Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Esperanza High School 2

Posted May 23, 2016
The issues start and end with the Principal. The Principal's job is to ensure the safety of students during school hours. Students from other campus' are entering the EHS campus at will and when the principal was advised of this, via phone calls and email messages, he chose to ignore it. In fact, he stated that he must have deleted the messages all together. This is not how a leader should have handled a situation. This "leader" of EHS does not take the time to listen to the parents concerns regarding the safety and well being of the students. I would like to see the PYLUSD step in and handle this situation for the well being and safety of the students and to ease the minds of the parents who choose to send their kids to EHS. Parents, students, community members of Yorba Linda, let's stand together to make changes for our students.

Esperanza High School 2

Posted May 22, 2016
The school rating of a 9 is grossly overrated. The teachers do a great job with the students and the sports programs are excellent but its the leadership starting with the Principal Dr. Fox that is the issue. The Principal is responsible for the students safety. On more than two occasions Dr. Fox was notified about students from other schools and non-students that were expelled from this school coming onto the campus at lunchtime and after school. He choose to ignore this major concern and misplace emails to this effect however the problem still lingered. The PYLUSD is a fantastic district but Dr. Fox needs to go and run the campus where he listens to parents and is truly concerned about the students safety from kids outside of the campus. Until this issue is resolved by replacing him with a great leader, I would only give this school a rating of 7. Please voice your opinion and lets make change where change is needed and that's student safety.

Posted August 21, 2013
The Good: World History teacher is phenomenal. His standards, expectations, and methods of composition are unmatched. The Bad: D = Diploma! EHS focuses on the 40% of students that push themselves hard enough to gain University admission upon graduation AND their overall school rating. News Flash: those students would achieve regardless; EHS cannot take credit for that. EHS needs to focus on the average kids and stop pushing them off onto community colleges (other 60% of graduates). I would like to see how many of those 60% actually completed a university program. Community colleges are a great gateway to a university, however, most students are underprepared. The 60% of unsuccessful non-CSU qualified students outweighs the 40% that are university bound and creates a negative. This is not just an EHS problem, it is a State problem. I realize that EHS is just a player in the political game but unfortunately, if you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Don't worry though, in the State of California, and Esperanza, you can graduate high school with all D's. Hopefully parents will expect more from their children and will pierce the veil.

Posted June 01, 2013
the principal at this school is unwilling to listen to any concerns or issues brought on by student or parent. He does his "investigating" of his staff & has his mind made up that there automatically right. all he cares about is the reputation of the school. And thats just wrong! Its about the kids but when someone doesnt listen to a clear concern,,makes me wonder y your a principal, and makes u think wait if the principal is like that, do i really want my kids going to that school with that type of "leadership?"

Posted December 22, 2012
The Principal/school leadership is rude and unwilling to listen to legitimate parental concerns, the Theatre Arts department is a complete disappointment. These two major flaws made it hard to fairly evaluate other aspects of the schools programs

Esperanza High School 4

Posted June 10, 2012
Regarding the post made during January 2012, I am also a student taking multiple AP classes including AP Language Arts. I would like to point out the fallacious nature of that previous post. I have seen and know for a fact that our AP Language Arts (APLA) teacher was in the classroom teaching for more than a quarter and a half, whereupon she had to leave for health reasons. A very apt substitute was chosen to take her place, who has long term subbed for another APLA teacher before. The administration of Esperanza High School has done an exemplary job of dealing with these unforeseen crises. If you are reading this, please do not take into consideration this extenuating circumstance in your holistic consideration of whether Esperanza is the right high school for your child. Thank you.

Esperanza High School 3

Posted January 30, 2012
I am a student at Esperanza High School taking AP English and several other rigorous courses, and although I have been at Esperanza for a short duration of time, I am still extremely disappointed in the quality of Esperanza's Language Arts program. For any student or parent, regardless the circumstance, it is a terrible disappointment to know that the teacher has been in the class less than 5% of the Semester. Since my attendance, I have met my teacher TWO times. Other students have told me that she is rarely in the classroom. With such an array of substitutes, (and I must say that I do give credit to the substitutes), there has been actually very little teaching done! It is incredulously absurd! For approximately 20 minutes, we do Silent Sustained Reading of a book of our choice, then complete fill-in-the-blank worksheets, fill out precis, vocabulary, etc. Although we are assigned a book every quarter, we do not discuss the book. Absolute. You must understand that there is absolutely VERY LITTLE student-teacher interaction regarding the academics and course fundamentals! In point blank, WE DO NOT LEARN ANYTHING. Something must be done!!!

Posted September 17, 2009
I have had 2 students come through Esperanza, and have been thrilled with the school. The administration and counselors have been great and really helped my son through some tough times. They were always willing to listen. The teachers pushed my kids to excel. The extra curricular oportunites seemed endless. You'd be lucky to go there!

Esperanza High School 4

Posted June 23, 2009
Ok I go to Esperanza High, its a really good school. There aren't many fights (thats a good thing for you parents out there). The teachers are nice. Its just too crowded but luckily they are building a new high school in Yorba Linda. Also there's a program for failing students it's called S.E.R.V.E. It helps students with homework and we do lots of fun stuff on Fridays. We talk about stuff thats happening around us and stuff that happened to us in the past it's called Time Line Of Loss and we could get one on one time with Mr. Lopez (the teacher) and in that class you get to know lots of people...like people you would never talk to. In that class we are a family. We go on feild trips. The last one went to was the Museum Of Tolerance (It is a sad place to visit) I think it's a good school and S.E.R.V.E. makes it better because Mr. Lopez helps students so we can graduate (and some students thought they wouldn't be able to graduate high school because of thier grades in the past) thanks Mr. Lopez for being there when we all need you. EHS S.E.R.V.E.! Go Aztecs!

Posted May 31, 2009
I have two students at Esperanza High; both sophomores. So far, I would rank this school as 'average' in academics and social programs. My greatest disappointment is with the counselors. Trying to get the time of day with them is impossible. I thought the counselors were supposed to 'counsel' not just process schedules and paperwork.

1830 North Kellogg Drive, Anaheim, CA  92807-1218
Last modified Esperanza High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.