No rating

Holy Angels Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 276 students

Living in Arcadia

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $764,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,660.

Posted May 13, 2013

The principal is top notch and is constantly looking for areas of improvement. He has to be because his school exists in a public school system (Arcadia) that is highly competitive. I've watched graduates succeed and do very well in top-tier high schools (Loyola, FSHA, Mayfield, St. Francis etc.) Generally, my sense of the kids as they mature is that they're well-rounded, respectful, young Catholics who have a sense of what faith, community and service is all about. I don't see any (I'm sure there are some that I just don't know about) of entitled, self-righteous brats, which can be a concern at any private school.

Posted May 6, 2013

Completing our families first year at Holy Angles, I could not have thought of a better school for my kids to attend. Mr. Carroll and the entire faculty are the best. The education and religious foundation provided by Holy Angels is exactly what my family expected from a Catholic School.

Posted April 18, 2012

I wanted my child to go to a school that would teach manners. My decision was wrong. A middle school teacher said they had a credential but isn't even qualified to teach. The teacher is prejudiced and has the education level that's worse than a kid. She has no idea how to teach students and so my child lacked in a education. A middle school math teacher is unfair, skips important lessons, and gives insufficient time for tests and quizzes. He even gets mad when a student corrects his mistakes. Another teacher yells at students because he can. You get in trouble for putting a binder on the floor. He yells at the kids and says stuff like," You guys are as annoying as h*ll." So much for manners. The principal doesn't even care enough to handle the HUGE bullying problems at school. I would rate the elementary part good; but the middle school at Holy Angels isn't good.

Posted March 29, 2012

Its hard to rate a school based on how well your child is doing..... This school has good marks and bad marks, but then again no school is perfect. My daughter has gone to catholic schools since kindergarten and I was once told there is a distinction between a private school and catholic school education. If catholic schools hold that distinct difference, then where is the religion when kids are still bullied at school, or the damage cliches do to a childs self worth? Maybe private school would be a better option

Posted March 9, 2012

We are on our 6th year here and are extremely happy with our choice, having followed my sister and brother-in-law, whose two daughters went through Holy Angels too. Yes, there are cliques, but where can you find anyplace, from schools to offices, without those? I have found you reap what you sow: be involved as much as you can with the school and you will make your own friends. Our principal is wonderful. He is always available to students and parents and is a great example to all. The staff are supportive and generous (I can list many stories of their quiet generosity and kindnesses.) Teachers are excellent! They never kowtow to parents. We are a one-income family and have always felt valued on campus regardless of our bank balance. I think this school's greatest strength is its people and the spirit of welcome and love they try to live every day. Most importantly, our children are very happy here and that is what matters most.

Posted March 9, 2012

Did you know it has a Pre-Kindergarten Program! It is the longest running Catholic Pre-K in the San Gabriel Valley. The student to teacher ratio is fantastic!. Three teachers to 22 students. My children have loved waking up in the morning....it's wonderful to have my children all at the same place.

Posted March 7, 2012

Best Catholic School Despite its high academic rankings, I was hesitant at first to send my son to Holy Angels because of the lack of clergy as teachers. Two years later, I can honestly say I made the right decision. The quality of the school resonates from the top down and there is no doubt that Christ is the center of education at all times. Principal Carroll is not only an excellent communicator, he's remarkably inspirational, and he leads by example. He starts everyday with prayers, pledge of allegiance, and his own personal words of wisdom and encouragement to the kids. My son's teachers have been well organized, disciplined, and competent. They are friendly and have always made themselves accessible to discuss whatever concerns or questions I had. And yes, they aren t afraid to show levity at times, which I appreciate far more than political correctness. They also aren t afraid to hold the kids responsible for wrong doings or laziness. Here s the bottom line as I see it if you want your children to experience the best academic education in a Christ-centered elementary school, can afford to do so, and are willing to do your part, you send them to Holy Angels.

Posted February 21, 2012

The previously written reviews seem like someone with an axe to grind. My child scores in the 90th percentile as well, and the principal has shared the very high ITBS scores with the parents every year. Graduating students test beyond the 12 grade level in science, math and reading consistently. Area high schools constantly rate Holy Angels students as being extremely well prepared. The community is great. I am sorry for that individuals experiences at our great school!

Posted February 21, 2012

As the principal at Holy Angels, some of the comments made here are quite distressing. While I believe recent comments were made in a rather vindictive manner, I am concerned for any person that had such a negative experience at our excellent school (let alone three in under a months time!) If these statements are accurate, they were never brought to my attention or they would have been addressed. For clarity sake: Our standardized tests scores put us in the top 10% of all Catholic schools in the Archdiocese, and our students graduate well beyond grade level. However, we always are working to improve our curriculum, for all levels of learners. Arcadia is full of great schools. It is our job to be the great CATHOLIC school in Arcadia, and to suggest this is not important to us simply means an individual is not participating in our community. Some form of bullying exists in every school, However, it is never tolerated at our school and it is dealt with in a swift and immediate manner when brought to our attention. It will never be tolerated at our school. Finally, we have great parents, great students, great teachers and great priests. I am proud of our school and community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 20, 2012

There are many inaccurate comments below regarding the school and parish. First, the priest/principal always refers to alcoholic comments. I have never heard these in my 12th year as parishioner at Holy Angels. If you referred to the alcoholic comments in the homily last week (02/13/12), I guess you were not paying attention as it was the visiting priest who did that in relation to the Together in Mission plea. Second, the ITBS, have you seen the latest ITBS scores? Maybe not. My child is in the 90th % in the math & other aspects, just for example. Third, Liberal Catholic? Far from the facts. Have you ever stayed during morning assembly? The principal always deliver short but very good moral and traditional Catholic value. Priest? Very traditional & conservative compared to other Catholic churches that I have attended around San Gabriel Valley. Fourth, bullying? Always not acceptable at school. I feel sorry if this really happened to your children. But you have to bring this up to the teacher, then to the principal, not airing this in the internet. Unless you don't have children in Holy Angles anymore, what good does it bring to the school?

Posted February 17, 2012

I agree with the 2 comments prior to mine - very poor curriculum. I wish I had paid attention to these comments prior to sending my children here. I was told this was a great school, however, I was also told this is the more "popular" school. Teachers are very passive and parents are cliquish. Some kids are bullies and the homework is not challenging. The principal/priest always refers to alcoholic comments for jokes. A lot of favortism and not worth the tuition. Arcadia name is the only thing going for this school. Very dissappointed.

Posted February 15, 2012

I agree with both comments below. I have been a member of the parish for years and decided to send my child here, I'm dissapointed. Parents form groups and appear nice but it's all a facade. Some parents have juvenile behavior, so I see why there is bullying. I have to send my child to afterschool programs to help do what the school lacks. I had heard that this school is the more "popular" school, and they just slap the catholic symbol. I gave HA the benefit of my doubt, and clearly HA lives up the reputation. Arcadia is supposed to be one of the best school districts!

Posted February 1, 2012

I agree with the review below. If your kid is an average to above average learner, don t send them here. You will be very disappointed. Your child will be bored. The school is definitely struggling in math and science due to the poor curriculum. The school has a very laid back atmosphere and very laxed in its teachings. It s surprising that it has such a good reputation, maybe because of the nice name Holy Angels and the fact that it is in Arcadia? Half of the parents are blind to all the problems at this school. The other half recognize them but have ignored them due to either their strong connection with the school (alumni, long time parishioner, etc.), the strong friendships that their children have already formed with their classmates or their attraction to a social school. This is not your traditional Catholic school. It is more liberal. There is very little religion, spirituality and Catholic morals taught at this school. And believe me, there is a lot of bullying that goes on in the upper grades. I think if the school focuses less on social activities and more on academics/religion, it will have the potential to retain all of its students.

Posted January 14, 2012

We tried this school thinking that a private Catholic school would be good for our child. When most people think of Catholic school they expect a focus on education, spirituality, modesty and good behavior. What we found out was something entirely different. The kids seem to have a lot of fun with all the extracurricular activities and parties but there is very little focus on the basics like math, reading, science and more focus on art. Academic curriculum is not challenging and shows in low ITBS scores. Their idea of teaching good behavior is holding kids back a grade so they are more mature or in some cases belittling the children who misbehave. Staff is unfriendly and snobby unless you happen to be one of the richer parents. The teachers also play favorites to the students of parents who contribute more. Their acceptance practices seem inconsistent often breaking up siblings or putting children in the wrong grade.

Posted November 3, 2011

I heard about the cliquish rep of the parents and teachers, but I moved my 4 kids here anyway. I have found the parents to be welcoming and there is a great sense of community at this school. The Principal is excellent and the curriculum as well as elective courses are great. There are also additional extracurriculars offered like eduskate and Mad Science. The children up through 8th grade are respectful and helpful. Good morals being taught and wonderful parish.

Posted August 25, 2010

Very cliquish environment among parent group. Some of the staff is rude and cliquish to the richer Parents. Curriculum is very good tho. . Not worth the tuition money I think unless you don't mind having a fund raiser every week and want to deal with cliquish Parents. We were very dissatisfied with the issues that current.

Posted March 9, 2009

Parish support of the school is fantastic. Academic and community service is considered of the highest quality.

Posted June 6, 2007

Very Good School. Great Principal and great Teachers.

Posted February 16, 2007

Good school, my child has learned the most so far here. The parents can be very cliquey. The kids are spoiled, but remember this is arcadia.The teachers are great, some can be selective though.

Posted August 16, 2006

New Principal is providing good leadership and making fundamental changes to school. Principal is well liked and accountable to parents/teachers/school board. Principal stresses fundamentals in school. Students are well behaved and parent involvement is strong. Teachers are experienced and dedicated to providing excellent education. No special or advanced classes.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Yearbook

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mr. Ted Carroll
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Honors track
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Computer animation
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
La Salle