No rating

Apple Valley Christian

Private | PK-12 | 206 students

Training Christian Leaders Committed to Excellence

Living in Apple Valley

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $96,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted May 22, 2014

I attended AVC for 12 years and graduated there. I would not recommend this school. I had friends at both Apple Valley HS and Granite Hills HS who said AVC students generally had a reputation in the community of being a bunch of snobs and hypocrites, and as a whole were not Christian leaders committed to excellence. My classmates treated each other horribly I think the average kid would actually have a better experience at a public school. The school claims to offer quality Christian education but their Bible class is a philosophy class where they rarely even open the Bible. Despite graduating with straight A s at AVC, when I started attending a State university I felt under-prepared in math and science, and my writing skills were also lacking. Overall, I believe the school lacks in academic quality and Christian emphasis. That being said, I still don t think AVC is a horrible school, but your kids can do much better somewhere other than there.

Posted April 29, 2014

We would do anything to keep all 5 of our kiddos at Apple Valley Christian! The students, staff and parents pour their lives into our students making t Apple Valley Christian the ideal learning environment both educationally and spiritually. We are blessed to call AVCS ours!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 12, 2014

Is a great and wonderful school, when I arrived there I feel like my own home, all the teacher and the students are able for help you with whatever you need! Is a good Christian school, because you can see God in everything, and they make you think about what God do for us, and how you can live a life that is good for you, without sin and in God's way! I really love this is school, and I'm a foreign student, so this school help me a lot when I arrived there.

Posted April 12, 2014

I went to this school myself from 4th grade until graduating in 1997, and now I teach here and my two boys attend the school as well. The heart of this school is in the people and in Who they follow - the Lord Jesus Christ governs everything about this school. This means that every single thing, whether it be curriculum, parent-teacher interaction, discipline, sports, learning - all is done in excellence, by the help and grace of God. Because of what I see happening in the lives of the students at this school, I see hope for the future. God is at work in this place, in the lives of the family at Apple Valley Christian School. I recommend this school wholeheartedly for any age.

Posted April 12, 2014

Apple Valley Christian School has Christian Leaders committed to excellence. They're dedicated teachers that love their students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 12, 2014

Apple Valley Christian School is provides strong academic content based on a Biblical Worldview. The teachers and staff are well qualified and provide a nurturing safe environment for students.

Posted March 27, 2014

All of our children attended AVCS, graduated with high honors and went on to college. We feel that AVCS prepared them very well for college and their goals for the future. The faculty are very well qualified and teach solid Christian principles integrated into their subjects. Now our grandchildren attend AVCS and are loving it!

Posted September 22, 2013

You can sense that God is the foundation of this school. The leadership cares about and prays for the students. Academics are a cut above so many other schools. They seek out curriculum that is creative, fun and thoroughly informative. This is a dually accredited school that has many alumni involved as teachers, parents and on the school board. I am so blessed to have my child attend this well balanced school.

Posted September 20, 2013

I feel so blessed that my children can go to Apple Valley Christian School. The staff loves God and loves each child and it shows. The environment is one of love and grace with high academic standards. My kindergartener is not only learning to read and write but is also learning Latin and has music class twice a week. From the moment our children started attending this school our whole family became apart of the Apple Valley Christian family. Every day I am blessed by the heart and devotion of the teachers and staff that are intentional that everything they do is for the purpose of training up Christian Leaders Committed to Excellence.

Posted February 25, 2013

My two children go to this school (and one will attend in 2 years) and I cannot say enough good things about it. We LOVE the teachers, students and the cirruculum that is taught here. The students actively seek ways to glorify God, and serve His people.... they live out the gospel The students, teachers and parents are truly one big family and we could not be more blessed to call this school OUR school. My children LOVE this school, and tell me time and time again that there's no place they'd rather be. Yes, sending all three of our children here will be financially difficult, but the sacrifaces we make and will continue to make will be 100% worth it. I could not send my kids to public school where there's 33+ kids in a class. Here they get lots of individual attention and it's a safe, encouraging enviroment. There is no place we'd rather be than avc.

Posted June 13, 2012

THANK YOU GOD FOR APPLE VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL!! What a wonderful school!! My family has been blessed to attend a school with such high standards academically and morally. The teachers and staff create an outstanding atmosphere for learning and growing. A great place where they are training Christian Leaders Committed To Excellence with a bright future! Love for God and each other shine through on a daily basis.

Posted April 5, 2012

My children have attended AVC for the past three years. The education they have received has been excellant. The adminstration, staff and teachers are educators who truly care. The school is WASC accredited and a majority of the students upon graduation from high school there attend four year universities. A better education cannot be found in the high desert!

Posted March 25, 2012

The school is sorely lacking in mathematics, science and English education. I pulled my children out of the school and they spent years catching up. The curriculum is poor and for many years they have not been WASC accredited. They will teach your child that the moon is covered in dust made of human skin cells, that the earth is 6000 years old and humans lived with dinosaurs, and host of other fantasies and myths. If your children ask questions, or mention topics that the teachers don't understand, they will be insulted and shut down publicly. The teachers at this school typically have AAs or BAs from places like Chapman, Azusa and Biola, some of the worst universities in the USA. They are unqualified, as a whole, and do not know much about their subject(s) of instruction. If you want the best future opportunities for your children, do not send them to this school. They will fall behind and they will stand no chance of attending more prominent, public or private universities.

Posted March 7, 2012

Apple Valley Christian has been a God-send. My children have been to New Life (which is excellent, but my kids graduated to junior and high school) and they've been to VVCS. AVCS truly was THE MOST Christian of these "Christian schools" my kids have grown so much closer to God and have a hunger to do well in school. My son who we've always had a problem with him not turning in work was finally helped and encouraged to do better. They took time to help him break these habits and bring his grades up. My daughter (who is a straight A student) is ACTUALLY challenged by this school! She LOVES it! If they could stay at school all day, I think they would! To call the leadership of this school "non-Christian" is slanderous and a lie. I am not a member of that specific church, neither am I connected relationally to any staff. I'm just a High Desert parent who FINALLY found the perfect school for my kids. A CHRISTIAN School that's actually CHRISTIAN!

Posted March 7, 2012

I grew up at Apple Valley Christian School, attending there for twelve years. I know this school intimately and have seen its flaws. It is small, low-funded, and it feels like home. The faculty taught me how to strive to be an achiever in every area, but always challenged me to be ethical and a woman of integrity. Because of the incredible individuals that cultivate the environment at AVC I am confident to approach the world. This school transformed me through truth, love, and the challenge to strive for excellence in every part of my life.

Posted November 11, 2011

This is no longer a good school to have your children in. It used to be about 4 years ago. The non-Christian, dictatorship style of leadership has gotten way out of hand and has even caused problems between the school and the church. The teachers are not qualified and the school does not even offer Spanish or computer classes. They are behind in their cirriculum. My children are so unhappy that they have begged me to remove them. I have. I could no longer justify leaving them there. It would be irresponsible of me as a parent.

Posted February 9, 2010

A.V.C.S. has been a great strong hold and foundation for who I have come to be. Their faculty is exceptional, very qualified and personal; their academics and sports are wonderful; and their offered product, 'Training Christian leaders commited to excellence', is a very pertinent result.

Posted January 12, 2008

I go to this school and I love it
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 24, 2007

Apple Valley Christian school is the answer to our prayers. Our family wanted a school that taught children to love learning, while helping them grow spiritually. AV public schools taught our children to take tests in LA and Math and how to answer fill in the blank answers, but here at AVCS our children are receiving a well rounded academic program of music, art, science, math, LA, history and bible. They have learned to think and answer thoughtful questions. WASC and ACSI agree giving a 6 year accreditation this 2006-2007 school year. The school is focused on building Christian character, evidenced by the teachers. They are the best we've ever seen. That's saying a lot because the teachers in AV unified were great. We have seen the benefit of tying together every aspect of education under the larger package of God's revelation of His truth in the bible.

Posted August 18, 2005

My daughter went to this school for her first three years. Each year I saw a decline in quality and quantity of instruction. Art and Music being dropped. Class sizes were getting larger each year, too. What finally got us to leave wasn't even in our control. We were told by a high ranking person that they were holding a spot for our daughter for the following year and that they would call us if it appeared the class was filling up. They usually called previous students family for the new year. Well, we turned in our application with the full years tuition paid in full only to receive a call from this same person that they have to deny our application. The reason? The class is full. Needless to say, we were shocked. I guess it was for the best since it's going downhill fast.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 24% 11%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 13% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 87% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Universities of California
California State Universities
Christian Universities; Biola,
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Spanish
Portuguese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • CIF Southern Section Academic Champions (2013)
  • CIF Southern Section Academic Champions (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Pastor John Richart, Administrator
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Non-denominational
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (760) 995-3524

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Drama club
  • GETT Club (Recycle awareness)
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor