Rio Vista Elementary School

Public | K-8

Posted April 22, 2014

Love this school! Teachers are very competent and provide wonderful direction for students. My kids have received a great education.

Posted January 17, 2014

I wrote a review on 11/19/2013 saying how much I really wished all 3 of my boys were back at Rio! Happy to say, they're going back! Seriously parents, if you're thinking of taking your children to any other school in this HD, please, take it from me, I strongly suggest you don't. For parents looking for a great school, and by that, I don't just mean academically, a school with awesome teachers, a wonderful principal, friendly staff, involved parents, and terrific kids, Rio Vista is your school! Rio Vista is by far the greatest school in the HD!

Posted January 14, 2014

I just removed my child as he was NOT receiving needed instuction in Algebra. I have now placed him in a charter school in which he is receiving DAILY tutoring. HUGE IMPROVEMENT! If you care for your child, keep them OUT of the Apple Valley Unified School District!!

Posted November 14, 2013

Rio Vista is the best school in the desert by far! To the parent complaining about kinder homework, I believe my children's success in kinder was not from homework, but from review of sight words from flash cards, which were given to us by the teacher,as well as reading nightly with them. We counted everywhere and sang their shape songs with them, which they learned in school. We also worked together on their theme projects, which were assigned by the kinder teachers and put into a beautiful memory book, also by the kinder teachers.The teachers at Rio do an amazing job! We as parents need to support them by making sure we're working as hard at home with our children as they do with them at school.

Posted November 11, 2013

And btw, I strongly believe that the kinder teachers can step it up a notch. By this time they should all ready know how to read. That is something I expect coming out of kinder. Homework also shoul be assigned even though if it's just tracing it teaches the kids structure. I remember complaining in my children's previous school for giving them a 30 page packet for the week but know I see how my daughters excelled because of it. I'm nervous and feel like my son is being cheated because of the fact that they don't give the kinder kids hw!

Posted October 18, 2013

I LOVE this school. I don't agree at all with the other review about bullying at Rio vista. All 3 of my children attend school here, and I volunteer 3 days a week, so I am on campus ALL of the time. The kids, teachers, and principal are wonderful! There are a couple of teachers that should retire because they are clearly burnt out, but you will get that at any school. Overall, this is an amazing school and I'm happy to be a part of it!

Posted September 26, 2013

Our child just started Kindergarden and we have all had a wonderful experience! Our child is so eager to go to school, he loves his teacher and is doing much better than we expected. We are very happy with the interaction we have had with the teachers we have met. We are grateful for our experience.

Posted January 17, 2013

We had a horrible experience at this school and in dealing with the Apple Valley Unified School District. My child was bullied for 18 months straght and not one staff member seemed to notice or care. In addition to this, my daughter was physically pushed by the proctor who still remains employed at the school to this day. If you care for your children, you will place them at another school within a different school district.

Posted April 25, 2012

Since I have sent my 3 children to Rio Vista the wake up every morning eagerly want to go to school. Their attitudes when they get home are uplifting and have so much to say about their classmates and what they have learned that day. The encouragement from the priciple and teachers is a wonderful approach to pushing the children to succeed. 5 Stars from me ...Way to go Rio Vista Elementary school.

Posted March 31, 2012

We relocated to Apple Valley from Georgia when my son started 3rd grade. Coming from a highly ranked school system in Georgia, I was concerned that Rio Vista may fall short in meeting his academic needs. Now that he is in 5th grade, I have to say Rio Vista is academically sound! For the past 3 grade levels, my son has had fantastic teachers who have challenged him in the classroom. I have never met a principal like Mrs. Smith who is so involved with EVERY aspect of the school. She makes a point to not only know her students, but their parents as well. The front office staff is friendly and makes sure the parents feel welcome when visiting the school.The booster club and parental involvement is fabulous. The students are always recognized for their academic accomplishments. I am so excited to that Rio Vista will add 7th and 8th grade to the school.

Posted October 13, 2010

We have a fantastic staff and lots of parent volunteers. Both staff and parents make the kids #1 priority. All 3 of my children have gone to Rio Vista and I could not be happier about that!! Highly recommmend!! :)

Posted October 11, 2010

Teachers I have met seem to be real understandind with their grade level students and up to face challenges with each and every one.Teachers,Parents and students working together.

Posted August 25, 2010

My two kids (3rd and 5th grade) attended Rio Vista for one year and I have to say it was the best experience we had! The principle really gets involved with the parents and kids and they have a great incentive program encouraging the kids to work on trying hard. They make education fun and motivational. Great teachers too!!

Posted May 20, 2010

Rio Vista has awesome and caring teachers, parents and principal.

Posted May 20, 2010

Our school is not just a school, we are a family. Teachers, staff, and LOTS of parent volunteers looking out for each other. It is a great place to be.

Posted May 20, 2010

This is an amazing school!! We have wonderful teachers and the best parents ever!! :)

Posted March 28, 2010

Has to be the Best Elementary School in the desert. The Principal, Teachers and Staff truly care about the students and the parent involvement is amazing. Wish the Middle Schools and High Schools were this awesome.

Posted January 7, 2009

I love this school! They do so much to earn extra money for the schools! It is a great school the staff is awesome! My daughter is in kindergarten and I volunteer 2-3 times a week with her class and I have seen the students learn so much, in just these past three months! It is totally awesome I want my daughter to go to no other school!

Posted August 13, 2006

The academics are wonderful as well as the teachers and principle. Dicipline leaves a bit to desired. I was a very involved parent and gave many hours a week of my time as I saw many others do also.

Posted May 29, 2006

Wonderful school. Woderful principle. Very caring teachers.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students72%

Fluent-English proficient and English only66%
Parent education - high school graduate27%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)70%

Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Band

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13590 Havasu Road