than other schools I know. Theres some restrictions on extracurricular activities because of funding but the students manage to raise the money and so do the parents.

Posted September 14, 2004

I think parents need to get more invovled. If the parents would get involved, the school would be very competitive in every aspect and AHS would meet state standards. I attended AHS from 1980 - 1984, two of my children have graduated AHS, AHS is not the school it use to be. My youngest child is currently attending AHS, I will not make the same mistake of not getting involved as I did with my older two children. AHS is a great school and is improving every year, let's make the following better by getting involved as parents...

Posted March 22, 2004

What a nightmare? I moved from New York to Anaheim and what I discovered was the most frightening experience. I didn't know such schools existed prior to going to Anaheim. It's the worst school I had ever seen. It was more like a prison than a school. They took their zero tolerance policies a bit far. The lockers were off limits to students because of trust issues. Students had to carry all their books around. The entire school was locked in after 9am, and didn't open up til 230pm. The teachers were more like prison guards than teachers. They taught not academics but discipline.

Posted December 7, 2003

I feel as though our principal has no involvement with the students in Anaheim High School. In the past three years that I have attended Anaheim High I have never seen our 'principal' attend any sport event or any type of school function. But yet he wants the student body to be involved and supportive of school functions.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

523 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

501 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

796 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

242 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

338 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

745 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

744 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

779 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

236 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

728 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

757 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students9%

Parent education - not a high school graduate38%
Parent education - high school graduate47%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)43%
Parent education - declined to state51%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students26%

Parent education - high school graduate50%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)57%
Parent education - declined to state56%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

800 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

791 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

• Anna Corral
Fax number
  • (714) 772-6537

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now