No rating

Independence Christian School

Private | K-8 | 135 students

Our school is best known for giving personal attention to each student

Living in Anaheim

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $426,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,080.

Posted August 6, 2014

this school staff, director and teachers are great, even though I feel the first grade teacher needs to be a little more graceful, and the overall staff needs to practice ZERO tolerance for bulling, or making feel other kids lesser,for diverse reasons among each other,... though teachers are not entirely responsible for what parents are or aren't teaching their own children at home.I would recommend this school and hope that the staff and teachers keep a closer eye in the words and actions being taught and passed on from kid to kid.

Posted April 17, 2014

I wish I could give zero star for not having High School program with this school. Both of my kids love this school. it's been four years, since my first child started kindergarten. this school has it all. Nice clean facility, low on teachers and staff turn over ratio ( happy teachers makes happy students), strong on academic yet they have a way with children to feel the achievements and makes them want to achieve more..which in results, both of my kids getting good grades and awards. But best of all is teaching children CORE value of christian which kids are applying in to their daily life. I just hope that they will have high school before my kids finished with their 8th grade. That's my main prayer these days.

Posted February 28, 2014

I'm very fortunate to have my daughter to the preschool at this school she was happy to go to school, The staff and teachers are very friendly and professional, my daughter English no good, but teachers truly care for each child. Thank you very much

Posted September 13, 2013

My daughter has been attending since pre-school. We love the teachers and the values that are taught and exhibited. We are so blessed to have found this school. They have a great curriculum teaching everything using God's values.

Posted August 24, 2013

I Love that the whole school staff and teachers are so loveable,professional and is an excellent example of the love of God.Great teachings and christian values.I have my two girls enrolled there and they love it.

Posted August 7, 2013

Independence Christian School offers education for the individual. I have taught at I.C.S. for several years. My experience previous to teaching at this fine school included home schooling, private and public education. This experience includes my children's education and my own professional career as an educator. The staff at Independence Christian School cares about the individual student. This focus on the individual gives space for the home schooling part of me to be expressed. When public schools could no longer offer classrooms with 20 students per teacher the individual student's needs were not easily addressed. The staff at Independence Christian School responds to our students as individuals who are being transformed by Christ into students who care about developing their character. Independence Christian School is a place where Individuals Can Succeed!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 7, 2013

ICS is committed to each and every child. Starting at the top with the principal all the way down to the parent volunteers, everyone has made us feel like family. The teachers are very involved and answer e-mails and phone calls about my student when I need it. I have not been more impressed with any other school for my children or for myself. I would love to see ICS grow and offer High School classes.

Posted August 6, 2013

My family will be attending ICS this coming school year. From the first day we met with ICS we have felt welcomed and they have gone above and beyond to help us through the transfer. ICS has also worked with us and our children to make sure the fit is good, and they have already worked individually with each child based on their individual personalities and challenges. If this is an indication of what is to come we foresee a blossoming relationship. We look forward to the coming year! Thank you ICS!

Posted August 5, 2013

Excellent school! My three children all attended ICS. We have loved the teachers, principal and staff.

Posted August 3, 2013

We moved here 2 years ago and this school has been an answer to prayer. The faculty and teachers truly care for each child. The teachers are helpful and full of live for the kids. My kids have thrived in the environment at ICS. Thank you!

Posted August 3, 2013

All five of my children have been a part of this wonderful school. We have been blessed over and over again by the respect, kindness, and sense of family that Independence has provided each year. God is definitely the Center in this school and His love shines through especially in the loving guidance of Principal Ron Cushing. My children love this school and so do I!!

Posted August 2, 2013

I have two children enrolled in the school. My son has attended this school since he was two years old (through the preschool) and is now ten years old and will be in fifth grade. My son has experienced both incredible accomplishments and very difficult times. I can honestly say that this school has been a very positive experience for our family. In our son's accomplishments, he has experienced praise from his teachers, confidence as an individual and encouragement from the school staff as to his future. In his difficult times, my son has received both discipline and love from the school staff, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, he has received prayer, encouragement and guidance to the road of redemption during these times from the school director, teachers and staff. This school not only focuses on academics (and believe me, my son is one intelligent cookie), but the school works on developing character in the children. There have been many ups and downs over the years, but never have the times been so down that we have thought another school would be better for our family. This school has been a very safe place for our children to learn, have fun and grow into leaders for the future.

Posted August 2, 2013

Im very fortunate to have my son at this school. he attended preschool and will be attending kindergarten, previously at a different daycar/preschool and I noticed the difference in him right away, he was happy and wanting to go to shcool, staff is friendly and professional. and very organized. their itinerary is very organized as well.

Posted August 2, 2013

We have been lucky enough to have found ICS for Preschool. Our daughter started when she was 2 years old and we stayed once she started elementary. Our entire family has loved each teacher we have been blessed to have and the daycare director Mrs. Dulong! We appreciate the high academic Christian based curriculum and the extra field trips and class projects that challenge the students.

Posted August 2, 2013

I have 2 children at ICS, one in preschool and one going into third grade this Sept. We love the school. All the staff are awesome!! The staff take the time to make sure all tge children's needs are met fully.

Posted August 2, 2013

Independence Christian School has been home to our family since my brother and I were about 6 years old. This is school has some of the most amazing teachers and facility working there. My daughter has the same first grade teacher as I did. There teachers are filled with wisdom and knowledge. They have after school daycare on site so its very easy for my work schedule. The school is very clean and I never worry about my daughter while my husband and I are working. I know she is loved and treated so good at ICS. We are forever grateful to ICS for giving my daughter the right education and loving our family as if it was there own. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 2, 2013

Independence Christian School is a school that seeks to help students grow and develop in all aspects: spiritually, emotionally, socially, and artistically, as well as academically. I have been teaching at Independence Christian School for a long time, and I know the dedication of the staff and their dependence upon God. These are very important aspects which help to set Independence Christian School apart from other schools in the area.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 2, 2013

Our son Has been attending ICS since he was 2 years old, I still remember the very old building many years ago, my son will be going to eight grade now and will need to attend other school next year. I know he will miss ICS because it was practically the place that he has become the young teen now, with values and respect to others, most of all the training to study and maintain his grades, and at the same time participating in sports. Thank you to all ICS teachers, for the wisdom and efforts providing our children the tools of knowledge for tomorrow, not only academics but spiritual values, and the Principal, who is there not only for the children but to hear and support the parents as well. I couldn't find better school to trust the education and safety of our son. ICS is the best. Submitted by a parent

Posted August 2, 2013

Independence Christian School has been a favorite school of our whole family for over 20 years! We are now in our second generation! My children and my nephews went there back in the mid 1990's. I am happy to say that my granddaughter attends this same school that her mother went to. That really means a lot. Many of the teachers are STILL there! These are dedicated, loving, Godly teachers that truly care about your child. The staff is equally as wonderful. Each child receives individualized attention and thrives in this environment. The daycare and summer program is phenomenal! The fieldtrips are well thought out and they are such an adventure for your child. The Principle, Mr. Cushing has been a huge part of my children and also my granddaughter's life and we are so blessed to have such an influence. I highly recommend Independence Christian School. The Lord has a lot of his "Angels" working there and your children will benefit from that!

Posted August 2, 2013

A small Christian school that really focuses on giving each student the attention they need. They truly show Christ's love to the students and teach them to be citizens that honor God and each other. This is a close knit family type school full of people that are nonjudgemental and supportive. We are grateful to have our daughter at this school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Ron Cushing
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (714) 970-0733

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Project-based

• Performing arts
  • Religious
  • Service learning
  • Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Improv
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Whittier Christian High School