K-8|Private

Bad
Good

I just found this note a teacher from Barnhart wrote my son. He was struggling a bit and having a hard time, here's what she said. "Dear ...... i want you to know that you are more than enough--your intelligence is unique and extraordinary. Trust in that and forge on and great things will come to pass." That special gesture helped him see himself differently and changed the course of events for him. Barnhart teachers really care.....what else matters more?

My child is thriving at Barnhart. He truly enjoys learning, has made lifelong friends he considers family (and so have his parents), he participates fearlessly in their performing arts programs and sports. He is a critical thinker and a great problem solver because his Barnhart education encourages children to learn deeply and explore solving problems (academically and socially) more than one way. We are grateful that they have enough time in their school day to include spanish instruction, art, library, music and computer in all grade levels and PE everyday. We enjoy donating our time to the school because the school teachers, staff and families are wonderful. We truly support and believe in what this school community has created.

While Barnhart may serve the needs of some, it is NOT for everyone. If your child has any learning issues ( or ADHD), you may want to consider another school. My gifted son attended for one year (transferring from a highly-regarded private school that we chose to leave because of the upcoming enormous homework load in middle school) and Barnhart was, for him, a very poor fit. Although he was, and is, very social, he had trouble "fitting in" with the cliquey students in his class- he ate lunch alone for many months. Barnhart felt that the development of "grit" was more important than nurture. The school's philosophy did not fit with ours. I can happily report that our son is now THRIVING (was the top student out of 124) in a public school with greater class size, supportive teachers, and without any academic accommodations. Barnhart might be the right school for your child, but ask questions that address the specific needs of your child. We forgot to ask if the school had a learning specialist and a therapist--something the previous private school offered but, last year, Barnhart did not. Good luck in your search for the right fit for you and your child.

So there is this one parent that is not been at Barnhart for over 2 years and continues to republish the same review over and over. As a parent who has had children at Barnhart for over 5 years I can tell you that they have flourished in this amazing small school. The balance between academics and building the whole child is the best I have seen. Everyday math and writers' workshop are impressive comprehensive programs that balance academics with creating a thinking child. Its a great place to build kids.

Barnhart is the perfect balance of academics, social learning, and creativity. My children are thriving and happy at this school. The teachers are well trained and patient. The administration is open and very responsive.The parent community is involved and dedicated to the overall success of the school.

Barnhart is a great school, with a wonderful, caring community. My son is in first grade and has learned so much in the last two years. I love how integrated all of the learning is, and that creativity and critical thinking is involved every day. Writer's Workshopmis amazing - he has written so many amazing stories already. The teachers ar wonderful and the staff is caring and supportive.

We enrolled our son at Barnhart years ago as a Kindergartner, then our daughter 2 years later. We loved the school; the families, the students, the teachers and the staff... until after the 2011-2012 school year. The wonderful Head of School, Joe Harper, was fired, along with many other incredible administrative staff like Carol Reiter, the librarian Mrs. Yao and many others who made Barnhart what it was. In their place, enter Ethan Williamson, a man brought in to "transform" the school... and "transform" he did... he co-authored a 5-year "strategic plan" to market Barnhart and enforced a "communications policy" which prohibited any speech of which he didn't approve. Violation carries the punishment of "separation from the community." And Barnhart Board thinks this will help improve enrollment?! No thanks. We spoke up against Williamson's attempts to enforce a draconian policy for caring for our diabetic daughter who had been a member of the Barnhart community for years. The result? Immediate expulsion! No, I am not kidding. Williamson didn't like our "tone, tenor or word choice" and threw our innocent kids out of the school. Needless to say, we do not recommend Barnhart School.

My daughter has attended Barnhart for 4 years now. I live the curriculum. Barnhart is a family oriented school that focuses in the whole child and not just math and reading. The environment is very nurturing. The staff is friendly and caring. I love the values program they teach in chapel. My daughter is very happy at Barnhart and I am do proud I made the right choice for her.

Barnhart used to be a great school. Amazing families, teachers, staff and administration. The families are still amazing, but unfortunately after the 2011-2012 school year the board purged the school of nearly ever member of the faculty and staff who made the school what it was. They brought in a new Head of School, Ethan Williamson, who thinks he is the new sheriff in town. He imposed a new "communications policy" which prohibits virtually any dissent and demands that parents not communicate about the school unless he approves. The whole thing is Orwellian. The result is a place in no way reflective of the values or togetherness that made us choose it for our kids years ago. Williamson has fostered a PR machine that is dedicated to bolstering enrollment and, once you are there, expect to be milked for every dollar they can extract. We are no longer at Barnhart, and we would recommend you not be either. Most of the positive reviews you see were posted at the behest of the school to improve their public perception. Don't buy it. Check out many of the amazing schools a stone's throw away from Barnhart and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Barnhart has been such a positive experience for my son. Transferring in from public school at the elementary level could have been very difficult, but my son's teacher made the transition a very smooth one. We came here for the academics, but have come away with so much more. Between the dedicated art room, a veteran music and drama teacher who is a stellar educator, to the excellent Virtues program, we are extremely pleased with our choice of Barnhart. This private school is much less expensive than other area schools, and offers a very well rounded program.

Last modified Barnhart School is a Private school that serves grades K-8