Glenview Elementary School

Public | K-6

Posted February 3, 2013

We love Glenview Elementary. Our new principal, Mr. Plascencia, is fabulous. He is a fair and caring disciplinarian. He is out around campus interacting with students, teachers, and parents. We have been at Glenview with three children since 2007. We transfer our children to attend this school. We have been pleased with the time spent by our children in the classes of Mrs. Mell, Mrs. Leiken, Mrs. Burguan, Ms. Doke, Mrs. Sullivan, Mrs. Dominguez, Mrs. Flenniken, Miss Olson, and Mrs. Bradley.

Posted January 2, 2013

My daughter went here when she was a kinder. Not a diverse school, more towards the middle to upper class. Therefore, if you are toward the lower class and has a child that struggles, the school won't provide much support. They are more focus on test scores and how to get rid of those who are not at the level. We had to transfer her to another school in order to get the help she need. Plus, there aren't that much diversity on the staff end so expect to feel out of the water and gang up upon; if you are a different nationality.

Posted March 10, 2011

I moved to this school district in 2006 my older daughter who is now 15 started 6th grade here, her teacher was not the most aptitute, he was not as aware of what was going on as I think a teacher should be, the kids at the school however were EXTREMELY mean spirited and continue to be until this day, as I still have a 9 yr old there, while my 9 yr old daughter had a great 1st grade teacher Mrs. Doke, she was AMAZING, and her 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Dominguez was just as amazing, as to her teacher this yr Mrs. Finn, she leaves something to be desired, my daughter comes home crying everyday and I am told by other childfren in the class that she is always yelling at my child, and she uses sarasm as a way to deal with her, saying things like "thanksfor being so helpful, go pull your yellow card. I had a discusion with her about is, which she was yelling at me on the phone, very unprofessional, telling me she didn't hate my daughter, which I had NEVEr stated that to her. I have asked my daughter be put in another class but to no avail, after today though I WILL NOT be allowing my daughter to go to that classroom again. VERY DISSAPOINTED IN THIS SCHOOL!!!

Posted September 17, 2009

Both my sons have attended this school since we moved to Yorba Linda in 2007. I have seen both my sons grow academically since they began attending Glenview. As to extracurricular activities, I agree that is not the administrator's primary responsibility. The quality of the education is the most important. Both my sons attended chess club and enjoyed it. The principal has been very supportive of Cub Scouts, so I feel the comment about the principal not supporting clubs and such is not accurate. Maybe the parent who posted that comment should do something about it, if they feel strongly enough to post a negative review. Maybe they should volunteer to lead a club.

Posted February 7, 2009

Funny that I should have a chance to write this comment as I came across this site while researching for a new school for my son. Glenview has become a real disappointment. Our principle sets the pace for the teachers and they have taken the fun for learning out of the school. It is run like a detention center and not a school for young children to grow and learn.

Posted September 18, 2008

The teachers are nice and care about the kids' education. However the administration is focused on decreasing liability rather than increasing education.

Posted August 23, 2008

I agree with the last posting. My children have attended Glenview since K and they are doing great. The primary roll of the principal is to see that they are educated in a safe environment. Exta activities are the responsibility of the PTA and parents. We have a great PTA and a list of activities that happen over and above the regular school program. No sure what some of the parents are expecting? Let's understand what the function of the school is.

Posted August 21, 2008

My children have been at Glenview for the past 4 years, and the principle and my family have had many great interactions. If the parents would like to see more extra curricular activities, I suggest they show up and contribute to the PTA to help raise money for these activities.

Posted May 17, 2008

My children have attended Glenview for awhile. We have seen changes with the principals and the current one has cut off many activities the school used to have. He lacks interaction with the children and parents.

Posted February 27, 2008

I do not think the school is really all that great. The fact that the class sizes are so large really takes away from the kids. I am not really impressed by the teachers either. We have had a couple great teachers though.

Posted January 10, 2008

My children attend Glenview School and love their teachers. The office staff is warm and friendly and teachers are very knowledegable. The principal's primary goal is the learning and safety of the children.

Posted August 28, 2007

I truly agree with the parents regarding our Principal. My children are 2nd generation Glenview students, we have had great teachers and school staff. But our current principal has somehow managed to remove all extra programs! No 5th grade Pilgrim trip no 6th grade camp!

Posted August 20, 2007

Glenview is a great school. The staff and office are great. I was very suprised to read comments about the principal as he is excellent. He is very good with the students and is visable at all times. He works well with parents and has gotten behavior under control. He does interact with students and does regularly speak with them. This is a great school and I and my kids are very happy there.

Posted August 15, 2007

Glenview is a great school. My children have attended for 10yrs and up until the new principal came in they were all happy. He doesn't seem to like extracurricular activities.

Posted July 18, 2007

Glenview has a great teaching team. All the teachers my children have had are great and communicate with the parents. However I am disappointed with the principal. I have yet to see him talk casually to the kids and I have never seen him at lunch or recess 'hanging out' on the playground. I would like to see him interact more with the students.

Posted June 26, 2007

With the exception of the current principal, we have really enjoyed being at Glenview and the overall ability and personality of the teaching staff. I would like to see more parental involvement, not just the same folks helping out all the time. I feel we need more extracurricular activities, like perhaps a chess club. Maybe putting on a play during the year would be nice and help raise funds for other activities. I give our school an 8!

Posted March 27, 2007

Teachers at Glenview are top-notch and took very good care of our son, while providing him with an excellent education. We personally were not pleased with the new principal which is why we can't rate the school a 10 anymore. Extracurricular activites are lacking also, but again the great teachers there make up for it.

Posted September 11, 2006

I have two children attending Glenview. The teachers are outstanding. The office staff is friendly and helpful. The new principal is very involved with everything and does a great job with the students, staff and the PTA. I would highly recommend this school to anyone moving to this area. Glenview truly is a great school with a highly motivated PTA and staff.

Posted January 11, 2006

We left Glenview because of a move, but it was the first school my kids went too. They are like family there. They will help you when you need help, and the teachers are top of the line. I can only speak for K-2, but I love this school, and think they will leavce a mark on your childs life. My kids miss there teachers there, and think they are the best they have ever had. Good job glenview.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 29, 2005

My daughter attended this school until the 5th grade when we moved. I was involved with the PTA and found 99% of the teachers fantastic. (The one should have been fired long ago but tenure rules, you know) All the teachers my daughter had were fantastic and very approachable. My daughter excelled at this school and is doing great in junior high. Many of the subjects she studied at Glenview she is now repeating at her Jr. High. I found the teachers very receptive when she needed assistance in certain areas. Any problems I encountered were political and are found at all schools.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students53%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1775 Glenview Avenue