Academy for Academic Excellence

Charter | K-12 | 1335 students

AAE is known for its innovative, safe, researched-based learning environment.

Living in Apple Valley

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $116,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014

It is amazing, the bad reviews and the negativity from parents on here. It's easy to be negative behind a computer screen & dole out criticism without the repercussion of saying it in person. My kids have gone to AAE for over 8 yrs & for the most part, we have been very pleased at the caliber of education being taught by these amazing teachers. To counter what one parent wrote re: students only being wealthy, athletic or related to staff...well, we are none of those & we STILL love it over at AAE. SURE, there are flaws, but you'll get that anywhere you go. One of the great things about this school: it's a CHOICE school. There are plenty of other options to pick from. This school might not fit the needs of every student. Your child DOES NOT have to attend here . Fact is, many kids come and love it here...a few realize it's not for them & they leave...& there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make the school bad. It's just not a fit for your kid. AAE is and has been a "fit" for us and we love it, we're blessed to be a part of such an amazing campus filled with caring teachers and administration that seek the best direction for the students.

Posted Saturday, August 16, 2014

I graduated from AAE this past June after attending the school for eleven and a half years, since first grade. Truly, I cannot imagine a better place to have grown up. I doubt that most people would refer to their school as the place that they "grew up," but, I think that there is no more accurate way to convey what my experience at AAE has meant to me. Academically, AAE served me incredibly well, with teachers that simultaneously held students to high standards but also made personal attention a priority to help us achieve such standards. Thanks to this combination, I am headed to UCLA next month to study biochemistry. Personally, AAE's students and staff truly made the school my home. Among the students, I developed a strong group of close friends, but still enjoyed amity with most of my classmates. While there were different social groups, there weren't cliques. Not only that, but now that I've graduated, I miss the staff greatly, with many of whom I developed what I know will be lasting friendships. AAE made me a student and a leader, and introduced me to a group of people with whom I have become family. In short, I wouldn't have gone anywhere else.

Posted August 13, 2014

I am responding to the writer who wrote that the AAE is getting worse and said, "There have been so many students and staff that have left, including the founder of the school," I am the Founder, Rick Piercy and this statement is intentionally misleading. Three years ago I began a transition plan for my retirement. After 35 years of teaching and 7 years with the State Park System I retired to spend time with my grandchildren, but continue to volunteer at the school as the Cross Country coach and Advisor to the Young Ambassador program. I felt secure in handing over the job I have had for 29 years because the school is doing exceptionally well with about 1,400 K-12 students and a waiting list of over 2,800. The comments made by this individual were in my opinion intentionally misleading and disingenuous. I welcome anyone to come and visit the campus and see for yourself. We never shy away from constructive criticism and work hard everyday to improve our school to benefit all of our students, but it is disturbing to see someone try and purposefully taint the works of so many outstanding parents and educators.

Posted August 8, 2014

The quality of education at AAE has progressively gotten worse, especially beginning in junior high and throughout high school. The athletic program and coaches have also declined. Good coaches have left, and poor role models have remained. There have been so many students and staff that have left, including the founder of the school, that the writing on the wall should be clear. There are better schools available in the high desert to choose from for both academics and athletics. Parents should seek those out for their children.

Posted August 7, 2014

This schools elementary is good, but as soon as you hit HS there's a wall. The good teachers leave do to low pay. The bad teachers stay and can't teach. It's a Math & Science school and every HS child I know had a personal tutor at home to teach what their class teacher couldn't. My senior wasn't prepared for the college assessments through the bridge program, which this school is the pilot for. There was no direction in the bridge program at all. They have a 1 to 1 laptop program which just went to 4-12 grade, with no advance notice to parents of 4th graders. You are required to purchase a laptop through the school or use one of their loaners and risk your child damaging it and you being responsible. My 5th grader had migraine headaches the entire first semester of 5th grade. Admin. likes to pluck parents off one by one instead of facing them together. This school is disappointing to say the least, and NOT at all what they claim to be. :( What another parent posted about faculty is absolutely correct, they are all family/friends and they are also afraid to speak up to admin for fear of being fired, as there's no union and completely at will. It's not what you know it's who.

Posted June 21, 2014

A very Sad experience ever. Have two girls and we are leaving this school. Can't allowed this people educate my children any more. Proctors are family or related to teachers or board of directors. You don't need to have a degree to teach in this school. The worst is one of the male proctors touch one of my girls and w reported to the principal and she did not do anything. (to sad). The rest are several things that you as parent will disapprove before you put your child in this school. Substitute teachers are present almost half of the year. So many thing I want to say but no space in this review. The waiting list they are proud of, is only a fraud. The reason the have this is only to have control of whom enter to school. Check this out : almost none of the neighborhood are attending the school. Everybody are related, family, friends, and people they want in the school. So very sad to post this. We are leaving with this experience. I hope they change. Good luck to parents looking for a great school for your children. One more thing the few good teachers they have; they are leaving and some a knew they are gone. Now to teach in this school you don't need a degree.

Posted April 10, 2014

This school is an absolute gem! I love that the teachers genuinely care about students. There is so much parental involvement that behavior issues are almost non existent. Its so easy to get a hold of staff members when you have concerns or questions. They staff keeps me very informed and treats me like a partner in my childs education. I honestly could not be any happier with this schools mission and values.

Posted April 8, 2014

AAE is one of a kind. Despite the rumors about requirements to succeed at this school being high affluence and athleticism, it is quite fair in those departments. Any awards achieved at this school has been earned. I have attended AAE since 7th grade and i honestly do not think there is anywhere I'd rather be. The culture of our small but might charter school is so unique and there is something to offer for everyone. In public schools the people who aren't 'popular' don't fit in, but at AAE everyone fits in. Another fantastic quality of AAE is the programs it offers like AFJROTC and ASB. The ASB advisor recently earned the "Teachers Are Heroes" award. The AFJROTC unit is about to receive their award of 'Distinguished Unit With Merit'. These two things alone prove how superb the staff, students and parents are at the AAE. I am confident in saying that the wait is well worth it.

Posted April 8, 2014

I am a parent of a lower elementary child. AAE had been a wonderful school. The staff is very caring & thoughtful. Individual needs of each child are met. I plan to continue here as long as possible with my children.

Posted February 28, 2014

I have been attending AAE for around four months, I transferred from a nearby school quite recently. At first, the school seems wonderful, small class sizes, other high school kids who are anxious to learn, and a lovely campus! It is quite enticing until the excitement of the school wears off. I came from GHHS where I worked tediously and earned my reputation as a great student, along with a reputation for my work in extracurricular activities and sports. This school has an established hierarchy that is based on appearance, wealth, athleticism, and whether or not you attend HDC. if you're looking to transfer to a new school in hopes of a fresh start and a chance to change yourself, I would highly advise those reading to look elsewhere. The school will not provide for the new students, but instead cater to the needs of the students who have been attending this school for many years or are athletic prodigies. Academically, AAE is inferior to other schools with limited AP classes and less-than-rigourous courses. The harder I look for redeeming qualities in this school, the less I seem to find. I hope any who read this will consider attending AVHS or GHHS if you want a chance to excel.

Posted February 19, 2014

I've been driving 30 minutes each way for 6 years. This school is worth it. We tried Victor Valley Christian and Encore. Neither school compared. This school has professional caring teachers and staff. For the most part the students are a great bunch of kids. The new gym is such a great addition. The music/band program and the video program are both wonderful. Mr. Sockwell and Mr. Orsinelli are amazing teachers. They both encourage each student they have in their programs.

Posted January 22, 2014

Congratulations to our AAE Air Force Junior ROTC instructors and cadets! The AAE AFJROTC has received an Exceeds Standards rating (the highest rating attainable) during their recent unit evaluation. Col. Armstrong and MSgt. Britt continue to create a dynamic and supportive learning environment coupled with an focus on service. Our instructors provide outstanding leadership in administering the cadet-centered citizenship program. The AAE cadets performed exceptionally well during the evaluation and always take great pride in leading and accomplishing their unit goals. The AAE Air Force Junior ROTC continues to be a shining example of our school's motto: Honor, Generosity, Courage!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 21, 2014

OMG...this school is AMAZING!!!! I'm a parent of an Honor Roll 8th grader who has attended the AAE since Kindergarten. She has made wonderful friends who are also focused on achieving their goals. Courage, generosity, and honor are paramount at this school. This is evident in the school culture and students. The community involvement amongst the students is mind-blowing. I am so honored and proud to be an AAE parent!! I wouldn't dream of having my child at any other school. Period. Thank you to all the wonderful staff and students at the AAE who show their best every day!

Posted November 20, 2013

i really think parents need to know that the wait list for this school is not worth the wait! beyond K-5 the novelty of this so-called "great school " will slowly wear off and you will see it major flaws when your children are at a crucial time going into their early teen years. the school cant get or keep quality teachers ,couselors/staff. phone calls & e-mails go un-returned.the big thing also to remember here at this school is status status status ! grades are great but they are far less important when you have plenty of money & play sports! but remeber if you want to do that make sure you get in good with the coach . and since many of the staff also have children of there own attending the school, youve got to also make sure your children befriend their children and all will be well . otherwise goodluck getting in with the in crowd . in all my years i have only seen the likes of what i have described here in movies or on tv . this school really puts the icing on the cake for discriminatory practices and favoritism . and just to clarify i am and have been a parent of honor roll students that are very athletic. i just feel the truth should be told .

Posted August 31, 2013

Great school. My kids attend this school one in 3rd and one in 1st. The teachers are the kindest most dedicated group you will find. Our parents are involved and pay attention to their kids. We have imperfections, but they are far outweighed by the greatness of our school.

Posted August 29, 2013

This is the best school in the valley. We have three children that attend and they all love it.

Posted August 29, 2013

Love, love, love this school. The staff has been incredible with my girls....I commute 30 miles each way and would never go back to the local school in my area.

Posted August 28, 2013

This school is horrible. The majority of the teachers are rude and the students are disrespectful. This is officially the worst school in the history of the universe.

Posted August 28, 2013

This is a great school! The Teachers and staff at this school truly care about the students. This school has the best students you will ever meet.

Posted August 28, 2013

Love this School! Love and Logic really works! Teachers and Staff are the best, very respectful and professional.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students69%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)79%
Parent education - college graduate74%
Parent education - declined to state67%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 22%N/AN/A
English language learners 3%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• College presentations or information sessions
  • Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Lisa Lamb
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (760) 946-0816

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• 1 to 1 Laptops (grades 5-11)
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • NASA

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parents & Pastries
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

17500 Mana Road