680 students|Arcadia Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Posted August 31, 2015
The principal has done everything to ruin this school. She started by destroying the once revered music program. She has blamed everyone but herself for this. The principal is incompetent and arrogant. She should be replaced.

Posted August 26, 2015
I am extremely disappointed in the teachers and faculty this school, they don't care much about teaching and super lazy, except very few young teachers, my kid didn't bring home one single test in a whole year, those overpaid unqualified teachers should be fired!!!

Highland Oaks Elementary School 2

Posted December 23, 2014
There are some teachers who are very good. The sad thing is that the administration keeps getting in the way of everything that is good.

Posted October 17, 2014
Good active principal. Renewed emphasis on academia being the first and foremost in priority. Unfortunately a great deal of resources have been expended on satisfying students with special needs, because of a highly vocal and irrational minority. That has to change for the overall well being of the school

Highland Oaks Elementary School 4

Posted December 21, 2012
Good school, with caring teachers. Good programs and support for students. Would like to see a stronger leadership.

Posted January 27, 2012
Large majority of teachers go above and beyond thus the strong API scores.Music program,after school sports and active ,strong Principal.7 year involvement with Highland Oaks with 3 children.Better than local private schools because of superior resources and specific reading ,math and science programs

Posted January 26, 2012
I live in the neighborhood. I visited the school. I decided to homeschool. If you are looking beyond an average education, then don't rely on the basis of Highland Oaks' high API scores. At their open house try to look pass the snazzy technological classroom equipment (computers, "magic" white board, etc), then you will see that what the school produces: worldly ego centric kids. I observed several classrooms during the open house, the ceramic pieces were freekisly identical. Teachers and parents were in a chorus about how much their kids were able to read or write. However meanwhile you had disrespectful children walking over their parents. The teahers were the queen B. No thank you. I want my children to respect their elders namely their parents. I don't want them to be ego centric.

Posted May 16, 2011
We'e been associated with HO since 2003 with our 2 sons, with fantastic results. Of the 12 teachers, 9 were phenomenal, 2 were OK. I've had email correspondence with them on different issues, again with positive results. Children who transfer in from private schools or other districts are almost always behind in their academics & skills. I have never experienced teachers too involved with politics. Parents & politics happens everywhere. Very active parent volunteers are one thing that makes this school great.

Posted April 13, 2011
WOW! I am shocked at reading some of these reviews! To say that only medical doctors are called Dr. is just not a fact! My child went through H.O. and is currently at Foothills. It is because of the many wonderful teachers at H.O. that she is an honor student. (I take very little credit) I have 2 kids in the school now and I have yet to run into a bad teacher. When my child got one one of the so called "BAD" teachers I was horrified because I had heard some of the gossip about her. Naturally, I was concerned but and she was WONDERFUL the entire year. She ended up being one of my child's favorite teachers! Some of the parents in the school gossip way too much about each other and the staff and I have seen kids get sucked into the drama of it all! When I hear a student telling a teacher "I heard (insert personal info here)" you can bet that they overheard their parents gossiping about that teacher. Shameful! Teachers are doing their job and most at H.O. are great at it! The entire staff has to follow district guidelines, NOT the parents so if you have a problem with the way they teach, go to the district and complain or consider private. Teachers need our support!

Posted February 18, 2011
Given this school is in AUSD, I am extremely disappointed in the teachers and faculty. The teacher's at this school are more interested in having parents make copies for them than anything else. The principal will only address concerns only if you donate money to AEF and the school! It has been a truly heartbreaking experience for my child. It is too the point where I would rather pay money to a private school than torture my child any more at this school. Teacher discusses religion during class, checks email and tells the students that they shouldn't be successful because they will just get fired from their jobs anyway! The principal knows all about this and just shrugs it all away, saying teachers will be teachers. Given all the layoff notices in the district, I hope they decide to encourage these horrible teachers to retire!

Highland Oaks Elementary School
10 Virginia Drive, Arcadia, CA  91006-1899
Last modified Highland Oaks Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.