Apple Valley, CA

Desert Knolls Elementary School 1

Posted February 10, 2015
This school is such a disappointment. My son has been picked on and when I complained, I was told it would be handled, but it wasn't. As stated in a previous review, both the teacher and principal are incompetent and do not handle situations as promised. They try to put everything back onto the parent, but the issues are happening at the school! Even my son can tell his teacher doesn't like him- he told me "well, I guess she likes the smarter kids the best." I've been in her classroom and seen the favoritism. I never mentioned it to my son, but kids' can sense these things. The need to remove the current principal and get someone in that cares about all the students and does not lie or hide things to protect the teachers. Perhaps she's afraid of the teacher's union? I don't know, but I don't believe there will be a good universal change until the administration has been removed.

Posted December 31, 2014
Love it! Great school for my kids. they are happy here and excel in the gate program. Very pleased.

Desert Knolls Elementary School 1

Posted September 08, 2014
Nothing positive about this school. My kids have always been in private school & never had to deal w/ nonsense that comes w/ a public school until now. Only reason my children went to this school is b/c we are on temp. military orders & only in the area for 1/2 the school yr. In 1 mo. time, my child has been bullied repeatedly by the same child to the point I filed a police report for assault. Needless to say after 3 incidence, a police report & complaint to AVUSD, the kid was placed back in the same classroom & only b/c I complained AGAIN about my child's safety, my child was removed from the class as if he was the problem rather than the victim. The bully has repeatedly been protected, all disciplinary info. Always withheld & I'm always told "he's being dealt w/. "Both teacher & principle are incompetent & tell you they will handle it just to shut you up. I was raised in this area, I know what the schools "used" to be. Academically, children are not allowed room to grow & are restricted to only doing reading in their grade level even if they are advanced. Children need to be allowed to excel w/out restrictions. ----from a Completely disappointed Parent / College Professor.....

Posted August 22, 2013
My child has been attending since kindergarden. She loves her school, her teachers and is always ready to go and be with her BFF's as she says. I believe with all the improvements that has been made the classes are smaller and the teacher with their helpers and everyone you see helps each other out is nice. A lot different from where we come from although it was in the USA. I believe my daughter has more potential to grow here and not just become a number in the classroom. She is succeeding more than we ever imagined. Maybe it had something to do with the preschool we sent her to as well. Because if we hadn't sent her on our own $$$ we wouldn't have never even known about DK. We immediately went and transfered her into DK rather than the school she was suppose to go to. No regrets. Good to see the security is so good and put into action here. Very Happy also to see she started Algebra in the 1st grade which was like ugh ok! We know it's for her though to be ahead of the game when she graduates. Thank You Desert Knolls. We are glad we found you.

Posted May 01, 2012
My child has attended DKE for 4 yrs., and continues to grow both socially and academically. I have a younger child who will be starting Kindergarten next year and she can't wait! We have always stressed the importance of education, but have never pushed our children to fulfill some need of our own. The entire staff knows our family and treats us with respect and love, as we treat them. I choose to ignore parent's gossip about their experience with this school, as I am perfectly capable of making that choice myself. My children will finish their elementary education here at DKE and will have the skills and values needed to further their educational goals.

Posted December 29, 2011
My child has been at DK for 4 years and he LOVES it! He is a happy, well-rounded child - of course as parents that's what WE encouraged and expected. Too many parents bring in their own educational baggage when they bash a school, they look at their own kids with rose-colored glasses and everyone else is under the microscope. The new staff is caring and supportive and my pre-schooler can't wait to start next year!

Desert Knolls Elementary School 2

Posted November 07, 2011
My daughter has attended school here for 4 years, I have seen this school go downhill. I am pulling her out soon.

Desert Knolls Elementary School 4

Posted August 03, 2011
I have been very happy with this school. It is unfortunate that classes sizes can't change due to budget, but in my opinion that just means we need to do our part and help out! My son started 1st grade last year and has been given many opportunites to be eduacated at his level. I would recommend this school ! The new principal has brought a much needed excitment and structure to this school.

Desert Knolls Elementary School 3

Posted December 02, 2009
I am a little bothered that this school has 31 students per teacher. My daughter went to prechool next door and there was 1 teacher with 2 aides for 23 students. I loved the preschool program! Now my 5 year old is in kindergarten and they have extended the hours to a full day and a larger class size! I volunteer every week b/c I am a big part of her education. Her teacher does a wonderful job yet I find it hard for any teacher to give one on one attention with that many students. I am starting to wonder if I should home school her since she comes home exhausted. Education seems to be 2nd priority where $ is the 1st.

Desert Knolls Elementary School 2

Posted September 08, 2009
I too, had high hopes for this school. I have volunteered for three years and my son has been attending for four . The staff gets continually worse and so does the communication. I will be taking my son out this week, and it is too bad because he is an excellent student.

Desert Knolls Elementary School
18213 Symeron Drive, Apple Valley, CA  92307
Last modified Desert Knolls Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Knolls Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top