Rio Hondo Elementary School

Public | K-8

Living in Arcadia

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $725,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,590.

Posted June 10, 2014

My son has been going here since 4th grade. A lot of bullys but I know how to handle that problem. Great principal he has helped my son a lot of times. Teachers are OK some are caring but some are inpatient. He will be attending 6 grade in September. He tells me many times this school has been the best one he ever attended. Which is a miracle to me. We often moved a lot due to my job but I'm trying hard for us to stay here until he finishes the 8th grade.

Posted February 9, 2014

No Honor Classes! The Pre-Algebra Teacher Is Not Serious And Is Taking Everything As A Joke! Many Don't Follow The Uniform Policy But Only Some Get In Trouble. The Vice Principal Acts Like They Are The Main School Runner , The Principal Is Great But The Vice Principal Isn't . They Have A Little Cafeteria And Try To Fit 7&8 Together All Classes! Some of the teachers have attitude , if they are going to yell and act miserable then do not attend a job with children ! You do need patience we all know that! the kids should be able to change for p.e not go to there classes sweaty and smelly! This school needs help !

Posted December 6, 2013

I attended this school and it looks like the quality has gone down since I was there.

Posted June 23, 2013

Im a former student and it sadness me that when my kids were of age to attend this school that it has completely changed. The fact that my son can complete his homework on the way home every day shows that the students are not given approriate homework. This school is a program improvemeet school for the past 3 years. My kids will not be attending this school next year, horriable school stay away. Huge bully problem that the principal does nothing to fix the problem.

Posted March 8, 2013

I currently have two children attending this school..and volunteer to help both classes.I understand how we all need to work but we parents need to support the teachers anyway we can.It is a very important year to raise the benchmarks and Raise our awareness of what's happening with our kids.I help and everyone can do a little something makes a big difference for the staff.I like this school and the wonderful community we are a part of.

Posted December 15, 2011

I am an 8th grader currently attending Rio Hondo. I think this school is a great school to go to because all the teachers are dedicated in having the students learn. I have only been going to this school for two years and it's such a great atmosphere to be in!(: The teachers are wonderful to be around. Their teaching skills are great! All the 8th grade teachers are cool(: Including Ms.Brown, Mrs.De Leon & Mrs.Joseph. This school is just phenomenal! The P.E. staff is incredible...they push you to do good on your mile and on homework thats given to you. Also, the AVID program is great! It is very helpful...many kids don't like it but it will help in the long run(: ALot. so yeah its a very good school to go to &7 I will miss it when i do leave to High School next year(:<3

Posted December 7, 2011

Nice and clean. The teachers are very dedicated and respectful. I have a very hectic schedule and sometimes I have to leave my child on School premises over an hour before his class start. The lunch lady take good care of him and it really gives me piece of mind to know that they make my life and my child live easier. They know every student's name and every adult that drops off or pick up the child. I am so glad I have this school in my community.

Posted September 17, 2011

I am a grandparent of 2 Rio Hondo students and 1 that will graduate from Arroyo this year. Their mother went to these schools also. I have always been very happy with this school. I realize that it may have gone downhill a little lately, but with a new principal this year I have high hopes for recovery of the status that we had prior to this. We all need to support and work with the teachers and administrators that are trying to do the best for OUR students. With co-operation we shall prevail.

Posted November 7, 2010

I am an 8th grade student currently attending Rio Hondo! :D I've been here since kindergarten and every teacher I had were just so awesome! This is a really safe place and the teachers really care about the students. We may not have a strict dress code but its not like we dress up like freaks or anything. The campus is also really prettyful. The P.E education is outstanding. We also one of the first schools in the district to have AVID. Builders Club is also another wonderful um, club we have. Im in it and we do alot of things that help the school and community (beach cleanup, campus cleanup, car wash, donations,) I was reading all the horrible comments posted on 2004 and i say Rio Hondo has changed alot..into a really good school. My sister is also attending Rio Hondo in 4th grade and she loves the school.

Posted April 26, 2010

Great teachers that care and help out in any way they can!

Posted March 5, 2010

My nephew & Niece attends this school. At t he beginning of this school year all students where sent home with a letter from the school advising that they have not meet the academics scores for 2 years in row. The letter was giving the parents a chance to send there kids to another surrounding school in the area and they would provide transportation for those parents who elected to do this. I was extremely sadden to hear that this was happening at this school. With this current status of this school the principal/staff should be sending updates to the parents advising them of what changes they are making to bring up the academics scores of the students. The programs have had in place for 2 years now are not working. I would like to know what changes have been implemented to increase scores and ensure a good education????

Posted February 7, 2010

My daughter is in Ms. Contresceri - Ryan's 3rd grade class. I have seen so much progress in her. When my daughter starts to lack proess, I am notified. I love the way Ms. Contresceri handles the children. My daughter tells me she wants to be just like her teacher when she grows up. As far as the rest of the school staff, they're awesome. I love the dances and fund raising events. Moving here from another school district, I am very impressed with Rio Hondo Elementry and happy this is the school both of my children will attend until High School. Thank you,

Posted December 21, 2009

I am currently attending 7th grade at rio hondo.This school is really wonderful.The teachers are helpful,the students are focused,and the school itself is doing better than it was in the past.The only thing i disagree with,not just because i am a student but because i truly feel this way,is the discipline.They are too strict.If we are caught chewing gum,we recieve detention.Harsh!well i love this school and the people in it.It's great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 21, 2007

As the outgoing president of Rio Hondo PTA, I want to thank all the teachers, staff, parents,PTA Board, and mostly the children for making Rio Hondo such a great school! This year's activities were spectacular and PTA was able to assist in many of the following: Kindergarten Orientation, Back-to-School Book Fair, Halloween bake sale, Catalog Fundraiser, Membership drive, Primary grades Thanksgiving Feast, Christmas Concert, Family Fun Night, Founder's Day, Dr. Seuss Night, Family Fitness Night, Open House Book Fair, and look forward to upcoming events such as Concert in the Park, Beach trip, Medieval Times, Disneyland trip, Knott's Berry Farm trip, and 8th grade Promotion Scholarships. In addition to participating, PTA was also able to donate funds for playground equipment, field trips, basketball back boards, and tee-shirts for several clubs. The parent support is outstanding. Good job Rio Hondo and I wish you all success in the years to come.

Posted May 21, 2007

I personal think Rio Hondo is a great school. The teachers are very dedicated to their school and students. There is tremendous parent involvement with tons of activities at the school. I do feel they need to incorporate more afterschool sports..i.e. basketball, football, volleyball..etc. they do offer track and other campus organizations, however contious sports would help them as they bridge into high school sports for those kids that are sports oriented...but other than that I like the school.

Posted March 27, 2007

I am astonished to see the bad reviews. My child is a student at Rio Hondo School. The teachers are the BEST! They are truly dedicated to teaching our future and whole-hearted care about the children. I am a product of the El Monte City School District and would not have my child anywhere else. Compared to other schools in the district, Rio Hondo is on top! I must honestly admit that I am less-than-impressed with the PTA, lack of parental involvement and extracurricular activities. An afterschool sports program is desperately needed and may help in boosting school pride. Overall, I think the teaching staff and children at Rio Hondo are exceptional.

Posted January 31, 2007

A former student,now parent,it saddens me to read all these complaints.If there is a problem then fix it.Personally,I have interacted on a regular basis with all the staff at Rio Hondo. They try to do there part. Its the parents who need to start doing their part.Its a team effort people.We have to practice what we teach our children.There is always room for improvement.

Posted September 28, 2006

I disagree with alot of things at this school. A planner is to wrte homework in only...Not to write what you did for the day as well. I believe that is what a journal is for.

Posted January 11, 2006

I have to question why the funds are spent the way they are. The kids are in desparate need of more playground equipment. The money needs to be spent on more important things like computers, playground equipment, etc. Also, I can't stand how the first through third grades have split 'reading times'. This is very annoying when you have children in different grade levels, and you have to wait around for an hour until your other child lets out. There is no reason to do this!

Posted August 15, 2005

It appears that the school needs more discipline. Dress code is very lacking in enforcment, and some student behavior is not proactively addressed. Many students are distracted socially from their fundamental work, due to social ills by some of the students.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students64%

Parent education - high school graduate59%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)72%
Parent education - college graduate62%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

• Joella Richenberger
Fax number
  • (626) 443-3508

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11425 Wildflower Road